EVgo To Add Tesla Connectors At Fast Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just not going to consider VW unless they get nationalized - by Sweden. The icing on the cake with EVGo is that they don't seem to be putting L-2 charging stations in much of the time, so a Leaf literally can't charge at them at all, ever, if there is no Chademo. The DCFC station I use has been there for years, but with my old Leaf it may as well have been a diesel fuel pump - no L-2.

Cwerdna slipped in ahead. Yes, instead of punishing VW for mass manslaughter, they are just being forced to invest more in their charging infrastructure. A harsh slap on the wrist.

johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:
There are going to be 500,000 Tesla's on the road by next year maybe more. You can't ignore half your market and expect to succeed. If EVGO puts in even a few more stations to service Tesla's, you come out ahead. It looks like the Tesla plugs will be paired with CCS plugs anyway, so you won't lose anything. In fact, if a Tesla is using a Tesla plug then it's not using a Chademo plug.

Say what? You can only charge one car and Tesla does not have a CCS compatible option in the states. So a Tesla will prevent anyone else from using that station
From the pictures I've seen the EVGO station has one CCS plug and one Tesla style plug. The charge stations will be 150 KWH capable. Doesn't matter if it's used by a Tesla on the Tesla plug or some other car on the CCS plug. Leafs can't use either one. Add to that that Chademo plugs are limited to 50 KWH which would encourage Teslas to pick the other plug if possible. All the chargers I've seen that have Chademo connectors also have a CCS connector as well and you can only charge from one plug at a time, just a fact of life. if EVGO puts in more chargers it is most likely that only one or two stations out of how ever many stations they install at a location will have a Chademo plug. The rest will be CCS/Tesla plus a single J1772 station. Teslas won't be hogging the Chademo stations but VW's, Fords, GM and others with CCS plugs will try to use the CCS side. Although there are currently more Chademo stations than CCS stations, that will change dramatically over the next couple of years. The EA stations I've seen all have two dual stations with CCS plugs and a dual station with a CCS plug and a Chademo plug. I don't know if the EA stations support dual charging from a single station because I haven't seem one that's operational yet. It does seem as if the EA CCS/Chademo station only supports single car charging. CCS in the US is the future, Chademo is going away sooner or later.

One reason I'm considering VW is because of it's CCS port.

What is stopping you from posting these pix? Cause I have seen nothing like you describe. What I see is the standard setup; CCS on one side, chademo on the other with a box mounted to the side. Tesla plugs into the box.

On yours (or anyone else's dual charging speculations)

You either haven't been to an EA location or you noticed very little while you were there since EVERY EA station I have seen has the EXACT same number of parking spaces as stations. IOW; Even if the station could charge two cars at once it couldn't do it because there is no where else to park.

Now before we discuss parking in the adjacent space (which would block a station that can be used) realize the cables are not long enough to reach.

cwerdna said:
^^^
You mean 50 kW and 150 kW? I don't know what's meant by "The charge stations will be 150 KWH capable" and "Chademo plugs are limited to 50 KWH".

As for EA, it's unfortunate that VW-owned EA is stacking the deck in favor of their own vehicle brands (e.g. VW, Porsche, Audi, etc.) instead of having a more even mix at each site. Their vehicles make up a TINY # of EVs in the US and some for the US market aren't even available outside CARB emission states (e.g. e-Golf)
My error. 150 KW and 50 KW. I get so used to using KWH for batteries that sometimes I forget.

DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Say what? You can only charge one car and Tesla does not have a CCS compatible option in the states. So a Tesla will prevent anyone else from using that station
From the pictures I've seen the EVGO station has one CCS plug and one Tesla style plug. The charge stations will be 150 KWH capable. Doesn't matter if it's used by a Tesla on the Tesla plug or some other car on the CCS plug. Leafs can't use either one. Add to that that Chademo plugs are limited to 50 KWH which would encourage Teslas to pick the other plug if possible. All the chargers I've seen that have Chademo connectors also have a CCS connector as well and you can only charge from one plug at a time, just a fact of life. if EVGO puts in more chargers it is most likely that only one or two stations out of how ever many stations they install at a location will have a Chademo plug. The rest will be CCS/Tesla plus a single J1772 station. Teslas won't be hogging the Chademo stations but VW's, Fords, GM and others with CCS plugs will try to use the CCS side. Although there are currently more Chademo stations than CCS stations, that will change dramatically over the next couple of years. The EA stations I've seen all have two dual stations with CCS plugs and a dual station with a CCS plug and a Chademo plug. I don't know if the EA stations support dual charging from a single station because I haven't seem one that's operational yet. It does seem as if the EA CCS/Chademo station only supports single car charging. CCS in the US is the future, Chademo is going away sooner or later.

What is stopping you from posting these pix? Cause I have seen nothing like you describe. What I see is the standard setup; CCS on one side, chademo on the other with a box mounted to the side. Tesla plugs into the box.

You either haven't been to an EA location or you noticed very little while you were there since EVERY EA station I have seen has the EXACT same number of parking spaces as stations. IOW; Even if the station could charge two cars at once it couldn't do it because there is no where else to park.

Now before we discuss parking in the adjacent space (which would block a station that can be used) realize the cables are not long enough to reach.
The EA stations I've seen so far are still under construction. The Walmart station i looked at had 5 parking spaces with two charging stations with dual CCS plugs and at the fifth parking space there was a single J1772 charger. About 400 feet away next to the garden dept, there was a charging station with a CCS plug and a Chademo plug. The Walmart is located here in San Diego off Aero Drive at the I-15. There is another Station at the Walmart in Grossmont Center but I haven't looked at it yet.

As for the EVGO station, what I saw was a press release that showed several charging stations in a row. Google EVGO and Tesla charger if you want to see the press release.

johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:

The EA stations I've seen so far are still under construction. The Walmart station i looked at had 5 parking spaces with two charging stations with dual CCS plugs and at the fifth parking space there was a single J1772 charger. About 400 feet away next to the garden dept, there was a charging station with a CCS plug and a Chademo plug. The Walmart is located here in San Diego off Aero Drive at the I-15. There is another Station at the Walmart in Grossmont Center but I haven't looked at it yet.

As for the EVGO station, what I saw was a press release that showed several charging stations in a row. Google EVGO and Tesla charger if you want to see the press release.

What is the location of these EA stations? Better yet; has anyone seen an EA Station that has more parking spaces than stations?

DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

What is the location of these EA stations? Better yet; has anyone seen an EA Station that has more parking spaces than stations?
God, did you even read the post? Look at the last two sentences in the first paragraph. Since you seem to think I'm lying feel free to ignore my posts. I can't imagine why you think I'd lie about this or what advantage I'd gain from it. Especially since they are CCS chargers to start with.

LeftieBiker said:
It's possible, in theory, to split the current. I just don't think that they are designed to do that. For one thing they would also need to split and double the display screen.

It wouldn't help CHAdeMO but with CCS, one option would be to DCFC the first car plugged in and AC charge the second car. Once the charging rate of the first card drops below a certain threshold, switch it to AC charging and start DCFCing the second car. This would obviously require populating and connecting the AC charging pins on the J1772 connector.

Regarding the other comments regarding EA, check out the most recent "Plugged-in with Tom Moloughney" segement on E for Electric:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJQXSl7fKUs

I was just looking at some of the plugshare logs, and in some of the more remote locations and Canada (same thing? .. just teasing) Teslas dominate the Chademo use. Ex look at Fargo’s Chademo.

I hate to say it, but we might need Tesla to save Chademo.

Nissan, please cut a deal with them.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I was just looking at some of the plugshare logs, and in some of the more remote locations and Canada (same thing? .. just teasing) Teslas dominate the Chademo use. Ex look at Fargo’s Chademo.

I hate to say it, but we might need Tesla to save Chademo.

Nissan, please cut a deal with them.

Maybe they could work a deal to have an adapter to allow Leafs to use Tesla Superchargers* and have new Nissan BEVs use the Tesla adapter. You often hear Tesla fans say that Tesla is willing to let other EV manufactures use their Superchargers, but none have negotiated this. This could be a smoother transition for Nissan than converting to CCS.

* does anyone else see the irony that Elon Musk teased Porsche for using the name Turbo for their EVs yet Tesla stole the term Supercharger from ICE hot rods?

Roots type supercharger on AMC V8 engine for dragstrip racing
By CZmarlin — Christopher Ziemnowicz, releases all rights but a photo credit would be appreciated if this image is used anywhere other than Wikipedia. Please leave a note at Wikipedia here. Thank you! - Own work, Public Domain, Link
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5114914

Superchargers were actually used on commercial trucks first. Hot rodders used to comb junkyards for truck superchargers before they became an aftermarket industry.

LeftieBiker said:
Superchargers were actually used on commercial trucks first. Hot rodders used to comb junkyards for truck superchargers before they became an aftermarket industry.

Interesting. Thanks for that piece of history.

roger1818 said:
LeftieBiker said:

Interesting. Thanks for that piece of history.

I got that info from a young adult novel I read as a preteen. I think it was called "Drag Strip" but I'm not sure. An interesting look at the early days of sanctioned drag racing.

The reverse Tesla adapter is a great idea. As only Nissan and Mitsubishi are in Chademo (maybe Toyota) they could just put a rfid or Bluetooth adapter in it to facilitate charging. It would give good optics that Tesla is open to the EV world, while in practice limiting that openness.

Certainly I would like access to all the l3 chargers I can so Tesla superchargers (with an adapter) would be great.. The Leaf has over a hundred mile range now, I have a plus which is over 200 that means road trips are more doable. On a road trip one does not have time to do l2 except at a hotel. As a homeowner though I have a l2 at home and l2 at work and l2 at some other places I go even the airport, that means to use pay l3 chargers in the city would not be often so there is that demand issue, apartment dwellers or renters who have no charging at work may help be a market in addition to the road trippers.

Back