Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Per WetEV, one site is open, #7 for the month and #385 total: Kearney, NJ (Urb., I-280 ex. 17A/B).

It's currently listed as 3/0/1, but that's either an error or the CHAdeMO isn't yet working, and it will be re-listed as 2/1/1 eventually.

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
<snip>

Re small battery EVs, my take is that PHEVs will simply use (much cheaper-priced) L2. At the moment small battery BEVs are dead in the water, as most people want BEVs that can compete with ICEs for range, as long as they cost more than ICEs. I recognize that there's a problem with charger availability now, but the whole point of having a problem is that someone will see an opportunity to fix it and make a profit. If there is simply no profitable business case that can be made for QC equal or cheaper than gas, then BEVs will never expand beyond a tiny niche (barring government mandates). That's more likely a problem in the U.S. with our low fuel taxes than in say Europe, where they can adjust taxes to suit.

The problem with a forward looking view is getting run over by existing EVs already on the streets.

But how many of them have CHAdeMO? After all, you're on your 5th LEAF. Granted, one was totaled, but you've still gone through 3 by yourself to get to this point, and what is the utility of the older ones? How many are still on the road, and is anyone crazy enough to use them for road trips?

DCs only used for road trips?
Too old, too slow, too limited?

You sound like you drive a gasser...

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
The problem with a forward looking view is getting run over by existing EVs already on the streets.

But how many of them have CHAdeMO? After all, you're on your 5th LEAF. Granted, one was totaled, but you've still gone through 3 by yourself to get to this point, and what is the utility of the older ones? How many are still on the road, and is anyone crazy enough to use them for road trips?

DCs only used for road trips?
Too old, too slow, too limited?

Until BEVs meet my needs for road trips, of course.

Per Wet EV, one site is open, #8 for the month and #386 total: Valley Stream, NY (Urb., S.R. 27 @ Green Acres Rd. E/W). Help, the Green Acres theme song is playing in my head, and I can't stop it! :(

Kearny, NJ's listing has been corrected to 2/1/1. Now if they could just correct the spelling of the town's name (EA has it "Kearney"). I'll mention it to them.

GRA said:
Nah, liquid fossil-fueled ICEs will be around for a lot longer than it will take for BEVs to achieve comparable to ICE performance/cost, unless gas/diesel are banned prior to that.

BEVs are comparable to ICE performance/cost for some users. Just not for you, and not quite for the median driver. The median driver is likely to find BEVs equal to ICE performance long before you do.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Until BEVs meet my needs for road trips, of course.
Probably before then.

Can't buy gasoline anymore would be my guess.

Agreed. BEV's REQUIRE a change in expectations, attitudes and processes.

Some accept that, some don't. The upside which is huge makes that an easy decision for me. But there are others who will simply do what they know as long as they can find ONE thing to complain about.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Nah, liquid fossil-fueled ICEs will be around for a lot longer than it will take for BEVs to achieve comparable to ICE performance/cost, unless gas/diesel are banned prior to that.

BEVs are comparable to ICE performance/cost for some users. Just not for you, and not quite for the median driver. The median driver is likely to find BEVs equal to ICE performance long before you do.

As long as they insist on the car's ability to take road trips, they won't, regardless of how infrequently they use that capability.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

As long as they insist on the car's ability to take road trips, they won't, regardless of how infrequently they use that capability.
Not every road trip is a GRA road trip Also, BEV commute time and bother savings will balance some of the difference.

Driver's needs are a distribution, not a single value. Remember my neighbors in Massachusetts? Their longest road trip ever was to
Springfield. That's Springfield MA, just to clarify. With a 60kWh LEAF, they could probably do that road trip on home charging only. L2 at the hotel would make it very robust. While they are not the median driver, you are not the median driver as well.

Driver's wants and needs cover a distribution. To get 4% of sales, you need to be a better choice for 1 in 25 people.

GRA said:
One site is open, #9 for the month and #387 total: San Diego #3 (Urb., I-15 ex. 8). This is the Murphy Canyon QC site johnlocke has been monitoring.
The CCS chargers are open but not the combined Chadeno/CCS station. Took a much closer look at the CCS stations. There are two cables on each station labeled 1 and 2. They are very short, maybe 8-10 ft. Rated at 150KW for each. You would need to pull in such that the charging port is next to the station. The 240VAC station is open as well. I can only guess that one cable is for cars with the charge port on the left while the other is for cars with charge port on the right. I doubt that either cable is long enough to reach across the car.

The combined station is next to the garden dept. The station is located half way down the parking space with a 4 ft wide no parking area between the station and the EV charging space and faces parallel to the parking space. both the CCS and Chademo cables are short also. If I pull in next to the station as indicated by the parking stripes, the Chadamo cable is too short to plug in to the charge port. In order to use the Chademo cable I'd have to pull in right next to the station and about half way into the parking space with my tail in the traffic lane. If they had put the station in front of the parking space it would have worked much better. It might work for a car with the charge port on the fender depending on which way they pull into the stall

I'll keep monitoring the station to see when the Chademo charger becomes operational. Looking at their pricing schedule, it looks to me that the EVGO station down the road is about the same cost except that EVGO gives me some charge time for my subscription fee where EA doesn't.

^^^
News Coloumb, a Bolt driver (and somewhat of a Bolt fanboy) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqgqWqKmdkIuBZa7JK5KSw often does California DC FC site reviews. He has touched upon the shortness of cables at some DC FC sites (not necessarily EA specific) and sometimes poor angling. I wish I could find the video where he had to basically park over the angled parking space lines to get the cable to reach the Bolt's inlet since the chargers were not angled.

As I've mentioned in Bolt posts, after having driven Leaf for over 6 years (and still driving it usually 3 days/week) and now having a Bolt, to me, the center nose position is still the best place for an inlet. The driver's side fender position is clearly inferior for a lot of public and workplace charging. About the only good argument I've heard for not having it in the nose (the front end damage one to me is BS) is that in snowy/icy environments, the snow/ice buildup in the front after driving can be an issue. If I had that problem, I guess I'd bring along a thermos of warm water.

johnlocke said:
GRA said:
One site is open, #9 for the month and #387 total: San Diego #3 (Urb., I-15 ex. 8). This is the Murphy Canyon QC site johnlocke has been monitoring.
The CCS chargers are open but not the combined Chadeno/CCS station. Took a much closer look at the CCS stations. There are two cables on each station labeled 1 and 2. They are very short, maybe 8-10 ft. Rated at 150KW for each. You would need to pull in such that the charging port is next to the station. The 240VAC station is open as well. I can only guess that one cable is for cars with the charge port on the left while the other is for cars with charge port on the right. I doubt that either cable is long enough to reach across the car.

The combined station is next to the garden dept. The station is located half way down the parking space with a 4 ft wide no parking area between the station and the EV charging space and faces parallel to the parking space. both the CCS and Chademo cables are short also. If I pull in next to the station as indicated by the parking stripes, the Chadamo cable is too short to plug in to the charge port. In order to use the Chademo cable I'd have to pull in right next to the station and about half way into the parking space with my tail in the traffic lane. If they had put the station in front of the parking space it would have worked much better. It might work for a car with the charge port on the fender depending on which way they pull into the stall

I'll keep monitoring the station to see when the Chademo charger becomes operational. Looking at their pricing schedule, it looks to me that the EVGO station down the road is about the same cost except that EVGO gives me some charge time for my subscription fee where EA doesn't.

Ok sounds like you have a typical station. There was talk about queuing at EA and I could barely contain my composure. None of the dozen EA stations I have seen have

**any extra parking spaces

**cables long enough to reach adjacent spaces

**On nose in parking; Cables barely reach ports located on sides of cars.

**On drive in parking; Some have to back into the space, while others cannot align properly in order for cable to reach

**Many Bolters are having to hold the cable in place to insure sufficient contact to initiate charging session

Your pricing comment is a bit of a surprise so wondering about the details of EVgo pricing and EA pricing because EVgo is significantly more money here because

** Higher per minute fees 25 cents during daylight, 22 cents at night verses 18 cents for EA

** Whole minute billing rounded UP ALL the time which means at charge "timed" at 12:00 is billed for 13 minutes verses EA which prorates by the second.

** Added time to charge for handshake, disconnect, etc. Roughly 20-30 seconds added to billed time from machine time. FYI; machine time is nearly identical to LEAF Spy timing on the charge

But your situation also illustrates the issue for chademo based cars. I am happy to say I am seeing MUCH less CCS cars using the combo station. Thank you for that. But its still a one plug station and for the extra dime, I will gladly move on to the next station up the road (likely a EVgo multi combo station) where queues are shorter and availability of a plug is higher.

cwerdna said:
As I've mentioned in Bolt posts, after having driven Leaf for over 6 years (and still driving it usually 3 days/week) and now having a Bolt, to me, the center nose position is still the best place for an inlet. The driver's side fender position is clearly inferior for a lot of public and workplace charging. About the only good argument I've heard for not having it in the nose (the front end damage one to me is BS) is that in snowy/icy environments, the snow/ice buildup in the front after driving can be an issue. If I had that problem, I guess I'd bring along a thermos of warm water.

Having driven a 2012 Leaf and now a 2017 Bolt, I agree whole-heartedly.

As for your thermos idea, picture this. You go skiing. You leave with a full charge, and drive straight to the mountain. While skiing, the car sits in the lot, cold-soaking for 8 hours in sub-zero temperatures. After skiing, you need to hit a DCFC on your way home (I almost could have used one last night, but I made it home with 10% remaining thanks to snow plows forcing me to drive 30 MPH on the highway). Anyway - that thermos you brought alone will be frozen solid right when you use it. If this is a recurring issue, then a better solution is an integrated heater. Many cars have heated side mirrors - why not a heated charge port door?

Back