Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just noticed on Plushshare that the number of Chademo stops has gone up dramatically across Kansas! Very exciting for Chicago to Denver transit. Nebraska is still weak. Iowa will have redundancy once the new chargers go up starting at end of year.

Charging was not on my radar until a couple months ago after the Leaf purchase. I am truly impressed how fast the charging options are increasing week after week. Thanks for keeping us updated. EA is a plus for my area already.

Per WetEV, two sites are open, making 6 for the month and 356 total: Concord, CA (Urb., Clayton Rd. nr. Jct. Ygnacio Valley/Kirker Pass Rds.); Vienna, VA. (Jct. S.R. 267 ex. 16/16A & S.R. 7).

Vienna's on the Dulles Access Rd. from D.C., east of the existing site in Reston.

GRA said:
<snip>

Firebaugh makes I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley practical, although the listing seems to be in error. I sent EA the following email:

The listing for the just-opened site at Firebaugh ("Panoche Shell") states it has 2 CCS and 2 CCS-CHAdeMO, but a Plugshare check-in as states it has a more typical set-up of 3 CCS/1 CCS-CHAdeMO. A photo of the site on Plugshare confirms 4 pedestals, but which is correct? To date, none of your sites has had more than 1 CHAdeMO. There seem to be an increasing number of errors in your site listings, and some more care is needed.

I'd also sent them one re Pompton Plains and a few other sites with questions, and they've fixed those fairly quickly.

EA called and left a message yesterday thanking me for bringing the Firebaugh listing to their attention, and it's now shown correctly: 3 CCS/1 CCS-CHAdeMO.

They've called me back several times previously when I've reported other issues, and even though I can't make out most of what they're saying in the message most of the time (I keep forgetting to write "I'm very deaf, so email replies only, please" in my comments), the speed of their CS followup is unusual nowadays.

Per WetEV one site has opened, #7 for the month and #357 total: Vacaville, CA (Jct. I-80 ex. 55/I-505).

This site, along with Dunnigan 37 miles away, makes a good reserve pair for people traveling to/from the Bay Area and I-5 north. Plan to stop at the nearest one and if it isn't working, your reserve will take you to the farther of the two. Ideally road-trip charging infrastructure would be designed with pairs like this, spaced no more than 1/2 hour apart.

Red Bluff/Redding 30 miles apart would be a good choice, although EA decided to split the difference and put the site in Anderson in between them. That's a poor choice from the customer perspective, as there are highways leading from both the bigger cities to major destinations (Lassen N.P. and major boating lakes for both) as well as connecting west to U.S. 101 and east to U.S. 395. Anderson lacks those direct connections, and is especially inconvenient for Lassen whether you're coming from I-5 north or south, as you have to drive beyond the turnoff that provides the shortest way there. There are Walmarts in both cities, so presumably the only reason EA chose Anderson instead (in a Safeway parking lot) is to save themselves from building an extra site.

I've been going by the Castro Valley site about once a week for a few months now to monitor the progress, of which there's been none since August, as everything appeared to be done and they were just waiting for the transformer from PG&E. I'm happy to report that the transformer is now installed on its pad, so presumably only final inspection and permits remain to open it. There was a tag on the transfomer adressed to the local PG&E service center stating "Date Wanted: 12/11", so assuming they weren't early it would have been installed Wednesday, Thursday or Friday of last week (I went by on Sunday). We'll see how long it takes for the very last bit, but as it's the holidays and public offices will be closed more than usual, it may not be open until next year.

Two sites are open, making 11 for the month and 361 total: San Clemente, CA (Urb., I-5 ex. 76); E. Brunswick, NJ (S.R. 18 off I-95 ex. 9, S. of I-287 Jct.).

Neither is strictly necessary, as both are infill on existing routes, but they do cut the existing legs (Orange or Westminster to Carlsbad; White Plains to Cherry Hill) roughly in half. The listing for San Clemente (1 CCS / 2 CCS-CHAdeMO / 1 L2) is probably wrong. I've sent them an email pointing this out, so I expect it will be corrected (to 2 CCS / 1 CCS-CHAdeMO / 1 L2) in a day or so.

GRA said:
Neither is strictly necessary, as both are infill on existing routes
Technically, these are "urban" stations and not "highway" stations. As such, the intent is not to support traffic along any particular route so much as to provide charging to local traffic. IMO, these will serve both visitors to the area (while they are there) as well as those without access to home charging (e.g. apartment dwellers).

San Clemente meets my def. of an urban site (2 150 kW CCS / 1 150 kW CCS & 50kW CHAdeMO / 1 L2), East Brunswick (9 CCS / 1 CCS-CHAdeMO) does not. BTW, they've now corrected the listing for the San Clemente site to 2 CCS / 1 CCS-CHAdeMO / 1 L2.

One site has opened, #12 for the month and #362 total: Los Angeles, CA (Urb., I-405 ex, 51, SE of Venice Blvd.). It's another site at a Bank of America branch - per GCR:
By the end of 2020, Electrify America will make available about 40 DC fast-charging stations (locations), with a total of 140 chargers, at Bank of America financial center locations in California, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, Oregon, Virginia, and Washington.
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...g-is-coming-to-some-bank-of-america-locations

The "Coming soon" site in Castro Valley I've been monitoring is one of them. These strike me as better locations for urban sites than Walmarts/Targets, as they tend to be located where there are more food options within walking distance.

Interesting. I had assumed that E. Brunswick was urban due to its location in the NYC metro area. But it is also right off of the I-95 highway corridor and certainly appears more of a highway station than an Urban one. I stand corrected.

Of interest, EVGo has two stations nearby, one of which is at the I-95 service plaza. If I was travelling I-95 in need of a charge, that would be my first choice due to convenience. We need one of these companies to partner with the service plaza operators and provide charging at all of them.

Per WetEV, three sites are open, making 15 for the month and 365 total: Glendale, CA (Urb., SR. 2 ex. 16 or S.R. 134 ex. 9A/B); Carson, CA (Urb., I-110 ex. 5); Paso Robles, CA (U.S. 101 ex. 230/231A).

Paso Robles is the first EA site on U.S. 101 south of the Bay Area, and it and the others (Gilroy, Salinas, Greenfield, Pismo Beach, Camarillo) are needed to close the gap between the Bay Area and L.A. on this major highway. It's 179 miles between this site and Milpitas to the north, 242/243 to Van Nuys/Los Angeles to the south, so one or two more either side of Paso Robles is needed to make the route practical, although there are slower Chargepoint and EVgo sites that can be used instead.

BTW, the "Los Angeles" site (more like Culver City or Santa Monica) that just opened wasn't on WetEV's list, so I've added it.

Back