New $125 fine for parking fossil fuel vehicle in electric car spot in Ontario

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger1818

Ontario drivers who park petroleum-powered vehicles in spots designated for electric cars may soon be fined $125. The same penalty will apply to drivers of electric vehicles that park at a charging station but aren't using it.
The change to the act says vehicles in designated spots must be electric and attached to the station's charging equipment, or could be ticketed.
The change to the Highway Traffic Act goes into effect immediately.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/electric-vehicle-parking-fine-1.5394288

Certainly good news. Reading over Bill 123, there is no mention of if the vehicle in violation can be towed. The risk of a $125 fine might not be enough for someone who is in a rush, but adding the risk of being towed may push them over the edge. A fine also doesn't help free up the space from a vehicle that is in violation.

What isn't clear in the bill is what the "prescribed requirements" are for the sign identifying the parking spot as an "electric vehicle charging station." All it says is that they may be made by the "Lieutenant Governor in Council."

I would not park my Leaf in a spot marked for EV's Only for the safety of car or person after a verbal attack from a retired school teacher when I was charging at an EA charging station in the WalMart parking lot. She could not understand why I was driving a car labeled Zero Emissions if I was not part of the ones trying to impeach her President.

This really happened in Paducah KY to me last month.

GaleHawkins said:
I would not park my Leaf in a spot marked for EV's Only for the safety of car or person after a verbal attack from a retired school teacher when I was charging at an EA charging station in the WalMart parking lot. She could not understand why I was driving a car labeled Zero Emissions if I was not part of the ones trying to impeach her President.

Fortunately this is in Canada so we don't have that specific issue. I guess you only charge at home then?

roger1818 said:
GaleHawkins said:

Fortunately this is in Canada so we don't have that specific issue. I guess you only charge at home then?

From the few times I have been in Canada I agree with you. Our political and religious leadership seem to be hostile about one thing or another all of the time so I guess it is the trickle down effect.

Do you not have a large number of people slamming EV's as if they are evil or something?

GaleHawkins said:
roger1818 said:
GaleHawkins said:

From the few times I have been in Canada I agree with you. Our political and religious leadership seem to be hostile about one thing or another all of the time so I guess it is the trickle down effect.

Do you not have a large number of people slamming EV's as if they are evil or something?

Ahhh no. Or at least not in a violent way. There are people who definetly have a negative take on them but probably because there not suited to their needs. I don’t get the impeaching a president thing. Was she “ill”

webeleafowners said:
GaleHawkins said:
roger1818 said:

Ahhh no. Or at least not in a violent way. There are people who definetly have a negative take on them but probably because there not suited to their needs. I don’t get the impeaching a president thing. Was she “ill”

Because I was charging an EV at Walmart she stopped and asked me if I was some kind of liberal person that thought I was saving the earth. She said I was the first EV she ever saw charging. I will be ready for her next time. The teaching around here from school, church to the WM parking lot it is understood that is something is different then it is BAD.

She got off on the subject that the former president should have been impeached due to pushing out the illegal health care reforms. When she started doing racial slurs on the former president I just shut down the charger and left. Later I realized I just got bulled by a retire teacher so no wonder bullying is a concern it our schools.

Emotional stability is not encouraged it seems in these parts. :(

I am total serious the issues with mental stability.

GaleHawkins said:
roger1818 said:
GaleHawkins said:

My point was that we don't have a President who is being impeached (we actually don't have a President at all, but a Prime Minster).

I haven't really met anyone who is anti-EV. Canadians do tend to lean more to the left than those south of the boarder though.

Back