2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
goldbrick said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Unrealistically high used 40 kwh prices.

Amen. Once again, here in CO, it is cheaper to buy a new Leaf than a used one, assuming the ability to claim the full $7500 Fed tax credit.

I wonder if a dealer would give you a reasonable trade in for a 40 if you moved to a plus?

Interestingly around where I live the dealers mostly have plus models now. When getting work done last Friday at my dealer they had three and all were plus models.

Might not hurt to give your dealer a call. You might be surprised. I certainly was ;)

danrjones said:
I wonder if a dealer would give you a reasonable trade in for a 40 if you moved to a plus?

I got 22K trade in my 40 kWh when I traded up. Net profit after tax rebate.

Another E Plus review;

**RANT WARNING**

Somewhere out there, there is a meme that basically goes like "If you do the same thing over and over expecting different results, you are crazy" I prefer to call it faith and loyalty. I recently had a conversation with someone I thought was very well respected in the EV community only to find out that many people come to him because they were upset at how their local dealers treated them to find out the best possible deals only to take his numbers back to their local dealers to negotiate a better price.

I have to say, I found this to be shocking. Maybe its just me but personal relationships are important to me and I am not always the best person to know because I have a tendency to cause conflict. Most of my opinions are rather polarizing.

But when it comes time to get a car, it doesn't matter how far it is so yeah, I drive by 10 dealerships to get what I need from someone I respect. Respect in the automotive sales community is not a common thing so when you get it, value it.

FYI; one is done, soon there will be others. You WILL be shocked. I guess I will only be driving past 6 dealers my next time around. ;)

**END OF RANT** You may resume your day. :)

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/11/more-range-more-screen-more-apps-e-plus.html

DaveinOlyWA said:
Another E Plus review;
https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/11/more-range-more-screen-more-apps-e-plus.html

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new car! I think the S Plus is probably the best value car for your money right now, and you seem to have gotten a great deal. I didn't even know that the S trim also could do software updates over wi-fi, that's a great feature. I notice that your software version is one higher than mine, which has stayed the same since I bought it. I'll have to check whether it has an update, and whether that changes anything.

Off topic: I'm not sure why it is, but any time I try to comment on your blog, it just vanishes

Astros said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Another E Plus review;

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new car! I think the S Plus is probably the best value car for your money right now, and you seem to have gotten a great deal. I didn't even know that the S trim also could do software updates over wi-fi, that's a great feature. I notice that your software version is one higher than mine, which has stayed the same since I bought it. I'll have to check whether it has an update, and whether that changes anything.

Off topic: I'm not sure why it is, but any time I try to comment on your blog, it just vanishes

hmm, the blog comment thing is weird. I do not prescreen comments.
So you are not "Wolfy?"

DaveinOlyWA said:
So you are not "Wolfy?"

No, not "Wolfy" :lol: , though it sounds like they had a similar experience with a ~500 mile trip in their Leaf.

More on-topic, I think your estimate of a ~0.2 miles/kWh efficiency hit is about right for the Plus vs 40kWh Leaf. Charging at home is pretty cheap even so, and I'd guess that the Plus costs us about $15/year more in electricity. Once our NCTC runs out, I think that will be more than made up for in reduced charging costs on trips: much cheaper at EA chargers that bill by the minute and supply >50kW, and Webasto chargers that charge a fixed fee per session. Back when I had a 30kWh Leaf I considered a "large" charging session to be one where we received more than 20kWh, but on our last trip the "large" charging sessions were over 40kWh. The Leaf Plus ends up being more efficient in time and money, if not in electrons.

Astros said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
So you are not "Wolfy?"

No, not "Wolfy" :lol: , though it sounds like they had a similar experience with a ~500 mile trip in their Leaf.

More on-topic, I think your estimate of a ~0.2 miles/kWh efficiency hit is about right for the Plus vs 40kWh Leaf. Charging at home is pretty cheap even so, and I'd guess that the Plus costs us about $15/year more in electricity. Once our NCTC runs out, I think that will be more than made up for in reduced charging costs on trips: much cheaper at EA chargers that bill by the minute and supply >50kW, and Webasto chargers that charge a fixed fee per session. Back when I had a 30kWh Leaf I considered a "large" charging session to be one where we received more than 20kWh, but on our last trip the "large" charging sessions were over 40kWh. The Leaf Plus ends up being more efficient in time and money, if not in electrons.

Oh yeah, most definitely. The heating comment was interesting especially if tied to a rumour started by you know who. I am guessing ambient temps were the main culprit in his experience. He didn't say how much the heat affected charging rates so will be interesting to find out.

My EA excursion yesterday I shut if off when I did to prove a point. I still averaged over 62 kw on the charge. Works out to 17 cents a minute with the subscription rates and I had more range than a new 40 kwh. (533 GIDs) But more importantly, it gave me well over 2 hours of freeway time and even that is stretching my limits. Did all that in 22 minutes. This is just a bit more than a pee/coffee stop but not enough time to eat. Those are compromises I am more than willing to make! :)

It’s funny one thing my wife likes least about the Plus is the steering wheel heater. The super hot 2013 wheel heater she used as an informal heater, so now that it’s toned down, she uses heat more often.

Kieran973 said:
Dave, how is the driver's seat comfort? Do you notice any difference in this between the S and the S Plus?

Hard to say. I am sitting on a 3" gel cushion. I did go w/o on the drive home and survived so that implies the seats are somewhat better. But I can't really see or feel a difference. It is the identical black cloth interior of my 2018 AFAICT.

Realize it took over 18 months before any real discomfort on my 40 kwh and that was after a LOT of road trips. The reality we are not built to sit for hours at a time. Eventually birthdays catch up to us and we pay the price. Another reason why stopping to charge might benefit more than just the environment. :)

Interesting. Some reviews last spring said that the driver's seat in the Plus models has less support and feels stiffer. This seemed true to me when I test drove an S Plus, though I hadn't been in an Leafs in a year, and this was before I bought my 40 kwh SV. I really like the driver's seat in my SV.

Also, I saw on your blog that you're averaging 62 kw fast charging. Are 100 kw chargers prevalent in your area? I haven't followed this closely in the last 2-3 months, but my impression is that on the east coast 99% of the Chademo DC fast chargers are still 50 kw.

Kieran973 said:
Interesting. Some reviews last spring said that the driver's seat in the Plus models has less support and feels stiffer. This seemed true to me when I test drove an S Plus, though I hadn't been in an Leafs in a year, and this was before I bought my 40 kwh SV. I really like the driver's seat in my SV.

Also, I saw on your blog that you're averaging 62 kw fast charging. Are 100 kw chargers prevalent in your area? I haven't followed this closely in the last 2-3 months, but my impression is that on the east coast 99% of the Chademo DC fast chargers are still 50 kw.

There is no 100 kw chademo's in my state. Its a 50 KW EA station. FYI; there is a HUGE variance on these stations from location to location. I picked the one I did simply because it has the rep of being one of the fastest in the state. I pulled 200 amps, peaked at 73.8 KW (knee 45%) so it was a significant leap in charging speed. I could have paid as little as 15 cents/kwh but as it stands, my 22 min session could have cost me 17.4 cents per kwh. That is not too bad and it gave me more range than a new 40 kwh LEAF (533 GIDs) ;)

Oh, cool. But wait, how is your Leaf Plus pulling 73.8 kw from a 50 kw EA station? Is that just a weird anomaly, or can you do that at other 50 kw EA stations? If so, how many, roughly?

Kieran973 said:
Oh, cool. But wait, how is your Leaf Plus pulling 73.8 kw from a 50 kw EA station? Is that just a weird anomaly, or can you do that at other 50 kw EA stations? If so, how many, roughly?

piss poor EA quality control? As mentioned; the EA stations vary VERY widely. Some won't put out more than 130 amps. Most seem to be in the 140-150 amp range. So anything above 125 amps is rated greater than 50 KW (the rating is nothing but a guideline. Due to the ramp down at high SOC, you won't see 50 KW.)

On the flipside, there are Bolters (who can pull 135 amps on EVGO) that are seeing 110 amps on some EA stations. Now this is what they report and most don't report amperage, only power so why this happens? I don't know. Could be several things but we know its not high SOC or cold batteries. It just happens.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

How's the suspension/ride compared to the S?

And how is your cold weather (well, late fall) range without the heat pump? I have a 1 year old son so in this weather, the heated seats and steering wheel heater obviously do nothing for him.

Sorry for the back and forth. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

And how is your cold weather (well, late fall) range without the heat pump? I have a 1 year old son so in this weather, the heated seats and steering wheel heater obviously do nothing for him.

He should like a 12 volt heated fleece blanket. I was still commuting 42 miles RT the first year I had my first Leaf, and one of those really helped, draped over my lap and legs.

Dave

I noticed your software version was 340. I just tried to see if an update was available for myself and it wasn’t yet my Plus is on version 339. Did you Leaf come with 340 or did it update to that?
Does Nissan list release notes anywhere for the software updates?

Separately, the EA station near my house (in Lincolnwood Illinois) aslo will charge at north of 70kW. I haven’t done a full charge with it, as 20 minutes usually more that enough, but do wish all the EA chargers would go that fast.

Kieran973 said:
Interesting. I didn't know that.

How's the suspension/ride compared to the S?

Sorry for the back and forth. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Well, to be honest; I don't have any efficiency comments yet other than what was mentioned in the blog and that was only a general feeling after a week of commuting. TBT; I have been a bit... inefficient. :roll:

As far as babies go. Make sure they have a good warm hat. They are a lot tougher than you think. A heated blanket is an option but in most cases, not needed. A regular blanket will be enough.

On the SW version update; you are connected to Wi Fi when attempting update?

As far as a full charge? I wouldn't unless you absolutely feel you need that much of a charge. Mine was purely demo only since its all of 4 miles from my house.

Just did a Leafspy check about 6 months with the car.

5289 miles
SOH 97.25 (battery was at 53F we had a warmer day today)
AHr 171.55
Hx 111.47%

Battery was at 20% SOC at reading
15 QC and 77 L2 charges

It’s been a few months since I measured SOH. My first measurement about a month and a half after I got the car was 98.9. On 9/21 I was at 97.98. So that .01 a day seems to be accurate.

Back