What's new for 2020?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea it does not look like the have the proper passion or focus on trying to compete. I expect this is the same battery pack as the leaf as well. Does e-power stuff use the same pack as well, I kinda suspect so but have not looked at that yet. It saves money so I expect a whole lot of reuse.

I did buy a 2019 plus recently, my hope is the new battery chemistry and larger capacity keeps me going for years but remember Nissan got a lot of flack over their 2011 and 2012 battery capacity loss so a cooling system may get rid of a lot of unease. Sure you can say Nissan is being punished for being the first mass market EV whom everyone was learning from but while I do see improvements it feels like they are not pushing as hard as others. Nissan is in no place to compete on the high end IMHO. A Nissan GTR or Skyline maybe someday would be amusing but they have work to do and I'd rather have a car I can actually buy preferably under 40k.

Looks like about 12 new 2019’s left for sale in BC. Roughly 54 in Canada.

Harder to tell with the US. Using cars.com it shows maybe a 1000.

I’m wondering if the factory is not releasing 2020’s until the backlog is gone or lower. Do car companies do that?

There maybe some price cuts coming to clear out the 2019’s. No idea really.

They RAISED the price?!! Has everyone at Nissan gone mad?

If an EV based on an old economy car platform without the costs of active cooling, built in a nonunion plant, with battery cell costs at ~$150/kWh can’t be sold profitably for $30k something is very wrong.

This will be the final nail in the coffin for CHAdeMO in the US. In 2019, CCS is already outselling CHAdeMO ~38,000 units vs ~15,000 units. The 2021 model year adds the Ford Mach-E, Kia Soul EV, Mini Cooper EV, Mercedes EQC, Polestar 2, and Volvo XC40 to the CCS side while Leaf sales will almost certainly continue to contract. Why would any charging network bother to add more CHAdeMO at this point?

Nissan still has the lowest price BEV on the market even with the price increase of the S 40 kWh, and they are looking to the new buyer that might not be aware of previous prices. They are very serious about not selling at a loss and don't care about decreased volume for the current LEAF.

This is most probably in preparation for teeing up for the next generation of BEV on the new platform that will come in at a higher price.

Well the Leaf was dead in the water in 2019. An extra $1600 on the MSRP ought to turn things around. Absurd.

I can’t imagine dropping $40K on a Leaf instead of a Kona EV.

mtndrew1 said:

If an EV based on an old economy car platform without the costs of active cooling, built in a nonunion plant, with battery cell costs at ~$150/kWh can’t be sold profitably for $30k something is very wrong.

This will be the final nail in the coffin for CHAdeMO in the US. In 2019, CCS is already outselling CHAdeMO ~38,000 units vs ~15,000 units. The 2021 model year adds the Ford Mach-E, Kia Soul EV, Mini Cooper EV, Mercedes EQC, Polestar 2, and Volvo XC40 to the CCS side while Leaf sales will almost certainly continue to contract. Why would any charging network bother to add more CHAdeMO at this point?

Because every Tesla is Chademo compatible maybe. That will probably evolve as well.

webeleafowners said:
mtndrew1 said:

Because every Tesla is Chademo compatible maybe. That will probably evolve as well.

For $500 it can be, with a giant clunky adapter you have to carry everywhere.

I’ve done a lot of CHAdeMO charging on my other cars and I’ve been around an awful lot of Tesla drivers. I’ve never seen a Tesla using a CHAdeMO adapter and most Tesla drivers I know simply have no idea such an adapter exists.

In fact it looks like charging networks are going the opposite direction and adding native Tesla DC charging plugs to their stations and moving CHAdeMO off to the side (EVgo). EA has what, one CHAdeMO for every eight CCS?

CHAdeMO is near death in the US, Canada, Korea, and the EU. Nissan sure isn’t helping with their absurd Leaf pricing and low volumes.

mtndrew1 said:
webeleafowners said:
mtndrew1 said:

For $500 it can be, with a giant clunky adapter you have to carry everywhere.

I’ve done a lot of CHAdeMO charging on my other cars and I’ve been around an awful lot of Tesla drivers. I’ve never seen a Tesla using a CHAdeMO adapter and most Tesla drivers I know simply have no idea such an adapter exists.

In fact it looks like charging networks are going the opposite direction and adding native Tesla DC charging plugs to their stations and moving CHAdeMO off to the side (EVgo). EA has what, one CHAdeMO for every eight CCS?

CHAdeMO is near death in the US, Canada, Korea, and the EU. Nissan sure isn’t helping with their absurd Leaf pricing and low volumes.

Yah I suppose. Chademo is handy for Tesla owners in BC though. Chademo/CCS coverage is much more extensive than Supercharger coverage. Literally 10 to 1 for locations.

I agree though. I think Chademo’s days are numbered. We change out cars every 5 years or so. I would bet our next car will be CCS...or Tesla. :).

As it stands though all public chargers in BC need to be Chademo and CCS unless it’s at a dealership.

We have over 75 Tesla owners at work, and I think 1 owns a CHAdeMO adapter. But he's had it and his S since 2015, back when the adapter really added something.

Not saying Chademo is going to win, but the number of Chademo options is continuing to flourish in the Midwest. (In parallel with CCs).

Many Tesla’s using the stations as well. Plugshare shows that. Some of the Chademos still being free helps.

Don't forget the fee for the new sweet Canto sound.

I forgot that the Tesla 3 credit ran out end of year, and the Bolt runs out end of March, so this is Nissan staying in the same perceptual zone of cost difference.

If Kia and Hyundai could get their distribution up, I think even a 1000 units a month is going to be tough.

No new UDDS tests for the Leaf, so guessing there will be no change/improvement in range.

Sad, even if they just moved the door panel reccomended inflation to 44 PSI from 36 (as the tires support it), they would get a lift in range. Good optics. Both Bolt and M3 raised range this year.

I have tried my hardest to be a Leaf Fan, but...its getting hard.

That is an awesome price on the Bolt you saw and it even has thermal management of the battery. Does the bolt have any kind of adaptive cruise control yet? I found it a bit smaller than the Leaf, I needed the room for kid crap. Goodness though that price is great on that Bolt. I wonder if Leaf will drop their price when their incentives finally run out, will be very hard to compete otherwise.

salyavin said:
That is an awesome price on the Bolt you saw and it even has thermal management of the battery. Does the bolt have any kind of adaptive cruise control yet? I found it a bit smaller than the Leaf, I needed the room for kid crap. Goodness though that price is great on that Bolt. I wonder if Leaf will drop their price when their incentives finally run out, will be very hard to compete otherwise.

I think it still lacks adaptive cruise. I've also heard some do not find the seats comfortable.

What is odd is that technically the bolt has more legroom. Never been in one myself so I cant comment on space.

If I was in the market right this moment I'd certainly look at it but I think I'd still go after a kia niro ev. That's today. By the time I'm in the market who knows.

Back