Google navigation affected by Leaf electronics?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardony

I live in New Zealand and have a 2013 Gen 2 Leaf X imported used from Japan in 2018. While the instrument panel display has an English conversion the central display hasn't, so the GPS and associated functions remain Japanese and don't work in this country.

Consequently I've been trying to use the Google maps navigation feature on my smart 'phone, in particular the voice commands when following a route, but while the app. seems to function well enough the voice instructions stop working once the car is switched on to drive. I can set up the app. outside the car and the voice commands will be working, but once in the car and switched on the voice commands stop.

Considering that the manual has warnings that the Leaf's systems can affect electronic medical devices such as pacemakers, I can only presume that the app. is similarly affected. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a solution or a work-around? Or even any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Thanks,

What if you turn off Bluetooth on your phone or have the nav system forget your phone?

In Google Maps (at least on iOS) under Settings > Navigation there are settings for Play voice over Bluetooth and Play as Bluetooth phone call.

Many thanks for those suggestions. Since the hands-free facility is more important and used much more frequently than the navigation it's not really an option.

The 'phone is an Android device but I've checked the settings and "Play voice over Bluetooth" is already switched on. "Play as Bluetooth phone call" doesn't appear to be an option—there's only an option to keep the nav commands coming during a call.

Nonetheless your help is appreciated.

I'm looking at my Pixel 3 and its navigation settings have the toggles for "Play voice over Bluetooth", "Play voice during phone calls" and "play audio cues". There's also a Play test sound item (actually a button). What happens if you tap that while outside your car, inside your car and once your car's turned on?

What if you turn off Play voice over Bluetooth? Also, again, what if you turn off Bluetooth on your phone?

There are also probably other nav apps for Android besides Google Maps and Waze.

I am also a kiwi with a Japanese leaf. It took me a while to realize that I needed to switch to AUX input AND turn the volume way way up in order to hear Google maps voice commands.

Thanks chaps. Haven't had a chance to experiment yet, but will do so tomorrow. Was going to today, but then was running late and didn't have time to mess about. Will report back in due course. Appreciate your help.

Tried it this morning with Gmaps' Bluetooth set to OFF, and the voice directions came through perfectly.

Haven't yet tried the alternative method using BT and the car's audio, but in fact for my purposes just using the 'phone on its own is the more convenient alternative. Nonetheless, I now understand what's happening and have both methods when needed.

Many thanks to both—your help much appreciated.

Back