62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my plus (and not riding with impatient family) I try to keep it within one bar of power (this is on the new dash, not the old Leaf). 1 bar can keep you at low freeway speeds.

Two slightly off topic questions, but all the 62kwh Plus folks are the right audience:

I'm starting on putting a 62 into my 2014, https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27600&start=180 and I would be very interested in pictures of the Plus pack mounting, especially in front of the pack, with covers off. If there's any Plus owners out there who enjoy 'looking under the hood' like me, I can lay under a vehicle for hours looking at it, lot's of neat stuff up there.

Is there a 'The 62KWH Battery Topic', for reporting and tracking the 62 pack SOH & Ahr estimates over time with comments about how we're charging and using the car? ala, the 40KWH Topic: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25773 Should we start a topic? I see a couple of SOH data points in this thread. I have a reading from my pack when I picked it up, 97ish SOH, and it was at 91% SOC. I wish it was lower, as it could have been left high for a while. It may be a little while before I get it put in and down to a better storage SOC. I'm curious to see what the SOH does by then.

LeftieBiker said:
Good idea on the 62kwh topic. Go ahead and start it.

I will also be starting one here "soonish" but if there is already one in progress, all the better.

Lets put in the pertinent info; These should be the minimum

charging methods
SOC ranges
daily mileage driven
location including any special terrain/weather challenges
climate control needs

Of course adding anything you think pertinent. EVs having such a high efficiency means small things can really knock that efficiency down. A few % is actually significant since it would be the difference in "possible" efficiency minus 100%.

DaveinOlyWA said:
jlv said:
Birillo said:
Sounds like there is no real efficiency gain from lowering acceleration, although there are other advantages.
I'm not sure where you get that conclusion. Lowering acceleration will result in real efficiency gains.

Aggressive acceleration isn't the best thing for any battery and the higher the current, the higher the resistance so gentle acceleration will boost your efficiency dramatically. This is why I drive Eco all the time. In fact, its the ONLY mode that I use all the time. E Pedal I love but its not always engaged. D mode is used the least, B mode is at least 75% of the time, but Eco is always on simply because it smoothes the power demand spikes that may be fun to do but is wasteful and detrimental to range.

Thank you. This is the information I was seeking.

May: 4.0 Miles/kWh Distance: 1,022 miles
Jun: 4.0 Miles/kWh Distance: 905 miles
Jul: 4.0 Miles/kWh Distance: 880 miles
Aug: 4.5 Miles/kWh Distance: 904 miles (855 logged by NissanConnect, reported bug) (test month, drove soft + increased tire pressure)
Sep: 4.0 Miles/kWh Distance: 896 miles
Oct: 4.1 Miles/kWh Distance: 811 miles
Nov: 3.6 Miles/kWh Distance: 895 miles (more use of heat, average temp probably about 50 for the month)

Ok, so not "driving" efficiency but "charging" efficiency is also important if DC'ing on the road and want to get the best bang for the buck. Some interesting observations here that further illustrate there is a lot more going on with the E Plus over the 40 kwh besides more range.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/12/e-plus-charging-profile-still-searching.html

So the e+ doesn't put off enough heat to keep its self warm.
Already sounds better than a 40kwh pack.

Oilpan4 said:
So the e+ doesn't put off enough heat to keep its self warm.
Already sounds better than a 40kwh pack.

Part of it is simply more modules to spread out the heat. I am sure its better chemistry as well. But heat issues are a small part of the equation. Many claim their car didn't have rapidgate when the truth was they simply didn't have the need to drive far enough to find out. With greater range, there will be even more people claiming rapidgate is gone. We shall see. I have no doubt the range will work for 98% of the people 98% of the time so it will be fun to find out just how range that is. ;)

December results(not driving the car tomorrow)

637 miles
3.8 miles/kWh.

About 25% highway driving.

We had a warmer week with days above 50F in Chicago which pushed up efficiency for the month.

DougWantsALeaf said:
December results(not driving the car tomorrow)

637 miles
3.8 miles/kWh.

About 25% highway driving.

We had a warmer week with days above 50F in Chicago which pushed up efficiency for the month.

I will post my monthly soon.
FYI; Last Friday, I dropped below 4. 0 miles/kwh "lifetime" but have since probably elevated above that now. This is with a lot of "less than legal" driving :cool: Realize my lifetime consists of 15 days in November to now. So should be right around the 4 mark I think .

Missed the 4 plateau!

1381.1 miles
349.8 kwh used (according to dash reset daily)
3.95 miles/ kwh
323.15 kwh DC
26.42 kwh L2
Cost; (all EA) $7.43

Notes; no home charging. L2 all Volta while watching movies

I accidentally charged to 100% overnight.

SOH 97.20 1/21/2020
Last reading
SOH 97.22 12/27/2019
Prior before that
SOH 97.25 12/7/2019

Just over 1000 miles driven between 12/7 and 1/21

So about 25 days for .02 looks like flattening is continuing for now.

1329.4 miles
3.92 miles/kwh

When freeway was involved its 3.5 - 3.8
Otherwise its 4.2 - 4.5 with a few 4.9's and one 5.0

Looks like 90 day BMS adjustments are alive and well. Just experienced my first and like the bigger pack, this adjustment is the largest I have experienced by a huge margin.

Back