Pics of the EVSE Innards

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy,
I agree with your torroid analysis, and the current sensor that I did not distinguish in the low-res view.

However, it appears to me that the blue (CP) signal wire is a lot shorter than power and ground, and it runs to left side of the relay and pulls loose there.

terminals.jpg

It's somewhat odd, but the white wire coming off the terminal block appears to be alone and smaller gauge. As you noted, there's no sign of DC wires from the 'lump' so I don't expect that's a 12V power supply.

One thing's for sure, this EVSE looks much different than the unit in the early AeroVironment installation video!

originalAV.jpg

Thanks for the fantastic pictures, Tango!

I bought one of these used and I can't figure out what to do with the white wire as it shows only black and red hot lines 1 and 2 and then green ground. No white neutral which is wired from the 40 amp breaker panel and at the stove plug.

Any help would be appreciated

Evwhitby said:
I bought one of these used and I can't figure out what to do with the white wire as it shows only black and red hot lines 1 and 2 and then green ground. No white neutral which is wired from the 40 amp breaker panel and at the stove plug.

Does your EVSE use a plug or are you trying to hard-wire the unit directly into a junction box?

Is the 'stove plug' you mentioned the receptacle (female side) on the wall or is it the plug (male side) from the EVSE?

It sounds like your EVSE doesn't need the neutral (white) wire. It will use only the 2 hot wires and the grounding conductor (green).

Does the EVSE have a cable ending in 14-50 plug (stove plug) on it?

Evwhitby said:

The AeroVironment unit does not need neutral--just Line 1, Line 2, and Ground (typically black and red for the two lines and green for ground). If you are using a pigtail cord for an electric range (4-wire cable with NEMA 14-50 plug), insulate the end of the white wire in the cord and don't connect it to anything inside the EVSE.

Back