Leaf Plus - Why so low inventory?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, here is the answer. All of the Leaf inventory is going to Ireland. I could see how between climate and size how the leaf would be ideal.

https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/109854/increased-demand-for-electric-and-hybrid-vehicles
Would be interesting to know if those are produced in the UK (Sunderland), the US or Japan. If produced in Sunderland, I wonder if there's some supply chain/parts bottleneck of some parts common to Leafs produced in all 3 places...

That would be interesting to know. After watching the Bjorn videos on the Leaf Plus, I found it interesting that there are subtle differences between the Leaf in the US and Europe.

ex. the right knob on the screen has a zoom function in Europe, but not in the us.

Noticed that my dealer has a Plus in inventory. The Plus models are no longer advertised with any sort of discount. (the single 40 Leaf has a discount online). Guessing you could get a bit off in person.

Telsa was likely pretty smart to better secure its battery supply, as it feels like Nissan now on top of Kia/Hyundai are somewhat supply constrained.

At MSRP, the Tesla feels like a better deal, as you can get a base SR+ for 42K (40 post Fed) (assuming you don't want white), vs 43K (35-36 post Fed), the extra 5K for a mildly better range and charge network might be worth it.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Noticed that my dealer has a Plus in inventory. The Plus models are no longer advertised with any sort of discount. (the single 40 Leaf has a discount online). Guessing you could get a bit off in person.

Telsa was likely pretty smart to better secure its battery supply, as it feels like Nissan now on top of Kia/Hyundai are somewhat supply constrained.

At MSRP, the Tesla feels like a better deal, as you can get a base SR+ for 42K (40 post Fed) (assuming you don't want white), vs 43K (35-36 post Fed), the extra 5K for a mildly better range and charge network might be worth it.

It’s not just a money thing though. We love the model 3. Amazing car. But lots of unchecked boxes for our needs.

Nissan over Tesla considerations for us were.

- Hatchback
- Easier ingress and egress.
- Heated steering wheel for sore 56 year old hands
- Homelink standard. (Not really important for us)
- Heat pump so less energy use in mildly cold temps...like where we live in BC.
- E-Pedal. (One of our favourite things about the Leaf.
- all around 360 view camera display
- pretty much no vampire drain. Important for us as we leave the country for a month or more at a time without being able to plug in.
- rear cross traffic alert avoidance system.
- much quieter than the model 3.
- we liked the behaviour of the pro pilot although the autopilot was fine.
- local service.

These things are not important to everybody but they were to us.

Still love seeing the model 3 in red though. Great looking car.

webeleafowners said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

It’s not just a money thing though. We love tgecmodel 3. Amazing car. But lots of unchecked boxes for our needs.

- Hatchback
- pretty much no vampire drain. Important for us as we leave the country for a month or more at a time without being able to plug in.
- local service.

Agree on all counts.

For us though, the interior of the model 3 is a deal-killer. No I am not going fishing on a giant touch screen for virtually all of my controls. Sorry. And yes, I do strongly prefer an instrument cluster. Just because you can get used to glancing to the side to check your speed and everything else doesn't mean it's a good idea. I really like what Audi and others are doing around evolving the existing ergonomic solutions, rather than replacing them wholesale. The eTron is simply gorgeous inside.

Finally, while fairly priced for what it is, the model 3 is just too expensive as a second car, and in our household, given our particular needs, any electric car will be a second car for several generations yet. We tow a small camper through the high mountains. Not happening in any reasonable manner any time soon. (You can color me skeptical, put it that way.) We did drive the model 3 enough to be certain though, before going in a different direction.

Very happy with our Leaf so far. No complaints. Fits our chosen usage very well. A good value proposition for us. For now at least, we're basically not driving our other cars hardly at all. That may change some when winter hits.

We pick up the new wheels and snow tires tomorrow. Then it's off to Ft. Collins, 75 mi north. Our first longer trip with the Leaf. Should be fun.

webeleafowners said:
It’s not just a money thing though. We love the model 3. Amazing car. But lots of unchecked boxes for our needs.

- Hatchback
- local service.

This reads exactly how I would have replied. I can afford either Tesla or Leaf. I had $1,000 deposit on a Model 3 when it was announced. After test driving the Model 3 I realized that egress and ingress was similar to the corvettes I owned in my younger years. With my bad back today it was not easy to get in and out of the Model 3.

I was impressed with the Tesla acceleration but the Leaf acceleration is more than ample.

I had a 40 kWh Leaf and was looking for additional range. Price actually being very similar wasn’t a factor since I can afford to purchase either for cash.

I’m very happy with our Leaf Plus and the $7,500 tax credit just was a bonus.

Who knows. It does seem that Nissan can get a higher price in the new markets than in the US, so wouldn’t surprise me if the product was being shipped to improve margins.

Anyone on the board work in/around the Smyrna morning plant?

milanski said:
bump

looking to buy a Plus SL in Colorado, wondering if announcement of 2020 version is right around the corner.

There's a 2020 thread in the general portion of the forum, but to summarize for you:

Nobody knows anything about the 2020. Or if they do, they are keeping it secret.

For Colorado:
"Also approved during the session is the extension of the end date of tax incentives on electric vehicles purchased through 2025. Buying an electric, plug-in hybrid electric or hydrogen vehicle will qualify for tax-credits of $2,500 through 2022 and drop to $2,000 for purchases through Jan. 1, 2026. Leased electric vehicles get a $1,500 credit. Tax credits are higher for heavy-duty electric trucks. The current tax credit, which ends Jan. 1, 2020, is $5,000 for electric and hydrogen passenger vehicles."

Also:
"Xcel Energy customers can drive the all-electric 2018 or 2019 Nissan LEAF® with a special manufacture's rebate of $3,500, and $2,500 on the new 2019 LEAF® PLUS model. Bring in your Xcel Energy bill or reference certification code B64279 to your local Nissan dealership to learn about the details."

Now their website shows 74 new Leafs for sale.

Thanks for the info Bouldergramp. I wasn't aware the CO state credit was dropping next year. And those Xcel rebates...it's such a great deal and they just keep getting renewed. When I bought my Leaf in July 2017 it was the 'last' month of the Xcel rebate. And it had already been renewed once at that point. I think it's been renewed almost continuously since then although the amounts have varied over time a bit.

On a related note, I'm not going to get my solar panels up this year but the credit for that is from the Fed's and only drops from 30% to 26% next year, IIRC.

I love that the Leaf still gets the photo op here for the UK, even though I would guess it was not the top seller.

https://insideevs.com/news/380543/uk-plugin-car-sales-october-2019/

Happened to be by my dealer today for a quick (free Chademo) and some questions about the Pathfinder.

He told me supply in the last 2 weeks has suddenly opened up. Where it was very difficult to even get 1 plus before, they were able to get 7 or 8 at one time. Not much interest in the 40 Leaf anymore.

Wonder if the Latam pipeline if finally filled or if they found a way to up production/lower cost.

Back