2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oilpan4 said:
johnlocke said:
The real problem is a lack of level 2 charging for those renting apartments. Far too many rent as opposed to own and they can't charge at home. If you can charge at home, owning an EV is a no-brainer. But if you live in the city, park on the street, or use the apartment's parking space then you need Level 3 fast charging preferably near restaurants and shopping. If you can charge the car while shopping, eating, or getting a manicure, it's all good.

My rentals have L2 charging. It's just L2. Put a L14-30 in an easily accessible area in an RV/camper box. That how I charge my leaf when pulling my trailer and working on the rentals.
As soon as apartment owners figure out that charging stations can be a profit center just like the coin-op laundry and the demand is there, the problem will solve itself. That's probably 5-10 years away. You need a significant number of used BEV's that are cheap enough for lower income people to afford. In the meantime, fast food joints will start installing chargers as a way to lure customers in. Giving away a buck 's worth of electricity is cheaper than a two for one offer or a couple of bucks off a meal. If they can charge you for the power, all the better but even if not it's still cheap advertising targeted at an affluent clientele.

Astros said:
As others have said, I'm not convinced 100kW chargers would have actually sped up our trip. The first charge would certainly be a bit faster, but since the charge taper kicked in even at a 50kW charger I can't imagine you would get long at the maximum rate. Then, if that first 100kW charge session heated the battery more than a 50kW session would have, the second and third sessions would be even slower.
Personally, I would gladly take two 50kW chargers close to decent attractions like a restaurant, grocery store, or park, over a single 100kW charger in a Walmart parking lot. For longer trips like these it's very nice to get out of the car for 20-40 minutes and stretch our legs or get a bite to eat.

Interesting observation; Last night I had a Niro charging at Dupont EVGO station speed 120-121 amps. Wish I'd gotten there sooner but he was at 65% after 29 minutes and charging at 109 amps so already ramping down. Looks like it ramps in steps like the Bolt as it stayed at 109 amps for at least 5 minutes

webeleafowners said:
Astros said:
webeleafowners said:
Meh. Seems like a reasonable trade off. Cost of travelling is not a huge budget line item but there is no way it wasn't cheaper in the leaf. Just sayin.

Oh, it was much cheaper to take the Leaf. Even if we didn't have the no charge to charge program, Webasto offers unlimited charging for $20/month. Since we used two non-free chargers, we spent $16 to drive 950 miles. At current gas prices, a 30mpg car would cost a little over $100 for this trip. I'm happy to spend that on nice food instead :D

And, the Leaf did get us there with time to spare for our 8pm show, so I have no complaints!

And you get to take credit for taking you wife to nicer restaurants...even if it didn't cost you anymore.

It would be interesting to see the trip duration delta if the chargers had been 100 KW units. Our one trip that we make fairly often is exactly 554 kilomters to the hotel (with destination charging. Our halfway point charge stop has a single 50 KW Chademo/CCS station. Petro Can is currently putting in a dual Chademo and Dual CCS in the same town. It should be finished by Christmas. Our Eplus SL arrives in March. Right now with our current leaf (2016 SV) we charge three times. Having said that the 30 KW doesn't take long to charge and doesn't seem to suffer much from multiple charges. Great car.

The hilly part of this route is exactly one I take often, and need the range to get up there with a maximum of 1 stop, and hopefully not too long. We drive from Seattle to Kelowna at least once a year. And those are some big hills! I also tend drive it a littler faster than the posted limit (120kmh for much of the out-of-town parts).

I'm looking forward to the Petro Canada stations. I just saw a screenshot on Reddit of a Leaf charging at 73kW @ 35% SoC at one of the new stations they have installed.

^^^
Do we really need to know the VIN code?

There's badging on the outside and there should be badging on the CHAdeMO port cover. Click on photos at https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-014945dbe939405f97533f414bc81c2d-us-2019-nissan-leaf-plus?#.

Searching for a salvage 62kwh car it would be helpful to know.
On a large portion of totaled cars the charging cover is smashed beyond recognition.

Found it. The 4th charter of a 62kwh car needs to be a "B" and 40kwh cars are "A".
Just like with 24kwh cars versus 30kwh cars.

Found it. The 4th charter of a 62kwh car needs to be a "B" and 40kwh cars are "A".

Oilpan4 said:

Yes, you are correct--I looked it up in the service manual and was about to post here. Those who may be considering purchase of a totaled Plus car to use the battery in an earlier model need to be aware that the 62 kWh battery is very different from the earlier ones. The number of cells per module, number of modules, and arrangement of modules are completely different. Therefore, I believe the 62 kWh pack will need to be used with its internal LBC (lithium battery controller or BMS) so some sort of custom interface (such as what Mux is developing) will be needed to adapt the pack to older cars.

I happened to revisit posts around this for something else...
cwerdna said:
Kieran973 said:
Unless Nissan is thinking is that the Kona Electric is a compliance vehicle that, over the next two years, will only sell a couple hundred models in Southern California and therefore won't really be a competitor? Fair enough, but this was the Ioniq EV's story between 2017-2019,....
As I've said it before many times, I'm highly skeptical about all the Kona EV and Niro EV buzz until we see the vehicles available widely in the US and in quantity, not the near vaporware So Cal only status of the Ioniq EV.

I just saw this posted at https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/2284550154909742/?comment_id=2284563001575124&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D and it sounds like what I guessed might be right.

WA dealer is saying it will be *years* before they get any up there. CA first and Oregon next.

It cracks me up when people outside CA talk about such vehicles, and even more so if they don't live in CARB emissions state.
Kieran973 said:
if the Kia Niro EV really does come in at $38K - that car being a significantly more spacious and therefore more viable subcompact CUV than the Kona - then I don't see how the Leaf Plus could start at $35-37K (including delivery), given that the Niro will have all the advantages of the Kona listed above....
Looking at https://insideevs.com/news/373812/ev-sales-scorecard-september-2019/, it seems for the US, so far, Leaf is outselling Kona EV by about 10:1 YTD and Niro EV by about 20:1 YTD.

Don't know the mix of 40 vs. 62 kWh vehicles though. So, whereever the prices have ended up at, it's not like Kona EV and Niro EV have suddenly pulled ahead of Leaf in the US.

I don't know what the mix of 40kwh to 62kwh cars is but it seems the regular 40kwh cars are vastly outselling the 62kwh for 2019.

I could see it being 10 to 1 for 40kwh sales to 62kwh sales. It doesn't appear to be anywhere near 50/50 not even 75/25.

Right now there are two completely unusual things going on

Unrealistically high used 40 kwh prices.

And a push on 62 kwh vehicles. Its well known Nissan is having financial problems and one of their solutions is cutting US incentives on the LEAF (which is a bit of a head scratcher since their low finance rates and favorable lease terms is THE one big advantage in the EV market) so looks like one last year end push before the hammer comes down?

Oilpan4 said:
I don't know what the mix of 40kwh to 62kwh cars is but it seems the regular 40kwh cars are vastly outselling the 62kwh for 2019.

I could see it being 10 to 1 for 40kwh sales to 62kwh sales. It doesn't appear to be anywhere near 50/50 not even 75/25.

For many, the range of the 40kWh battery is ideal. For my business travels in SoCal, charging at home is all I need,
no more having to plan on a QC and then finding it occupied or down. For my very infrequent longer range travels,
my two ICEVs are available. In the 8 months (5K miles) of driving my 40kWh, I've only QCed once.

goldbrick said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Amen. Once again, here in CO, it is cheaper to buy a new Leaf than a used one, assuming the ability to claim the full $7500 Fed tax credit.

I wonder if a dealer would give you a reasonable trade in for a 40 if you moved to a plus?

Interestingly around where I live the dealers mostly have plus models now. When getting work done last Friday at my dealer they had three and all were plus models.

danrjones said:
goldbrick said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Amen. Once again, here in CO, it is cheaper to buy a new Leaf than a used one, assuming the ability to claim the full $7500 Fed tax credit.

I wonder if a dealer would give you a reasonable trade in for a 40 if you moved to a plus?

Interestingly around where I live the dealers mostly have plus models now. When getting work done last Friday at my dealer they had three and all were plus models.

It’s weird. It’s a minimum 6 month wait for an Eplus in BC. Our dealership is sold out till next July on Epluses. We get ours in March and have been waiting since September. Different assembly line for Canucks?

Weird.

Back