Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wmcbrine said:
And given that this is going to happen -- the sooner, the better. Standards confusion is a barrier to EV adoption.
Tesla's charging incompatibility is an attempt at monopoly.

If Tesla controls the majority of charging networks, Tesla controls the market for EVs.

wmcbrine said:
(BTW, it's a stretch to call Teslas CHAdeMO-compatible, when they need a $450 adapter for it.)
I'm not sure it's that much of a stretch. The SAE Combo inlet on US-market Bolts isn't standard on either trim level. It's a $750 option.

wmcbrine said:
webeleafowners said:
I’m not sure I understand EA’s logic. The number one sold EV in North America (Tesla model 3) is Chademo compatible. We see Tesla’s at chademos all the time regardless of the fact they have the Supercharger network. Why would you deliberately exclude or limit the biggest group of customers. I think it’s more of a political Volkswagen centric decision.

Despite driving a CHAdeMO car myself, and regardless what anyone may think about the technical merits, it seems clear to me that CCS is going to displace CHAdeMO in North America (at least). The only open question is whether Tesla will ever be assimilated as well. (BTW, it's a stretch to call Teslas CHAdeMO-compatible, when they need a $450 adapter for it.)

And given that this is going to happen -- the sooner, the better. Standards confusion is a barrier to EV adoption.

It’s neither here or there to me wether Chademo disappears or not as we change cars every 5 or 6 years. But in our province the most common EV’s are Leafs and Tesla’s. The rest are available in extremely limited numbers. The goverment determines what public stations consist of in terms of CCS and Chademo. Right now it’s one for one. There are CCS only stations at some Chevy dealers but they are usuallly behind locked gates and accesible only to bolt drivers..if they get permission.

WetEV said:
wmcbrine said:

If Tesla controls the majority of charging networks, Tesla controls the market for EVs.
Except that Tesla offered to share their charging network with any other manufacturer if they were wiling to share in the cost to build out the charging network. Oddly enough, no other manufacturer was willing to participate. it's only a monopoly in the sense that nobody else joined. It's not even proprietary since Tesla offered to share it without royalties, just requiring participation in building it.

johnlocke said:
WetEV said:
wmcbrine said:

Except that Tesla offered to share their charging network with any other manufacturer if they were wiling to share in the cost to build out the charging network. Oddly enough, no other manufacturer was willing to participate. it's only a monopoly in the sense that nobody else joined. It's not even proprietary since Tesla offered to share it without royalties, just requiring participation in building it.
Why would a manufacturer pay for a competitor's market advantage?
Not so oddly, not one was dumb enough.

johnlocke said:
WetEV said:
wmcbrine said:

Yeah, Tesla was so magnanimous in their offer knowing full well no manufacturer would give up that much control just to plug in.

Was this their punishment for cheating on diesel emissions?

As required by Appendix C to the 2.0-Liter Partial Consent Decree entered by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on October 25, 2016, Volkswagen Group of America is investing $2 billion over 10 years to support the increased adoption of ZEV technology in the United States. Of this $2 billion investment, $1.2 billion will be spent outside of California. This investment represents the largest commitment of its kind to date. Following conference with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), this plan defines the National investments to be made or targeted in Cycle 2, from July 2019 through December 2021.

^^^
Thanks. The headline is "Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions". It provided good context.

I think some key takeaways are:
- Use their app! They know they have some credit card reader problems.
- Report your successes and failures to PlugShare. If you have a problem w/their stations, call them! Report it on PlugShare!
- If you have a Kona Electric or Niro EV, don't use their chargers until they resolve their pricing issue. You will otherwise get reamed.

Guy,

EA and drivers are reporting Bishop and Hesperia, CA are live.

That makes two stations (Bridgeport and Bishop) on 395 on the East Side of the Sierra. Coso Junction and Mojave remain. Could EA actually be on the move to open them as well?

Paul

paulgipe said:
Guy,

EA and drivers are reporting Bishop and Hesperia, CA are live.

That makes two stations (Bridgeport and Bishop) on 395 on the East Side of the Sierra. Coso Junction and Mojave remain. Could EA actually be on the move to open them as well?

Paul

Someone visited Bishop and Bridgeport with their Kona and was not happy with how EA charged them, per plugshare yesterday, and now today both his negative reviews are gone! He was claiming that EA was charging him the second tier even though he never went into the second tier KW rates.

I'll be excited when Mojave and Coso junction open up but I will be even more excited when alternatives open up, someday.

Also, did not CA just update the laws for how EV charging stations can charge? I caught only a piece of it on the news but I thought they said no more charging for time. I'd be happy with straight charging per KWhr plus maybe a demand fee if you are on "high" end Fast chargers but I also thought the reason they charged for time was they ere not allowed to "resell" by the KWhr?

cwerdna said:
^^^
Thanks. The headline is "Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions". It provided good context.

I think some key takeaways are:
- Use their app! They know they have some credit card reader problems.
- Report your successes and failures to PlugShare. If you have a problem w/their stations, call them! Report it on PlugShare!
- If you have a Kona Electric or Niro EV, don't use their chargers until they resolve their pricing issue. You will otherwise get reamed.

Just to reiterate;

I have had a success rate of 20% using EA machine (NFC pad, CC skimmer, touchscreen) most of which was done during Summer when the supply of patience is vast.

BUT

I have had 100% success using the app. Process; pull up, jump out of car, plug in, jump back into car. (Its winter time when patience has all but disappeared) Start charge with app.

When time to end charge; tap end. FYI, I have yet to see it take more than 2 seconds (if that) for charge to end. The response is always immediate. I will be experimenting with the app in March in known weak cell areas.

As far as plugging in with a Kona right now. Taken December 27, 2019 in Lacey WA. You have been warned. Its not a pretty sight... :shock:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ieG1c463LZEgoPQx5

30602 Santa Margarita Parkway
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688

and

470 Airport Road
Willows, CA 95988

and

681 Leavesley Road
Gilroy, CA 95020

An interesting layout. Both some nose in and some "on the side" chargers. The Chademo seems to be one of the "on the side" slots.

508787.jpg

Playing catch-up, as I'm about to head into the Yosemite backcountry tomorrow evening for several days of X-C skiing, and I'm still trying to get everything ready. IDK if I'll have time to post tomorrow and I'll be off-line for most of next week, so WetEV and others will need to keep monitoring and reporting the openings.

Anyway, per WetEV four additional sites to Burbank #2 opened on the 31st, all in California, making 28 for the month and 378 total: El Centro, CA (I-8 ex. 114); Buena Park, CA (S.R. 91 ex. 23B or I-5 ex. 116); Bishop, CA. (Jct. U.S. 6/395); Hesperia, CA (I-15 ex. 143).

In 2018, in just under 8 months EA opened 60 sites. Over all twelve months this year they've opened 318.

Per WetEV, three sites have opened, all in California, making 3 for the month and 381 total: Willows, CA (I-5 ex. 603); Gilroy, CA (U.S. 101 ex. 357); Rancho Santa Margarita (Urb., S.R. 241 ex. 19).

With the exception of Rancho Santa Margarita, Burbank #2 and maybe Buena Park, all of the above sites are primarily for road trips.

Willows is infill on I-5 north of Sacramento between Dunnigan and Anderson, nice to have rather than critical.

Gilroy is the first site south of San Jose on U.S. 101, and it's 126 miles to the site in Paso Robles, so that leg is now practical.

El Centro shortens the 171 mile leg between San Diego and Yuma to 112 miles.

Hesperia is close enough to the I-15 junction with 395 to serve both routes, although both need at least one more site to make them practical: Coso Junction on 395, Barstow or Baker on I-15, although you can use the EVgo site at Baker (103 miles) instead.

Bishop is critical for 395, and it's now reachable from Bridgeport (89 miles) to the north, but still needs Coso Junction from the south as Hesperia's 221 miles.

Back