2019 Leaf battery overheating

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That explains it. Guessing the midpoint on the display is 6 Bars from the earlier leaf.

Still surprised they didn’t have an actuator run the AC over the battery as a setting. Seems like that would be easy to do.

OrientExpress said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Ok, was hoping to have more but apparently its so new, most Nissan service advisors have not heard of it but a RapidGate fix for NA now exists. Due to my tech (if you know the area you know why I will wait for him) leaving on vacation at noon today, I won't get the update until Aug 1st. The wait will be torturous.

I reached out to Nissan this morning to get more information on this, and here is the response I received from Jeff Wandell from Nissan's Product and Technology Communications:

"I can confirm that a software update that reduced the quick charging safeguards was offered to customers in Europe. We’re currently investigating offering the software in the U.S. for 2018 – 2019 40 kWh LEAFs but have nothing to announce at this time.
As things progress forward, I’ll let you know of any changes".

Sorry but no cigar, at least I got Nissan to say that they were investigating offering it to US customers, but there isn't any basis that there is an update today.

Keep reaching. Try mentioning "EL19-018 and reference NTB19-056; “2018-2019 LEAF; LITHIUM-ION BATTERY WILL NOT QUICK CHARGE.”

More details

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/23/nissan-quietly-releases-rapidgate-software-update-for-north-american-leaf-owners/

lorenfb said:
Link please.
So all the years of Leaf heat related analyzes of degradation noted on MNL resulted in misguided inferences, right?
Yes, Nissan did make some slight improvements in the Leaf's battery tolerance to heat over the years, but hardly
overwhelming or minimizing one's concern for Leaf battery heat. You've never kept any of your Leafs long enough
to really see any significant heat related degradation, besides living in the PNW provides a poor sample base location
for heat related effects.

We have been over this a million times and your response has not changed. What is your explanation of people IN THE NORTHWEST who had accelerated degradation? Some of them lived less than 20 miles from me?

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
Link please.
So all the years of Leaf heat related analyzes of degradation noted on MNL resulted in misguided inferences, right?
Yes, Nissan did make some slight improvements in the Leaf's battery tolerance to heat over the years, but hardly
overwhelming or minimizing one's concern for Leaf battery heat. You've never kept any of your Leafs long enough
to really see any significant heat related degradation, besides living in the PNW provides a poor sample base location

We have been over this a million times and your response has not changed. What is your explanation of people IN THE NORTHWEST who had accelerated degradation? Some of them lived less than 20 miles from me?

There're other factors that contribute to degradation besides heat, remember? Although heat is the dominant one.

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
Link please.

There're other factors that contribute to degradation besides heat, remember? Although heat is the dominant one.
Exactly.

This is the problem with people who live by anecdotes.

I reached out again to Nissan about this, and this time I received this reply:

"I apologize as I know this is different information than I recently provided you. At this point yes, I can confirm that Nissan has released a software update for early 2018-2019 LEAF customers with a 40kWh battery in the U.S. and Canada to update quick charging software. This update allows for faster charging during multiple quick charging sessions. Customers can visit their local Nissan dealership to confirm if they’re vehicle requires an update and schedule one if needed."

So good, This will certainly placate those that feel that this is a big deal. Congratulations to all.

OrientExpress said:
I reached out again to Nissan about this, and this time I received this reply:

So good, This will certainly placate those that feel that this is a big deal. Congratulations to all.

Right. So those new to a Leaf and how heat affects battery degradation can additionally accelerate long term degradation
now with the firmware update. And the lemmings will surely follow!

I wonder if I should get the update next time I'm going in for service? I only use my leaf for commuting and in town, so I have never fast charged. I feel bad for those who are effected by rapid charge issues but I knew going in about that as a limitation so I never planned to even use it that way.

I've never had a issue with heat yet, and we are as hot as any place except Phoenix. (Degradation aside)

So far this summer I regularly see the temp guage in the center and then one bar above center, but it is what it is. I can get the exact temps if I want via Leaf Spy but I'm not sure if its worth bothering. So far I haven't had any issues with LVL2 charging at night nor the car getting grumpy during the heat of the day,

Now I'm sure its not good on the long term health of the battery but I got such a good deal on the car it doesn't matter. It should stay healthy enough for a good few years of life and then I'll trade it in. If I had paid out of my pocket the ridiculous MSRP then I'd probably be paranoid over the slow drop in my SOH.

The only thing I've noticed with the heat is the AC lowering my efficiency, which I would expect.

lorenfb said:
Right. So those new to a Leaf and how heat affects battery degradation can additionally accelerate long term degradation
now with the firmware update. And the lemmings will surely follow!

Probably, but this group always needs something to whine about, so it's a marriage made in heaven! :D

danrjones said:
I wonder if I should get the update next time I'm going in for service? I only use my leaf for commuting and in town, so I have never fast charged. I feel bad for those who are effected by rapid charge issues but I knew going in about that as a limitation so I never planned to even use it that way.

I've never had a issue with heat yet, and we are as hot as any place except Phoenix. (Degradation aside)

So far this summer I regularly see the temp guage in the center and then one bar above center, but it is what it is. I can get the exact temps if I want via Leaf Spy but I'm not sure if its worth bothering. So far I haven't had any issues with LVL2 charging at night nor the car getting grumpy during the heat of the day,

Now I'm sure its not good on the long term health of the battery but I got such a good deal on the car it doesn't matter. It should stay healthy enough for a good few years of life and then I'll trade it in. If I had paid out of my pocket the ridiculous MSRP then I'd probably be paranoid over the slow drop in my SOH.

The only thing I've noticed with the heat is the AC lowering my efficiency, which I would expect.

As you probably know, the hot weather degradation testing for the redesigned batteries in the 18-19 LEAF was done just south of you in Stanfield Az (and in Dubai), and so far it looks like these newer designs are holding their own quite well.

I'm treating it as well as can be expected anyway. I keep my charge between about 40% and 80% and I'm not a hard driver. I actually keep it outside at night because we cool off outside while my garage stays hot. I know some folks here on the forum even AC their garage to help the battery cool off but I've decided not to do that, as that's money out of my pocket too. And I shouldn't have to.

Realistically I think the warranty only said that I can't keep it above like 120F ambient for 48 hours sustained or something like that, which should never happen.

The moral of this story is that if you want to own one car for all your driving needs, the Nissan leaf is not the answer.

What BEV car would you recommend to owners who want to own one car? One with active cooling?

Wainwright said:
The moral of this story is that if you want to own one car for all your driving needs, the Nissan leaf is not the answer.

What BEV car would you recommend to owners who want to own one car? One with active cooling?

• Enough Range
    Excellent charging network
    Destination charging (home +/- work)
    Active Cooling
    In your price range

For now only Tesla fills the bill in the USA. More choices are available in Europe since they have a well developed CCS network.
A good compromise is a PHEV like the Prius Prime

SageBrush said:
Wainwright said:

• Enough Range
    Excellent charging network
    Destination charging (home +/- work)
    Active Cooling
    In your price range

For now only Tesla fills the bill in the USA. More choices are available in Europe since they have a well developed CCS network.
A good compromise is a PHEV like the Prius Prime

Sage is a Tesla Fanbouy. He is here to talk trash. He would never recommend anything other than a Tesla car, even to someone that wants an electric bicycle.

No car has an excellent charging network. Tesla's is the best, but CCS is catching up fast. Chademo is last. No network has a single location in North Dakota, for a state sized hole in the network. Tesla is the sales leader, but there are serious longer term issues with Tesla reliability.

Chevy Bolt would be in a much lower price range, and would have only an excellent charging network for some areas. Yes, charges slower. Yes, some don't care for the seats, including me. A hatchback is a more practical car that a sedan for many people.

Hyundai Kona Electric or an Audi ETron would be better SUVs than the Model X with the gimmicky rear doors. The Hyundai is cheaper. The ETron is very nice, I own one. Hyundai is in limited states only.

Several other EVs are limited states only, such as Kia Niro Electric, Kia Soul and some that would not fit your range want.

Tesla has three active supercharger locations in North Dakota and three under construction.

Pemina, Grand Forks, and Jamestown are active.

Bismarck, Dickinson, and Fargo are under construction.

To view the state of Tesla’s coverage see the supercharge.info website (I’m unaffiliated).

mtndrew1 said:
Tesla has three active supercharger locations in North Dakota and three under construction.

Pemina, Grand Forks, and Jamestown are active.

Bismarck, Dickinson, and Fargo are under construction.
Pemina, Grand Forks, and Jamestown are not active; they are still only at the permit stage (blue). Red is active on supercharge.info. There are three in construction that look like they should open before the end of the year.

Thus, WetEV is right (at least for a few more weeks) and there still are no DCFC in ND.

Horrors, I guess I should go out and buy an ICE, because clearly EV-only can't work if I can't get through that state I live nowhere near.

jlv said:
Thus, WetEV is right (at least for a few more weeks) and there still are no DCFC in ND.

Horrors, I guess I should go out and buy an ICE, because clearly EV-only can't work if I can't get through that state I live nowhere near.

You are making my point.

If the Chademo network (or some other network) meets your needs for where you go, then why worry about ND or some other place that is nowhere nearby?

No current or near future charging network will support every possible road trip you might want to take.

Many people's trips can be supported by the existing networks. Do not let the ideal, or the very best, get in the way of the good enough.

Back