Anyone into electric cycling? Electric Bicycles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would first check to see if the disc rotation is parallel with the plane of the center of the bike. This probably isn't trivial but if you install the wheel in both orientations and check the disc alignment vs the fork stays then it should be possible to measure (assuming the frame is straight and has a symmetrical design). If that is not OK then the wheel probably isn't properly seated in the frame. If it is OK then the caliper must be bent or incorrectly installed. If it's a steel frame I would just bend the caliper mounts into position until the brake works correctly. If it's a aluminum or carbon frame I'd try to shim or file the mounting points to align things correctly.

V-brake levers had a different pull ratio than other rim brake and mechanical disc brake levers but I assume everything on the bike is original equipment so that shouldn't be the issue. If the brakes are hydraulic then obviously this is irrelevant.

I'm still quite Po'd at Magnum for stringing me along, getting me to record the various loud noises my Metro is making, and then...blowing me off. They just ignored the three emails I sent them after sending them a link to an audio-only YouTube "video." Hmm, I'll dig that up and post it here, for those who'd like to hear a year old Magnum hubmotor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjGRAeexzB8&t=65s

GCC:
Department of the Interior pushes for clear, consistent e-bike policy for public lands
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/10/20191024-doi.html

Pedelecs only except areas open to motor vehicle traffic, <1 hp motors, "low=speed" (not defined in the article, but presumably around 20 or else 29 mph, although I don't consider the latter "low speed" when mixed with regular bikes not ridden by professional racers.

They had better add an exception to allow throttles for those with handicapped placards or plates, because pedelec alone doesn't work if you don't have much leg strength to start the bike moving...

You should contact them and let them know. They're obviously trying to avoid people riding mopeds or e-bikes that are essentially scooters, and much too fast to mix with bikes/roller bladers/pedestrians. Maybe they could offer some kind of handicapped permit, assuming the bike met whatever restricted speed limit they're planning to use? If they do, they'd have to do a much better job of making sure people really do need it than California has done with handicapped placards, which are seemingly given out for anything from hangnails on up, and which are widely abused by able people who are too lazy to walk a few extra steps for parking. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-disabled-placards-20181011-story.html

Combining a 500 watt power limit with allowed pedelec (aka PAS) + throttle mode would suffice, as the DBs prefer 1000 watt bikes and higher to satisfy their need for speed. A good torque-sensing PAS system can eliminate the need for a throttle, but bikes with those are damned expensive - multiple thousands of dollars. The best compromise would be a system that cuts off throttle assist above, say, 10MPH, but that would require new controller designs. Current state and federal regs usually limit throttle assisted speed to 20MPH, and that doesn't seem to be a bad standard to adopt, especially when you consider that bicycle speed displays are usually very optimistic.

When I test rode a few pedelecs a few years back on National Hydrogen day (10.08), most of them were limited to around 20 mph, but one was able to hit 29, and I thought it accelerated much too fast from a stop when at the highest power setting - it felt like the bike was running out from under you. I think I described them all up-topic. Edit: Found it: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10256&p=472116&hilit=pedelec#p472116

LeftieBiker said:
You don't usually select a high assist level when starting off: you select a lower one, then do most of the acceleration after you are moving.

You may not, the question is what the kids who like to ride wheelies the wrong way down major thoroughfares or on sidewalks will do. :? While i'd like to think that no parent would spend that much on a teen's bike, seeing as how we've had teens being given (and crashing) Teslas, I'm not convinced that becoming a parent automatically endows anyone with common sense. Then there are the twenty-somethings who either are or wish they were bike messengers in NYC, or just choose to ride like idjits: https://vimeo.com/24572222

You'd think that Darwinian selection would eliminate most of these people in short order, but we must be making new ones faster than we're eliminating the old ones.

So you want an eBike that is kid-proof? Good luck. I suppose it goes along with your desire to only drive an EV that was custom made to your specifications. If it's any consolation, hub motors will never be doing wheelies in that price range, as they don't have enough starting torque.

LeftieBiker said:
So you want an eBike that is kid-proof? Good luck. I suppose it goes along with your desire to only drive an EV that was custom made to your specifications. If it's any consolation, hub motors will never be doing wheelies in that price range, as they don't have enough starting torque.

Nah, I just want them to try to write the regs to prohibit bikes that can and will be used in ways that are incompatible with such areas. That way, anyone who chooses to engage in such antics will be forced to pay for it, e.g. you aren't allowed to use a snowmobile in Yosemite. Actually preventing stupid human behavior is way above my pay grade.

BTW, where did you get the idea that I'll only drive an EV that's custom made to my specs? Sure, we'd all like to drive cars designed specifically for us, but short of building them ourselves that's not going to happen. What I do insist on is that any EV I'd consider buying meets all my major requirements and as many of my minor ones as well, just as I'd expect from any expensive product I'd buy.

You insist on a heated steering wheel, and I assume you have other go/no go issues as well that other people may find unnecessary. I have my own set of must haves, they're just different from yours.

Different, extensive, and they just happen to exclude every EV on the market. It's almost as if your starting premise is "keep my Forester" and the rest was worked out to allow that.

You want to write regs that will exclude all bad behaviors on electric bikes that can be blamed on the bicycle? Simple: 250 watt limit, pedelec only. Sure, people won't be able to use an e-bike if they have hills on their route, and those with physical disabilities won't be able to ride if their legs aren't still strong, and kids won't bother with them...but the bikes would likely be perfect for...wait for it...you.

LeftieBiker said:
Different, extensive, and they just happen to exclude every EV on the market. It's almost as if your starting premise is "keep my Forester" and the rest was worked out to allow that.

They're extensive in the sense that I am only willing to pay for a car that will transport me, any passengers I choose to take, and our gear to the places I wish to go to, in reasonable comfort and without wasting an enormous amount of my limited free time, at a price I'm willing and able to pay. While we almost certainly differ on the details, are your basic requirements for a car any different? That no existing BEV and its supporting infrastructure yet meet my needs is true (the Niro comes closest in many areas), which shows manufacturers the areas they need to improve to get my business. Is that any different from the factors that go into your car-buying decisions?

LeftieBiker said:
You want to write regs that will exclude all bad behaviors on electric bikes that can be blamed on the bicycle? Simple: 250 watt limit, pedelec only. Sure, people won't be able to use an e-bike if they have hills on their route, and those with physical disabilities won't be able to ride if their legs aren't still strong, and kids won't bother with them...but the bikes would likely be perfect for...wait for it...you.

As I provide all my own power when I ride a bike for fun and exercise (as well as errands and commuting), a pedelec's capabilities aren't an issue for me in such places, only other people's behavior on same. It is for you, so as I suggested before you should let the people writing the regs know what issues concern you, just as I do with EV manufacturers. We seem to agree that a pedelec that's speed-limited to no more than about 20 mph max is a reasonable restriction. Other issues such as throttle/no throttle or motor power are matters of dispute/debate.

I disagree with limiting electric bicycles because they can provide many of us with disabilities a means to see and participate. I am against bans on electric bikes. Issue tickets for bad behavior but do not limit the electric bikes. Tell me if there is a speed limit or area not appropriate for riding but don't put limits on the bike instead enforce the prudent operation of the bike for the situation at hand.

I don't oppose limits that just prevent e-bikes from going faster than their tires, brakes and frames can handle. Maybe I'll post a link to a vid showing how ridiculous some of these "bicycles" can get - not to mention how stupid and dangerous their riders.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWJARXqpvc[/youtube]

^^^ holy crap! Talk about careless/dangerous to himself and others. Passing on the shoulders, passing between cars, cutting in and out of traffic. Must be some sort of modified eBike, no I don't think we need something like that here.

We have plenty of those here now. The parts are essentially Chinese, so you can put one together anywhere. 6kw 2WD bikes that will do 60MPH aren't as rare as you might think...

Closest topic I could find, via ABG:
Mandate bike helmets for all cyclists, says NTSB — not a single state does
With fatalities on the rise, safety agency has several recommendations
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/10/ntsb-recommends-mandatory-bike-helmet-laws/

A government agency is recommending that all 50 states enact laws requiring bicyclists to wear helmets to stem an increase in bicycle deaths on U.S. roadways.

The recommendation was among several issued by the National Transportation Safety Board after a hearing Tuesday on bicycle safety. The agency says 857 bicyclists died in crashes with motor vehicles in the U.S. last year, a 6.3% increase over 2017. Bicycle deaths rose even though total road deaths fell 2.4%.
ADVERTISEMENT

The NTSB also found that improved road designs to separate bicycle and vehicle traffic, and making bicyclists more visible through clothing, lights and technology would reduce the number of cyclist deaths.

The agency wrote in its report that head injuries are the leading cause of bicycle fatalities, and that use of a helmet is the most effective way for riders to reduce their chance of getting a serious head injury. Research shows fewer than half of bicyclists wear helmets, according to the NTSB.

“If we do not mitigate head injury for more bicyclists, additional bicyclists will die,” NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt said.

Such a requirement may prove difficult politically. Currently no states require all bicyclists to wear helmets, but many require them for younger riders, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association. . . .

Can't say that I'm a fan of this, although when riding I wear a helmet all the time except when climbing long, steep hills when it's hot, and I've also used a seatbelt since long before it was mandated. But I'm not a fan of the government mandating behavior involving (an adult's) purely personal risky behavior.

At one time, I was racing electric bikes on cart tracks around the US. It was fun beating up on the gassers. As racing goes, I didn't win them all but it usually was from flat tires or melted phase wires or failed electrical components. It was fun/scary while I was involved doing it. Think of going 50+ mph on straightaways with skinny tires leading into hairpin turns etc. all the while contending with many other racers. I can hardly believe I was breakneck racing...

Back