Nissan dealer tells me to buy Tesla

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcherniaev

I've been a very long time supporter of Nissan LEAF. In short, I owned two 2011, 2013, 2015, and currently own two 2018 LEAFs. I recently went in to see if the dealer can solve the problem with a very slow charging on CHAdeMO on one of my LEAFs. Basically, it never goes over 24 kW no matter the temperature or the SOC.

After a couple of rounds of discussions with the dealer reps, where they would lie, tell me all kinds of nonsense, and so on, I was getting really frustrated. Just to give you an example of one of the things they told me: "After charging up to about 30%, the battery gets really hot, so the car stops charging and waits for the battery to cool down before it can charge any more", and I have several similar statements form them. So after they told me that the charger I am using is probably limited to whatever max rate I am getting and I responded that my Tesla gets full 47 kW from that same charger (I have a CHAdeMO adapter for my Tesla), they told me that I should go and buy a Tesla. No kidding.

So I called Nissan's 800 number, but got nowhere. So I guess they are correct in that I should buy another Tesla. At least their staff knows the difference between kW and kWh. It is really sad for me though. I do love my Tesla, but I also have a long history with LEAFs, and I loved my LEAFs. But I just don't see any future for Nissan, and that truly makes me sad.

The wouldn't install the "rapidgate" fix or you already had it applied?

If you'd bought a Bolt, you can get full DC FCing speeds due to thermal management until it starts throttling down at around 50 to 55% or so. You can run it down, rinse and repeat.

I've used the exact unit (#41) at the location at https://electricrevs.com/2018/07/17/watch-a-bolt-ev-at-a-chargepoint-express-250-charge-at-up-to-55-kw/ numerous times and seen 54 to 55 kW until I was above the point where it throttles. Besides Teslas, other thermally management BEVs have batteries that don't overheat.

Too bad Bolt's price advantage is withering away with tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs being $1875 now, just like Tesla...

I knew many people who could afford a Tesla S but didn’t want to spend that much on a car and leased a leaf as a commuter as well.

Now with the 3 priced so low, this is no longer true. Not sure who the leaf is for anymore.

Me neither. That is why I went with the Tesla... And I still refuse to buy any EV without a proper TMS.

BrianMoser said:
Now with the 3 priced so low, this is no longer true. Not sure who the leaf is for anymore.

LeftieBiker said:

Those for whom comfort and ease of access are more important than performance.
I find my Tesla Model 3 to be extremely comfortable and no problem at all to enter and exit.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

I find my Tesla Model 3 to be extremely comfortable and no problem at all to enter and exit.

There are those who say the same about their sport bikes, Miatas and F-1 race cars as well. I'm not saying that no one is comfortable in a Model 3. I'm saying that those who actually find ease of access and comfort while driving to be important are more likely to find a Leaf accommodating of their needs. This has been confirmed numerous times here, by people who have driven both.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

I think this is more of a personal thing. My neighbour loves his model 3 and has no problem with ingress and egress. To some degree it depends on height, physical condition etc. For us (mid to late fifties) the Leaf is a lot easier for us. Comfort is relative although the leaf is a lot quieter than the model 3. The Eplus is even quieter. He always has his tunes cranked so he doesn’t care. I’m always listening to podcasts in Arabic and need all the help I can get. Lol.

The model 3 is a great car but it is missing a few features (that the leaf has) that probably should be on a car of that caliber. Better looking car though. Love the lines of all the Tesla’s.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm saying that those who actually find ease of access and comfort while driving to be important are more likely to find a Leaf accommodating of their needs.
I disagree.
@webleafowners is right -- no preconceptions required or advised.
As for noise -- I very much appreciate quiet cars and I love the quiet of my Tesla. This is also a YMMV, and it depends on lot on local roads and tyre choice.

It's not a matter of preconceptions to say that a car with a higher roof and ground clearance and more upright seating position with less aggressive bolsters and more seat/steering wheel clearance is easier for people who have limited flexibility/strength to get into/out of, than one that requires them to lower themselves into/hoist themselves out of it. Tesla's "Easy Entry" mode can help with the clearance issues but not the height one; the fact that such a mode is provided is an indication that it's an issue.

Whether or not an individual fits into that category is specific to them, not a general conclusion.

Yes, things like degree of knee and back flexing required to get in and out of a car depend on the height and limb length of the individual only, not on their preconceptions. Comfort is indeed relative, but if a car provides more of the features and dimensions associated with comfort, then most people will find it a more comfortable car. My '86 Civic Si hatchback was quite low and had long, heavy coupe doors that required extra effort to open and close, but I - much younger and healthier then - didn't find it uncomfortable. I did find the lack of cruise control a constant irritant though, because it increased driver fatigue on longer trips. It also had a somewhat stiff ride, but I didn't mind that because it handled like a dream. IOW I didn't imagine discomfort that wasn't there for my healthier body, but I also didn't forgive the car for features it should have had but didn't, or believe that the ride was nice because it handled so well.

LeftieBiker said:
Comfort is indeed relative, but if a car provides more of the features and dimensions associated with comfort, then most people will find it a more comfortable car.
No.
A car that e.g. requires more knee bending than you can do comfortably will be uncomfortable for you, but anything less than that is not a problem.

I own both cars and find the Model 3 more comfortable than our LEAF because it has much better seats. I can sit for hours in the Tesla while short drives in the LEAF are fine ... but enough.

GRA said:
It's not a matter of preconceptions to say that a car with a higher roof and ground clearance and more upright seating position with less aggressive bolsters and more seat/steering wheel clearance is easier for people who have limited flexibility/strength to get into/out of, than one that requires them to lower themselves into/hoist themselves out of it. Tesla's "Easy Entry" mode can help with the clearance issues but not the height one; the fact that such a mode is provided is an indication that it's an issue.

Whether or not an individual fits into that category is specific to them, not a general conclusion.
Yes - both my wife & my mother-in-law found Leaf easier than 3.

But then, when Y comes next year, people will find it easier to get in/out than 3 & Leaf ?

evnow said:
But then, when Y comes next year, people will find it easier to get in/out than 3 & Leaf ?

Probably so, the order by degree of difficulty will be S3XY, which is likely another Elon inside joke.

This should all be largely academic. I'd never suggest to anyone that they buy or lease a car without driving it first, so people will be making their own decisions on comfort. In my reading here and elsewhere, people who like comfortable cars usually like the Leaf, and those who like sporty cars prefer the Model 3, but that doesn't decide anything for any given individual, couple, or family.

I’m 72 years old, 250 lbs 6 ft tall. I had a deposit on a Model 3 but after a test drive I passed on it and bought a Leaf plus. I can afford either car and pay cash.

I found the M3 hard on my neck having to bend it to clear the roof getting into the M3. Perhaps my longer upper torso is my problem. In the past as a Corvette owner I didn’t care if I needed to contort myself to get in and ou5 of it. Now older and “bigger” it would be a problem.

The Leaf Plus is perfect for us. In fact I traded in a 2018 Leaf and a 2018 Ford Titanium Focus on the Leaf +. We use the Leaf for more than 95% of our driving needs.

We also have a paid for Lexus RX450h hybrid for longer road trips. For vacation travel I have a Ford F-350 diesel towing a Reflection 5th wheel RV. Best of all worlds.

Flyct said:
I’m 72 years old, 250 lbs 6 ft tall. I had a deposit on a Model 3 but after a test drive I passed on it and bought a Leaf plus. I can afford either car and pay cash.

I found the M3 hard on my neck having to bend it to clear the roof getting into the M3. Perhaps my longer upper torso is my problem. In the past as a Corvette owner I didn’t care if I needed to contort myself to get in and ou5 of it. Now older and “bigger” it would be a problem.

My 2017 LEAF SV has, for the meantime, replaced a 2013 Chevrolet Volt. I almost always had to tilt my head to avoid a clunk when entering the Volt (or any other GM sedan). The LEAF is much easier in and out, and makes our 2011 Prius feel low and cramped by comparison.

Back