Electrify America's DCFC Stations Favor CCS Charging Standard

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnlocke said:
It's the Walmart on Murphy Canyon off the I-15 at Aero Drive. There don't appear to be any other chargers nearby. I haven't checked any other locations locally where there are Walmarts.

This location?

https://www.plugshare.com/location/197263

Both Plugshare and EA show Chademo will be at that location.

WetEV said:
johnlocke said:
It's the Walmart on Murphy Canyon off the I-15 at Aero Drive. There don't appear to be any other chargers nearby. I haven't checked any other locations locally where there are Walmarts.

This location?

That's the one but if you look at the photo it shows two kiosks with two cables each. All are marked CCS 150KW. Unless that small Kiosk on the right with a single cable is Chademo ( it looked like level 2 J1772) then there aren't any.

WetEV said:
johnlocke said:

This location?

That's the one but if you look at the photo it shows two kiosks with two cables each. All are marked CCS 150KW. Unless that small Kiosk on the right with a single cable is Chademo ( it looked like level 2 J1772) then there aren't any.

The small post is the L2. However, in the second photo (from July) on Plugshare, you can see through the gate of the power conditioning equipment enclosure on the right, and well behind it, what appears to be a tall cardboard box mounted on a concrete pad. That could be the CCS-CHAdeMO dispenser, covered by its box. Is the fence still up, or has it been removed and you are able to walk all around the site?

GRA said:
The small post is the L2. However, in the second photo (from July) on Plugshare, you can see through the gate of the power conditioning equipment enclosure on the right, and well behind it, what appears to be a tall cardboard box mounted on a concrete pad. That could be the CCS-CHAdeMO dispenser, covered by its box. Is the fence still up, or has it been removed and you are able to walk all around the site?
I did actually walk the site this morning just out of curiosity. I didn't see any extra chargers laying around. There is a pad to the right of the power enclosure though. There are two conduit openings that are taped closed with pull tape sticking out in an indentation in the pad. Oddly. this pad is surrounded by barrier posts making it impossible to park in front of. You could park to the right of this pad (there are two parking spaces there). I guess this might be where a Chademo station could go. It could be that there's a problem obtaining a Chademo station at the moment. It seems odd that they would put a station in that you couldn't park in front of. Also the CCS stations are clearly marked for EV Charging Only and there are no similar markings on the other side. I do see what you mean about the cardboard box and it is located far enough away that I might have missed it since I was looking at the CCS stations and the power enclosure area. I'll check again tomorrow.

johnlocke said:
GRA said:
I did actually walk the site this morning just out of curiosity. I didn't see any extra chargers laying around. There is a pad to the right of the power enclosure though. There are two conduit openings that are taped closed with pull tape sticking out in an indentation in the pad. Oddly. this pad is surrounded by barrier posts making it impossible to park in front of. You could park to the right of this pad (there are two parking spaces there). I guess this might be where a Chademo station could go. It could be that there's a problem obtaining a Chademo station at the moment. It seems odd that they would put a station in that you couldn't park in front of. Also the CCS stations are clearly marked for EV Charging Only and there are no similar markings on the other side. I do see what you mean about the cardboard box and it is located far enough away that I might have missed it since I was looking at the CCS stations and the power enclosure area. I'll check again tomorrow.

The pad you describe sounds more like a transformer pad. Is there a transformer in place anywhere?

DougWantsALeaf said:
About half the chademo’s are put at 150 KW stations. Those 200 AMP stations are able to exceed the 50 kW sticker and deliver far higher throughout.

AFAIK, all of EA's CCS-CHAdeMO stations have the 50kW CHAdeMO sharing the dispenser with a 150kW CCS connector. That's been the case with all the ones I've seen, in person or in photos.

GRA said:
johnlocke said:
GRA said:

The pad you describe sounds more like a transformer pad. Is there a transformer in place anywhere?
There's an equipment enclosure but it has 8' walls and a couple of solid doors so I can't see inside. I'd expect the transformer to be inside there. I did talk to an SDG&E guy who was there. SDG&E doesn't have keys or codes to get inside the enclosure yet so they can't finish up their work. I did find the CCS/Chademo station finally. It's 400 feet north and west of the enclosure next to the main building near the entrance to the garden shop. one EV only parking space next to the handicapped spaces. It's kind of obvious if you happen to look there. Just not where you would expect it to be.

johnlocke said:
GRA said:
johnlocke said:

There's an equipment enclosure but it has 8' walls and a couple of solid doors so I can't see inside. I'd expect the transformer to be inside there. I did talk to an SDG&E guy who was there. SDG&E doesn't have keys or codes to get inside the enclosure yet so they can't finish up their work. I did find the CCS/Chademo station finally. It's 400 feet north and west of the enclosure next to the main building near the entrance to the garden shop. one EV only parking space next to the handicapped spaces. It's kind of obvious if you happen to look there. Just not where you would expect it to be.

In the stations I've looked at the transformer;'s outside of the equipment enclosure on an exposed pad with barrier posts, just as you described. Whether that's a requirement of the utility or for some other reason IDK. The posts can often be removed to allow access, but can be locked in place near the base.

As to the distance of the CCS/CHAdeMO unit from the others, I have no idea why they're doing that, but the site in Tracy has a somewhat similar arrangement. Maybe they're trying to keep the CHAdeMO separate from the others so that the CCS people won't see it but will charge at the obvious spot, and only those people with more motivation will look for it. But that implies that EA actually cares about CHAdeMO customers, which seems unlikely, so it's a mystery.

GRA said:
johnlocke said:
GRA said:

In the stations I've looked at the transformer;'s outside of the equipment enclosure on an exposed pad with barrier posts, just as you described. Whether that's a requirement of the utility or for some other reason IDK. The posts can often be removed to allow access, but can be locked in place near the base.

As to the distance of the CCS/CHAdeMO unit from the others, I have no idea why they're doing that, but the site in Tracy has a somewhat similar arrangement. Maybe they're trying to keep the CHAdeMO separate from the others so that the CCS people won't see it but will charge at the obvious spot, and only those people with more motivation will look for it. But that implies that EA actually cares about CHAdeMO customers, which seems unlikely, so it's a mystery.
I doubt EA gives a damn about Chademo users. The placement is bad because it's only one non-handicapped spot and it's next to the Garden Shop. It would have be much better to put it out in the parking lot and dedicate two or three spaces. I'm afraid that it's going to be ICE'd frequently by idiots running into the Garden Shop for something. This whole exercise has me thinking about buying an EV with CCS charging rather than Chademo next time.

Guessing as more of the supercharger location book up, more overflow will go to the EA Chademo. Already if you look in the Plugshare logs, if feels like half the Chademo sessions are being had by Tesla’s. Can only see that going up.
My hope is that the business of selling power will drive the decision of more availability of Chademo at EA stations. I also hope Tesla ups the throughput in the adapter as more and more Chademos can do 75 or more va. The older stations which would cap out at 45.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Guessing as more of the supercharger location book up, more overflow will go to the EA Chademo. Already if you look in the Plugshare logs, if feels like half the Chademo sessions are being had by Tesla’s. Can only see that going up.
My hope is that the business of selling power will drive the decision of more availability of Chademo at EA stations. I also hope Tesla ups the throughput in the adapter as more and more Chademos can do 75 or more va. The older stations which would cap out at 45.
Since Tesla already supports CCS on the Model 3 in Europe, it would be nice of them to add it to US models as well. It would be smart as well since there are a lot more CCS chargers than Chademo. It would be smart of Nissan convert to CCS as well for their US models. So of course, Nissan will never do it.

It would be smart for VW, Ford, and GM to convert to Chademo and drop CCS as Nissan, Mitsubishi, and all Tesla’s can already use the chargers in the Us and their are still more Chademo locations (locations not stalls) than CCS.

johnlocke said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Since Tesla already supports CCS on the Model 3 in Europe, it would be nice of them to add it to US models as well. It would be smart as well since there are a lot more CCS chargers than Chademo. It would be smart of Nissan convert to CCS as well for their US models. So of course, Nissan will never do it.

I do wonder if Tesla will go to CCS here for the Model Y, at the same time providing some of same at SC sites, and gradually converting over as the older models disappear. A new model intro seems to be the best time to make such a conversion, as was the case with the Model 3 in Europe, and as CCS is currently superior in power output to CHAdeMO as well as likely cheaper per car install and used by far more manufacturers here, this just seems like the way to go.

For BEVs/quick charging to really take off, it will be necessary to use a single, common QC standard here, which J1772 is now for L2. While I've always appreciated the elegance of Tesla's connector and would have happily mandated its adoption if I were dictator, that's obviously not going to be the universal standard here or anywhere else. It seems the best we'll be able to do is continent-wide standards, which has been good enough for electric voltages and frequencies, TVs and the like. Cars are somewhat more mobile than the former and a lot more expensive than the latter, but the number that are likely to move from one continent to another incompatible one is likely to be even smaller than such auto moves are now.

GRA said:
johnlocke said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

I do wonder if Tesla will go to CCS here for the Model Y, at the same time providing some of same at SC sites, and gradually converting over as the older models disappear. A new model intro seems to be the best time to make such a conversion, as was the case with the Model 3 in Europe, and as CCS is currently superior in power output to CHAdeMO as well as likely cheaper per car install and used by far more manufacturers here, this just seems like the way to go.

For BEVs/quick charging to really take off, it will be necessary to use a single, common QC standard here, which J1772 is now for L2. While I've always appreciated the elegance of Tesla's connector and would have happily mandated its adoption if I were dictator, that's obviously not going to be the universal standard here or anywhere else. It seems the best we'll be able to do is continent-wide standards, which has been good enough for electric voltages and frequencies, TVs and the like. Cars are somewhat more mobile than the former and a lot more expensive than the latter, but the number that are likely to move from one continent to another incompatible one is likely to be even smaller than such auto moves are now.
Model 3's in Europe actually have two charge ports. One for Tesla chargers and a second for CCS. They are both located behind the charge port door. It must not be too difficult to do and would be a nice perk. Tesla could retain the Tesla port for Supercharging but provide CCS for convenience. Tesla also has a converter plug for CCS to Tesla for older Tesla's but I don't know if it is fully operational yet.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Yes, but now have units anxiety after being corrected so many times, so I just list the numbers and everyone just has to guess.
Now that is legitimately funny. :lol:
It would be smart for VW, Ford, and GM to convert to Chademo and drop CCS as Nissan, Mitsubishi, and all Tesla’s can already use the chargers in the Us and their are still more Chademo locations (locations not stalls) than CCS.

The crucial word being "still". That's certainly going to be changing and not in Chademo's favor. Development of CCS in the face of an existing standard and existing infrastructure was scurrilous at the time, and although I don't like it they have won that battle.

Back