EVgo To Add Tesla Connectors At Fast Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing they'll be slower than Superchargers and possibly be even under the 72 kW urban Superchargers, but at least it gives Tesla drivers more choices along busy travel corridors.

Examples:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/31274/more-teslas-on-the-road-meant-hours-long-supercharger-lines-over-thanksgiving, specifically
https://www.facebook.com/shanon.stellini/videos/10221275983794800/

And, it should give EVgo the opportunity to not be killed by demand charges for underutilized stations.

A few months ago, I saw that eVgo was advertising that they had some Tesla chademo adapters chained onto a few of their DC FC stations for Teslas to use. So I would look at this as the next logical step....A customer is a customer....

LeftieBiker said:
I can hardly wait to get "Elon'd" at my only local QC. And yes, I WILL think of a better acronym. I just got up.
Well... people get Musk'ed. And, sometimes Teslas that get shamed for blocking EV spaces at https://www.facebook.com/groups/evholes/ receive the #THOLE "hash tag".

I suppose that this was inevitable. Tesla is building 400,000 cars a year in the US. With new production in China and the construction of Gigafactory 4 in Germany, most of that US production is going to stay in the US. The majority of EV's in the US are likely to be Tesla's. If you sell electricity to cars and light trucks, you'd like to capture as much business as possible so of course you install compatible equipment. I had hoped that Tesla would add a CCS port to their cars but it looks like the tail wags the dog here. We need more charging stations and if catering to Tesla is the price to get it, so be it.

I received an FB ad that points to https://www.evgo.com/tesla-charging-sf. It has a few more details. I guess the box on the left contains a CHAdeMO adapter but w/much longer cord.

It's one of those things: my local EVGo fast charge station is underutilized and I fear it will be closed, but OTOH I don't want to get "THOLEd" every time I need or want to use it. I only charge for 30 minutes, but you can bet that Teslas will spend 60-120 minutes charging.

Hopefully other players like Electrify America show up.

We've got a fair # of EA coming soon locations sprouting up within 30 miles of home but the two closest ones for me have had equipment in place for awhile (at least a few weeks, if not longer) but no power. Not sure what's the hold up.

There are going to be 500,000 Tesla's on the road by next year maybe more. You can't ignore half your market and expect to succeed. If EVGO puts in even a few more stations to service Tesla's, you come out ahead. It looks like the Tesla plugs will be paired with CCS plugs anyway, so you won't lose anything. In fact, if a Tesla is using a Tesla plug then it's not using a Chademo plug.

It looks like the Tesla plugs will be paired with CCS plugs anyway, so you won't lose anything.

My local EVGo station has one charger with two cables - you choose one. AFAIK it doesn't support using both at once. If that is indeed the case, then a car using the CCS cable blocks the Chademo cable from being used.

johnlocke said:
There are going to be 500,000 Tesla's on the road by next year maybe more. You can't ignore half your market and expect to succeed. If EVGO puts in even a few more stations to service Tesla's, you come out ahead. It looks like the Tesla plugs will be paired with CCS plugs anyway, so you won't lose anything. In fact, if a Tesla is using a Tesla plug then it's not using a Chademo plug.

Say what? You can only charge one car and Tesla does not have a CCS compatible option in the states. So a Tesla will prevent anyone else from using that station

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
I couldn't find an answer to using both cables at once, so I emailed EVGo. We'll see what they say.

yeah not possible. Its one or the other.

It's possible, in theory, to split the current. I just don't think that they are designed to do that. For one thing they would also need to split and double the display screen.

DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:

Say what? You can only charge one car and Tesla does not have a CCS compatible option in the states. So a Tesla will prevent anyone else from using that station
From the pictures I've seen the EVGO station has one CCS plug and one Tesla style plug. The charge stations will be 150 KWH capable. Doesn't matter if it's used by a Tesla on the Tesla plug or some other car on the CCS plug. Leafs can't use either one. Add to that that Chademo plugs are limited to 50 KWH which would encourage Teslas to pick the other plug if possible. All the chargers I've seen that have Chademo connectors also have a CCS connector as well and you can only charge from one plug at a time, just a fact of life. if EVGO puts in more chargers it is most likely that only one or two stations out of how ever many stations they install at a location will have a Chademo plug. The rest will be CCS/Tesla plus a single J1772 station. Teslas won't be hogging the Chademo stations but VW's, Fords, GM and others with CCS plugs will try to use the CCS side. Although there are currently more Chademo stations than CCS stations, that will change dramatically over the next couple of years. The EA stations I've seen all have two dual stations with CCS plugs and a dual station with a CCS plug and a Chademo plug. I don't know if the EA stations support dual charging from a single station because I haven't seem one that's operational yet. It does seem as if the EA CCS/Chademo station only supports single car charging. CCS in the US is the future, Chademo is going away sooner or later.

One reason I'm considering VW is because of it's CCS port.

^^^
You mean 50 kW and 150 kW? I don't know what's meant by "The charge stations will be 150 KWH capable" and "Chademo plugs are limited to 50 KWH".

As for EA, it's unfortunate that VW-owned EA is stacking the deck in favor of their own vehicle brands (e.g. VW, Porsche, Audi, etc.) instead of having a more even mix at each site. Their vehicles make up a TINY # of EVs in the US and some for the US market aren't even available outside CARB emission states (e.g. e-Golf)

Back