TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
cwerdna, webb14leafs was last active here in June, so while I understand your desire to point out that his (and Tesla's) production forecasts have been missed yet again, you're essentially posting to a ghost.

I'M BACK!!! AND HUNGRY FOR CROW!!!!

I totally bought the hype early on. So criticisms are valid. My perception of reality was that Tesla was selling cars as fast as they could produce them and the production capacity at the Fremont plant was around 500K per year. I was right on the first, wrong on the second.

Pretty bad of me to tell someone they are ignoring reality. After taking a break from social media I see that my own rhetoric was getting needlessly absurd and insulting. I apologize.

GCC:
Tesla Model 3 makes gains in latest Consumer Reports reliability survey; up to 23rd place
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/11/20191115-tesla.html

. . . Though still ranked in the bottom third, Tesla rebounded slightly, moving up four spots from last year to 23 out of 30.

• The Tesla Model 3 struggled last year as the company made frequent design changes and ramped up production to meet demand. But as the production stabilized, we have seen improvements to the reliability of the Model 3 and S that now allow us to Recommend both models.

—Jake Fisher, senior director of auto testing at CR

The Model X continues to rank among the least reliable models in the survey. Fisher cautioned that he expects continued fluidity in Tesla reliability given its track record to date.

Japanese brands, led by Lexus, Mazda, and Toyota, in that order, continue to be the best for new car reliability in CR’s survey. Another Japanese brand, Subaru, ranked seventh overall. But three Korean brands also made it into the top 10—Genesis, Hyundai, and Kia, in that order. The survey findings show that Korean brands have closed the gap with the Japanese brands by producing vehicles that are reliable.

GRA said:
Via IEVS, a more detailed look at CR's improved ratings for the Model 3 and S, and how CR rates vehicles, for those who have no idea (they describe the methodology in the April Auto issue every year):
Tesla Scores Low In CR Reliability Survey: 67% Of Lineup Recommended
https://insideevs.com/features/382705/tesla-consumer-reports-reliability-survey/

OTOH, via IEVS:
Schiphol Taxi Drivers Sue Tesla For Model S Problems In Amsterdam
https://insideevs.com/news/383652/schipholtaxi-drivers-sue-tesla-amsterdam/

One driver claims he had to stop his car for repairs 33 times in 3 years.

After we wrote about the 2019 Consumer Reports Reliability Survey, some readers got in touch to say they do not trust CR. We do, despite our concerns with some aspects of the survey, but they are entitled not to do so. An excellent way to know whether a car is reliable or not is to ask a taxi driver. Or look for the prevalent models at cab stands. Four of them are suing Tesla in Amsterdam precisely because they think Model S cars are not reliable. . . .

According to the article, the law firm De Vries & Kasem is taking care of the matter for Bougrina, Badradin Boucharraba, Said Aberkane, and Mourad el Makhlofi. All of them work for Schipholtaxi, the company that operates cab services at the airport. More are expected to join the lawsuit soon. The description in the article of defects they had to face is impressive:

“The windscreen wiper hits the hood. The flashing lights on the side will come off. The side mirror adjusts itself as it sees fit. The tire pressure sensor breaks off. When steering and braking, clicking noises are heard. The suspension is cracking, the wind is loud, the reversing light contains moisture.

Within a year, more serious defects arise. Brakes that don't work, brakes that rust, an engine that fails on the highway, charging problems, a door that flies open in the bend. In a single car, the engine has to be replaced.”

The problems started shortly after getting the cars in 2014. The article mentions 165 Tesla Model S were in service, but all reports we find, including the video above, talk about 167. Each of them would have to invest at least €86,000 per car, but they decided to lease them for four years. . . .

One of the complaints these taxi drivers make is that they have free Supercharging for life, but Tesla decided they could not go to the Service Center from September 2016 onwards because it had become a “cab stand.” If they kept going there, Schipholtaxi would get a few days of suspension.

The solution was a dedicated parking lot with chargers for the taxi drivers in which “the same rules” would apply. That is when they started receiving bills of hundreds of euros for charging there. These chargers had to be paid, but drivers were not aware of that. They just plugged their cars in as in a regular Supercharger. Tesla gave their info to Schipholtaxi, which took care of billing them.

To make matters worse, Tesla performed in 2016 an over-the-air update that made many drivers see their ranges fall from 350 km (217 mi) to around 250 km (155 mi) or even 200 km (124 mi). That means the taxis have to stop more often to charge and carry fewer passengers around. . . .

DougWantsALeaf said:
New cybertruck stats look crazy.
At least we can do away with the 300k tow rating.

The stats look good. But they are also not real. $39k before credits for this thing is hard to believe given Tesla's history. In fact, completely impossible to believe.

The truck looks utterly hideous. Certainly the ugliest vehicle to come out in a long time. It's Aztek bad, maybe worse. It's amazing they styled it this way. Are we really going to see something like that on the road? Strange.

If they can ever deliver it close to the price I could see some people buying it because it is going to stick out on the road like an exotic, and you end up with a five seater AWD SUV for a not-terrible amount of money.

Its ground clearance and the fact the wheels are right at the front and back does lend itself to navigating rough terrain very well.

GRA said:
GCC:
Tesla Model 3 makes gains in latest Consumer Reports reliability survey; up to 23rd place
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/11/20191115-tesla.html

. . . Though still ranked in the bottom third, Tesla rebounded slightly, moving up four spots from last year to 23 out of 30.

• The Tesla Model 3 struggled last year as the company made frequent design changes and ramped up production to meet demand. But as the production stabilized, we have seen improvements to the reliability of the Model 3 and S that now allow us to Recommend both models.

—Jake Fisher, senior director of auto testing at CR

The Model X continues to rank among the least reliable models in the survey. Fisher cautioned that he expects continued fluidity in Tesla reliability given its track record to date.

Japanese brands, led by Lexus, Mazda, and Toyota, in that order, continue to be the best for new car reliability in CR’s survey. Another Japanese brand, Subaru, ranked seventh overall. But three Korean brands also made it into the top 10—Genesis, Hyundai, and Kia, in that order. The survey findings show that Korean brands have closed the gap with the Japanese brands by producing vehicles that are reliable.

I'll bet that Fiat is getting slightly nervous.

Durandal said:
Nubo said:
LeftieBiker said:
If the bed won't carry 4'x8' plywood, stacked flat, it will fail. ...

Judging from the photos, it looks like that was a prime design driver. There are no wheel arches intruding into the bed space -- something that always pisses me off about pickups.

6.5' long bed. Total truck width is 79.8", which is 6.65', so when you subtract 6" on either side, that makes for 5.65' wide in the bed, so I expect it should be comparable to an F150 bed.
https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2019/11/Tesla-Cybertruck-electric-pickup-presentation-2.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492
https://truckbedsizes.com/f150/

Where are you getting 6"? (no jokes plz)

Nubo said:
Durandal said:
Nubo said:
Judging from the photos, it looks like that was a prime design driver. There are no wheel arches intruding into the bed space -- something that always pisses me off about pickups.

6.5' long bed. Total truck width is 79.8", which is 6.65', so when you subtract 6" on either side, that makes for 5.65' wide in the bed, so I expect it should be comparable to an F150 bed.
https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2019/11/Tesla-Cybertruck-electric-pickup-presentation-2.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

are you a kw/kwh fanatic? If so, I 2nd your question. If you are not then you have no room to talk.

My buddy said that cybertruck looks like a Delorean f*cked a Pontiac Aztec... I think that's about right. Specs look good, price is reasonable considering what pickups go for, but damn it is ugly.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Nubo said:
Durandal said:

are you a kw/kwh fanatic? If so, I 2nd your question. If you are not then you have no room to talk.

I'm just thinking the design is weird enough that a "standard" 6-inch distance between widest sheet-metal and the bed interior, may not be applicable. the thing is about as polygonal as 1990's Lara Croft.

golfcart said:
My buddy said that cybertruck looks like a Delorean f*cked a Pontiac Aztec... I think that's about right. Specs look good, price is reasonable considering what pickups go for, but damn it is ugly.

What is your opinion on the F - 150 appearance. I think trucks are ugly but my opinion is quite muted because a truck represents something completely different from a car. Its utilitarian and like others in that group; its all about function not ambiance.

So, I don't think the Cyber truck is ugly, I simply only think "well, its a truck" and all of a sudden my expectations comes into line.

DaveinOlyWA said:
golfcart said:

What is your opinion on the F - 150 appearance. I think trucks are ugly but my opinion is quite muted because a truck represents something completely different from a car. Its utilitarian and like others in that group; its all about function not ambiance.

So, I don't think the Cyber truck is ugly, I simply only think "well, its a truck" and all of a sudden my expectations comes into line.

In my opinion the F-150 looks pretty good. The raptor version looks awesome. Silverado looks good, new Colorado is really nice looking. The Tacoma and Tundra are really nice. I’m not a fan of the Ram but a lot of people love the looks of them.

I’m from the south, I see more pickup trucks than sedans on a typical day and people accessorize the hell out of them to make them look nice.

I’m not sure I agree with your assessment but we all get our opinions. The Honda Ridgeline was a very good truck from a utilitarian perspective but it’s was not top 10 in pickup sales in 2018. It is fugly too.

golfcart said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
golfcart said:

In my opinion the F-150 looks pretty good. The raptor version looks awesome. Silverado looks good, new Colorado is really nice looking. The Tacoma and Tundra are really nice. I’m not a fan of the Ram but a lot of people love the looks of them.

I’m from the south, I see more pickup trucks than sedans on a typical day and people accessorize the hell out of them to make them look nice.

I’m not sure I agree with your assessment but we all get our opinions. The Honda Ridgeline was a very good truck from a utilitarian perspective but it’s was not top 10 in pickup sales in 2018. It is fugly too.

Just to clarify; I also think the Raptor looks good... for a truck.

Back