Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tesla just quietly increased their price by $500
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-just-quietly-increased-their-price-by-500.177512/

Given this happened and off-menu SR became $35,400 per https://electrek.co/2019/05/14/tesla-model-3-increases-price/ in mid-May 2019, I wonder if that means it's now $35,900 not including tax and $1,200 destination & doc fee?

^^^ I'd thought about posting a link to this story (on IEVS) yesterday, but electrek had the same story back in October, which made me wonder why IEVS and other sites only mentioned it now.

cwerdna said:
Given this happened and off-menu SR became $35,400 per https://electrek.co/2019/05/14/tesla-model-3-increases-price/ in mid-May 2019, I wonder if that means it's now $35,900 not including tax and $1,200 destination & doc fee?

I was considering getting a model 3 this year before the credit expired as someone was interested in taking over my lease on the Leaf. The deal fell through but I had reserved a base standard range model 3 knowing I could cancel before delivery if things didn't work out.

Long story short, I ordered in mid November 2019 (would have been delivered about now) and it was not $35,400 it was $35,000 even. I don't have any screen shots but I remember being really surprised when I saw that because I had read it was going to be $35,400 and the Sales Advisor had told me it would be $35,400 but when I went into the configurator it was only $35,000. The standard range package knocked $1,400 off the SR+ price and then removing autopilot knocked another $3,000 off.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Anyway to keep Tesla from collecting and tracking your data/location.

Doug, did you ever get an answer to this part of your question?

The answer is yes, you can disable data and/or location sharing.

Our Tesla Model 3 Suffered a Catastrophic Failure While Parked
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30361800/tesla-model-3-long-term-failure-stranded-while-parked/
Not only is this the first time we've ever had a long-term car suffer a catastrophic failure while parked, it's also an extraordinarily rare case of any car leaving us stranded, something unacceptable for any new vehicle, particularly one that costs $57,690 and with merely 5286 miles on the odometer. Even our problem-prone Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio was at least able to limp to the dealer following each one of its numerous issues.
Our opinion on the service experience hasn't improved much in the subsequent days. We heard back on the afternoon of the 26th that our car was in the queue to be diagnosed, but there was no time frame given for how long that might take. After a two-day wait, we were informed that there are issues with the rear drive unit, the pyrotechnic battery disconnect, and the 12-volt battery and that they are waiting for parts. Again, no estimated time was given for when we might be able to cease scrambling for backup transportation.

I think that Tesla still operates on the assumption, left over from the S, that while your Tesla is in the shop you'll just drive the other $50k+ car(s) in your garage.

^^^
Interesting thought. They clearly reneged on https://www.tesla.com/blog/creating-world%E2%80%99s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0 starting a few years ago. Seems like it was quietly done w/no announcements and is totally became totally YMMV in terms of what they might provide.

A co-worker with a 3 long ago received a Chrysler 300 rental as a loaner which he felt was a terrible car. He finally was able to turn it back in for a loaner Model S. From a quick Google for site:teslamotorsclub.com uber credits, it seems like they've been providing Uber credits.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30361800/tesla-model-3-long-term-failure-stranded-while-parked/

This is the first time we've ever had a long-term car suffer a catastrophic failure while parked, and also the first time we've been alerted to our being stranded by a push notification from a mobile app.

WetEV said:

This is the first time we've ever had a long-term car suffer a catastrophic failure while parked, and also the first time we've been alerted to our being stranded by a push notification from a mobile app.

Do you read this thread page before regurgitating? LOL. Another sensational headline. There is nothing catastrophic, and they don't know the actual issue but it makes good click bait. My LEAF had a catastrophic HV failure the first month and was not drivable. Had to be towed to the dealer and I was stranded 60 miles from home (my range limit ) In fact many did, anyone remember that? No, because CD did not have one nor would they care because a car with one magazine had an issue it becomes more Tesla click bait. I guess this is like all the thousands of 3s with failing drives that never happened? Did we forge that scandal? How about the prolific 12V battery issue on here that never happened but did on the LEAF? More nonsense. I wish I had a dollar for every car i see broken down on the side of the road with new dealer plates. Catastrophic, LOL. just like the fuse that tripped on a 3 that became "massive motor failures". Well there goes the stock price again... I love this free advertising as Tesla just sold out of M3s this year and can't even deliver all the cars they sold.

I don't really like wading into the Tesla 'discussions' but I have to say....I saw an darkish metallic orange Model 3 yesterday here in Boulder and it was a good looking car. I've never seen that color before and wonder if it was a special color or repainted or ??

goldbrick said:
I don't really like wading into the Tesla 'discussions' but I have to say....I saw an darkish metallic orange Model 3 yesterday here in Boulder and it was a good looking car. I've never seen that color before and wonder if it was a special color or repainted or ??

Probably a wrap.

hyperionmark said:
And many Tesla bears only look at their car segment and forget this is now a wide base energy company. And even though their car segment is largest it is comforting to know as a shareholder how diversified they are.

cwerdna said:
hyperionmark said:
Congrats...you just wasted a lot of time. I didn't even read any of that. :)
What can I say? Tesla fanboy and "cult of Elon" based upon misperceptions.

Tesla is nowhere near diversified and them buying SolarCity, a $ losing business isn't particularly helpful.
While looking at https://ir.tesla.com/node/20246/html#Item1_Financial_Statements for something else, I took a look at their revenues on page 5. Automotive revenues made up nearly 85% of their revenues. Energy generation and storage was just under 6.4% of revenues.

cwerdna said:
hyperionmark said:
And many Tesla bears only look at their car segment and forget this is now a wide base energy company. And even though their car segment is largest it is comforting to know as a shareholder how diversified they are.

cwerdna said:
hyperionmark said:
Congrats...you just wasted a lot of time. I didn't even read any of that. :)
What can I say? Tesla fanboy and "cult of Elon" based upon misperceptions.

Tesla is nowhere near diversified and them buying SolarCity, a $ losing business isn't particularly helpful.
While looking at https://ir.tesla.com/node/20246/html#Item1_Financial_Statements for something else, I took a look at their revenues on page 5. Automotive revenues made up nearly 85% of their revenues. Energy generation and storage was just under 6.4% of revenues.

That's a pretty significant amount when you factor 6.4% of $7B is over $400 million in a single quarter.

It's a growing revenue stream. So don't expect billions from it yet until gigafactory Reno ramps up higher. They've been having issues hiring skilled workers - latest Panasonic earnings said they've just solved this by hiring and retraining chemical engineers in other industries to do the job.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
That's a pretty significant amount when you factor 6.4% of $7B is over $400 million in a single quarter.

It's a growing revenue stream. So don't expect billions from it yet until gigafactory Reno ramps up higher. They've been having issues hiring skilled workers - latest Panasonic earnings said they've just solved this by hiring and retraining chemical engineers in other industries to do the job.
For YTD 2019 vs. 2019, per the same page, revenues are actually down slightly in that segment.

From some digging I did for a response on another forum, seems like their solar business is a disaster with MW of panels being installed per quarter or year being way down vs. their peak. At least their energy storage business is making up for that.

Maybe their solar prices are higher than other installers? There is still a nice tax credit for solar though that is stepping down. Some utilities are looking at charging for time of use so if they are approved which I suspect eventually they will be then the battery business may have increased growth for "peak shaving". If for example I stored my solar energy in a battery (which I do not have at this time) I could pull it at a popular time like 7pm or so when the sun is down in the winter and people are home from work making dinner etc. avoiding the higher time of use charge but not pulling from the grid at that time. I did hear that Xcel in Colorado applied, not sure they will be approved this time but give it time I bet they will.

With the Model 3 selling so well, any guesses what will become of them all when the warranty expires?

Asking because I looked at a very nice 2013 S 85 130k miles, $28k. Lots of fun to drive, excellent condition. But most of my "Tesla-enabled friends" said "run away!" (actually they all said "buy new!"). It sounds like most Tesla owners are planning to sell before the warranty expires. It also sounds like the value of a Tesla crashes when you can't get a warranty, and we're already seeing that with 6-year-old cars.

To maximize the warranty period, a new Model 3 owner could opt for the 8-year extended warranty; then sell back to Tesla before 100k miles. Tesla can resell as CPO with 2-year warranty, so the car should still have decent value. But two years and 25k miles later, the car doesn't even qualify for the 3rd-party "X-care" warranty. It sounds like those 10+ year/125k+ mile Model 3s will only be purchased by drievers who can self-insure.

So long as Tesla remains a luxury brand, then it's completely OK for the car to be expensive to maintain outside of warranty (I can get a Certified 2016 Mercedes C300 for $21k... but I wouldn't want to pay to maintain it). But Tesla is talking about making "million mile batteries," which would be pointless if nobody wants to own the car after 10 years.

Back