Traded in my leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxLeafPower

Well everyone I'm finally getting rid of my 2011 Leaf. It just fell to 3/12 bars. I loved that this was a EV and there was no way someone was going to buy it from me so I ended up trading it for a Tesla Model 3. Tesla offered me 2,400 to trade it in. They didn't even ask to see any photos of it. I'm guessing they know about the battery problems and they feel bad for Leaf owners. :roll:

We'll see if the grass is greener on the other side :D

I installed a Curt Trailer hitch on it that I don't have a need for it. I can take it off and ship it if you are interested. Just make me an offer.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Nissan/Leaf/2011/C11396.html?VehicleID=201125240

I also have a modded level 2 charger on ebay that's going pretty cheap if anyone is interested.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324000243707

Yowza. Are you in Idaho?

Curious... what's the backstory about how this Leaf got all the way down to 3 capacity bars? Was it always in your possession? Where did it reside? Charged to 100% all the time? Left at 100% for extended periods of time?

You didn't hit 8 bars before the capacity warranty expired?

Yeah if you put it on eBay you might have been able to get maybe $3,000 for it.

I want to do a battery upgrade this summer on mine if it doesn't suck too much I may see if I can get dirt cheap almost ready to brick 2011 and 2012 leafs and repower them with batteries from much newer totaled cars.

cwerdna said:
Yowza. Are you in Idaho?

Curious... what's the backstory about how this Leaf got all the way down to 3 capacity bars? Was it always in your possession? Where did it reside? Charged to 100% all the time? Left at 100% for extended periods of time?

You didn't hit 8 bars before the capacity warranty expired?

Short story it's my fault. I really wanted an EV and rushed into it. It was the cheapest leaf on craigslist. I test drove it and made an offer. I didn't take it to Nissan to have it looked over. I guess why would you? EVs are the most reliable vehicles.

It had 6/12 bars when I bought it in Idaho. Then It gradually decreased 3 bars in 1 1/2 years. At first I would charge it to 80% and now I have to charge it to 100%.

Congratulations! The Model 3 sounds incredible! I can see how it's outselling the LEAF more than 11:1. I'm amazed that even the Model X is outselling the LEAF. Tesla's doing it right, and people are noticing!

The best EV you can buy is a tesla, they are doing it right, i just sold my 2012 leaf 8/12 bars for 4,300 is probably going to be a useless car in about 3-5 years thats why i decided to sell it, if i ever buy an ev will have to be a tesla.

WetEV said:
Depends on what you want. Sit in the eTron's seats for a nice long drive, then the Tesla's seats for a similar trip.

Yeah, the eTron starts at $74K, so does not qualify for the Washington state sales tax exemption. Looks nice though! How big is the battery? I calculated about 85 KWH, they do not state in their specifications (at least not that I could find). Their equivalent mileage is pretty low, 74 combined MPGe, with just over a 200 mile range. I still like the second generation Leaf for my needs.

MaxLeafPower said:
Well everyone I'm finally getting rid of my 2011 Leaf. It just fell to 3/12 bars. I loved that this was a EV and there was no way someone was going to buy it from me so I ended up trading it for a Tesla Model 3. Tesla offered me 2,400 to trade it in. They didn't even ask to see any photos of it. I'm guessing they know about the battery problems and they feel bad for Leaf owners. :roll:

We'll see if the grass is greener on the other side :D

I installed a Curt Trailer hitch on it that I don't have a need for it. I can take it off and ship it if you are interested. Just make me an offer.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Nissan/Leaf/2011/C11396.html?VehicleID=201125240

I also have a modded level 2 charger on ebay that's going pretty cheap if anyone is interested.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324000243707

I'm interested in the hitch. I'll talk to my wife and send you a PM with an offer. Would it just be the hitch, or would it also come with a 4 prong electrical hookup?

Lothsahn said:
I'm interested in the hitch. I'll talk to my wife and send you a PM with an offer. Would it just be the hitch, or would it also come with a 4 prong electrical hookup?

Sounds good. It's just a hitch. it doesn't have electrical hookup.

WetEV said:
Deoc said:
The best EV you can buy is a tesla, they are doing it right,

Depends on what you want. Sit in the eTron's seats for a nice long drive, then the Tesla's seats for a similar trip.
The seats for which Tesla Model? It's not like they are all the same. If a Model S, which generation seats? There have been a few different ones.

My wife rules out the Model S back in 2014 when we got the LEAF, since the seats were uncomfortable for her (and they caused the seat belt to rest against her neck). The newer seats that came out in 2016 are exceptionally comfortable. We've done several 400-500 mile trips in them and never felt the least bit of discomfort.

While I'm sure the Audi is nice and plush and the seats are great (and I certainly loved my Passat, which was a clone of the A4 back in 2001), as an EV it doesn't have the range or charging availability we want.

jlv said:
While I'm sure the Audi is nice and plush and the seats are great (and I certainly loved my Passat, which was a clone of the A4 back in 2001), as it EV it doesn't have the range or charging availability we want.
I'm glad to see you are taking my advice.

Well congrats on the Tesla... with thermal management they should in theory last much longer an for the most part I think that is being proven.

I'm curious though, as I find your statement "I didn't take it to Nissan to have it looked over" a bit odd. What did you mean by this? Has the vehicle been unreliable for you? You knew it had 6/12 capacity bars when you bought it... were you not aware of what that really meant? I realize you said you rushed the purchase but I'm not understanding why taking it to Nissan for inspection would matter.

Do you live in Idaho? Was the car only in Idaho the first part of its life? I ask because I live in Boise, Idaho and it can get hot here in the summer and considering I just bought a 11-bar Leaf I'm trying to estimate how much i'll get out of it. Always interested in somewhat direct comparisons.

IAMTHESTIG said:
I just bought a 11-bar Leaf I'm trying to estimate how much i'll get out of it. Always interested in somewhat direct comparisons.

The OP's car was a 2011. The first few years had much worse batteries than the later model years. What year is your Leaf?

IAMTHESTIG said:
Well congrats on the Tesla... with thermal management they should in theory last much longer an for the most part I think that is being proven.

I'm curious though, as I find your statement "I didn't take it to Nissan to have it looked over" a bit odd. What did you mean by this? Has the vehicle been unreliable for you? You knew it had 6/12 capacity bars when you bought it... were you not aware of what that really meant? I realize you said you rushed the purchase but I'm not understanding why taking it to Nissan for inspection would matter.

Do you live in Idaho? Was the car only in Idaho the first part of its life? I ask because I live in Boise, Idaho and it can get hot here in the summer and considering I just bought a 11-bar Leaf I'm trying to estimate how much i'll get out of it. Always interested in somewhat direct comparisons.

Besides the degradation the leaf has been extremely reliable. When I bought it I was not aware of the battery degradation problem and I didn't get it inspected. I didn't do my research before buying it so even if I saw 6/12 I didn't know what it meant or that even would keep losing capacity. If I have gotten inspected than the dealer would have told me about the battery degradation.

I would charge to 80%. When I first bought it one of my favorite things to do was to floor it at the stop light. I stopped that soon after I lost a bar. Then I started babying it. Then I started charging to 100% during winter only and now I charge it to 100%.

Good luck with your leaf. My favorite part of owning a leaf was it only cost me $20 per month. It's a great city car.

If I have gotten inspected than the dealer would have told me about the battery degradation.

Maybe, maybe not. Unless you specifically requested a battery test and asked what the capacity remaining was, they may not have told you - or even realized it themselves. Some dealerships are good with Leafs, and others are definitely not.

Back