Aftermarket charge to 80%, opinions wanted!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
It isn't very likely that I'll buy my 2018 off lease, but if I do I'll probably install it. What is involved in doing that?

I only do permanent installs by cutting the two EV-CAN wires, but it is possible to do an install that doesn't void the warranty. All it takes are some connectors from a crashed Leaf, so you can create an adapter harness.

webeleafowners said:
Forgive my ignorance but I’m not following the keystrokes to make this happen.

What buttons are you pushing.

In what order. Etc.

Thanks.

The steps are explained here https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-Leaf-BatterySaver
"To set the charge limiter, turn on re-circulation, and set fan speed to max (7). You'll see the dash capacity bars start to move, along with the state of charge %. When the desired charge max % is reached, it can be set by turning down the fan speed. Check out the video below."

Is this easy enough to understand? Improvements accepted :D

You'll see the dash capacity bars start to move, along with the state of charge %. When the desired charge max % is reached, it can be set by turning down the fan speed.

Does it 'scroll' down through the settings and you stop at the one you want as shown, or do you have to press a button for each step-down in setting? I was thinking that just pressing Recirculate again might be an easier way to select the setting you want.

LeftieBiker said:
You'll see the dash capacity bars start to move, along with the state of charge %. When the desired charge max % is reached, it can be set by turning down the fan speed.

Does it 'scroll' down through the settings and you stop at the one you want as shown, or do you have to press a button for each step-down in setting? I was thinking that just pressing Recirculate again might be an easier way to select the setting you want.

Yeah, it scrolls thru the settings, every 2s. As soon as you turn down the fan even one step (or press the recirc button), you lock into the selection. So it's possible to use the recirc button to confirm, just a matter of preference.

if (FanSpeed == 7 && VentModeStatus == 0x09) //0x09 == recirculate button pressed

DaveinOlyWA said:
I don't see why anyone would go thru all this w/o a "long term storage" setting around 50%?

I am odd, I'll admit. I would vote for a 25% setting!

For normal driving around town, we really only need 40 to 60 on the GOM. We charge it that way now with the end timer and our typical departure time. Once we have 62 kwhr, I will aim to keep the same available range generally. Then fill it most of the way when we happen to go past a free QC, and arrive home with more range than we left with. Or charge to full at home if there's a long trip planned the next day. So, I would want an even lower charge to level, as low as 25%. (wow ! :) ) 25% of 200+ miles range!

If I were doing this, I'd go ahead and connect a button and some sort of LED output to the CAN board rather than do this sort of kludge. If there's a spare async port available, you could even do a little 4 line LCD display and be able to display all sorts of battery info that's normally hidden.

An alternate control idea would be to write a phone app that uses the the same Bluetooth CAN adaper that LEAFSpy uses to talk to the CAN board and use that to configure charge level, or whatever other functions you might program into it.

davewill said:
If I were doing this, I'd go ahead and connect a button and some sort of LED output to the CAN board rather than do this sort of kludge. If there's a spare async port available, you could even do a little 4 line LCD display and be able to display all sorts of battery info that's normally hidden.

An alternate control idea would be to write a phone app that uses the the same Bluetooth CAN adaper that LEAFSpy uses to talk to the CAN board and use that to configure charge level, or whatever other functions you might program into it.

Nah. More buttons and LCDs adds complexity, cost, and I doubt the majority of Leaf owners want to hack up the dash to add extra fluff. IMO that would be such a early 00s solution. We are better than that :)

But the app idea is actually happening. As we speak, a few OVMS developers have gotten the stop charge functionality to work! So it's just a matter of time before BatterySaver becomes available to OVMS owners :) More on the discussion here: https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/issues/287

Back