Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, you're welcome. Should be able to buy it or something like it at any Grand Auto/Kragen/Pep Boys if not Sears/J.C. Penneys etc., although it could be you have to go to a store closer to the snow line to find it. I can't remember where I bought my current can, which I've probably had for 20+ years now. I tend to cherry pick my trips a lot more than I used to, and one of the reasons I tend to go to Yosemite instead of Tahoe these days is that it's usually 10-20 degrees warmer, so I haven't had to use it in quite a while.

DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:
GRA said:
One site is open, #9 for the month and #387 total: San Diego #3 (Urb., I-15 ex. 8). This is the Murphy Canyon QC site johnlocke has been monitoring.
The CCS chargers are open but not the combined Chadeno/CCS station. Took a much closer look at the CCS stations. There are two cables on each station labeled 1 and 2. They are very short, maybe 8-10 ft. Rated at 150KW for each. You would need to pull in such that the charging port is next to the station. The 240VAC station is open as well. I can only guess that one cable is for cars with the charge port on the left while the other is for cars with charge port on the right. I doubt that either cable is long enough to reach across the car.

The combined station is next to the garden dept. The station is located half way down the parking space with a 4 ft wide no parking area between the station and the EV charging space and faces parallel to the parking space. both the CCS and Chademo cables are short also. If I pull in next to the station as indicated by the parking stripes, the Chadamo cable is too short to plug in to the charge port. In order to use the Chademo cable I'd have to pull in right next to the station and about half way into the parking space with my tail in the traffic lane. If they had put the station in front of the parking space it would have worked much better. It might work for a car with the charge port on the fender depending on which way they pull into the stall

I'll keep monitoring the station to see when the Chademo charger becomes operational. Looking at their pricing schedule, it looks to me that the EVGO station down the road is about the same cost except that EVGO gives me some charge time for my subscription fee where EA doesn't.

Ok sounds like you have a typical station. There was talk about queuing at EA and I could barely contain my composure. None of the dozen EA stations I have seen have

**any extra parking spaces

**cables long enough to reach adjacent spaces

**On nose in parking; Cables barely reach ports located on sides of cars.

**On drive in parking; Some have to back into the space, while others cannot align properly in order for cable to reach

**Many Bolters are having to hold the cable in place to insure sufficient contact to initiate charging session

Your pricing comment is a bit of a surprise so wondering about the details of EVgo pricing and EA pricing because EVgo is significantly more money here because

** Higher per minute fees 25 cents during daylight, 22 cents at night verses 18 cents for EA

** Whole minute billing rounded UP ALL the time which means at charge "timed" at 12:00 is billed for 13 minutes verses EA which prorates by the second.

** Added time to charge for handshake, disconnect, etc. Roughly 20-30 seconds added to billed time from machine time. FYI; machine time is nearly identical to LEAF Spy timing on the charge

But your situation also illustrates the issue for chademo based cars. I am happy to say I am seeing MUCH less CCS cars using the combo station. Thank you for that. But its still a one plug station and for the extra dime, I will gladly move on to the next station up the road (likely a EVgo multi combo station) where queues are shorter and availability of a plug is higher.
I checked the pricing for California only, figuring a 20 min charge session. For shorter sessions EVGO comes out ahead since there's no session charge.

johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:
The CCS chargers are open but not the combined Chadeno/CCS station. Took a much closer look at the CCS stations. There are two cables on each station labeled 1 and 2. They are very short, maybe 8-10 ft. Rated at 150KW for each. You would need to pull in such that the charging port is next to the station. The 240VAC station is open as well. I can only guess that one cable is for cars with the charge port on the left while the other is for cars with charge port on the right. I doubt that either cable is long enough to reach across the car.

The combined station is next to the garden dept. The station is located half way down the parking space with a 4 ft wide no parking area between the station and the EV charging space and faces parallel to the parking space. both the CCS and Chademo cables are short also. If I pull in next to the station as indicated by the parking stripes, the Chadamo cable is too short to plug in to the charge port. In order to use the Chademo cable I'd have to pull in right next to the station and about half way into the parking space with my tail in the traffic lane. If they had put the station in front of the parking space it would have worked much better. It might work for a car with the charge port on the fender depending on which way they pull into the stall

I'll keep monitoring the station to see when the Chademo charger becomes operational. Looking at their pricing schedule, it looks to me that the EVGO station down the road is about the same cost except that EVGO gives me some charge time for my subscription fee where EA doesn't.

Ok sounds like you have a typical station. There was talk about queuing at EA and I could barely contain my composure. None of the dozen EA stations I have seen have

**any extra parking spaces

**cables long enough to reach adjacent spaces

**On nose in parking; Cables barely reach ports located on sides of cars.

**On drive in parking; Some have to back into the space, while others cannot align properly in order for cable to reach

**Many Bolters are having to hold the cable in place to insure sufficient contact to initiate charging session

Your pricing comment is a bit of a surprise so wondering about the details of EVgo pricing and EA pricing because EVgo is significantly more money here because

** Higher per minute fees 25 cents during daylight, 22 cents at night verses 18 cents for EA

** Whole minute billing rounded UP ALL the time which means at charge "timed" at 12:00 is billed for 13 minutes verses EA which prorates by the second.

** Added time to charge for handshake, disconnect, etc. Roughly 20-30 seconds added to billed time from machine time. FYI; machine time is nearly identical to LEAF Spy timing on the charge

But your situation also illustrates the issue for chademo based cars. I am happy to say I am seeing MUCH less CCS cars using the combo station. Thank you for that. But its still a one plug station and for the extra dime, I will gladly move on to the next station up the road (likely a EVgo multi combo station) where queues are shorter and availability of a plug is higher.
I checked the pricing for California only, figuring a 20 min charge session. For shorter sessions EVGO comes out ahead since there's no session charge.

Looking at best price options only. For one time, infrequent uses, I don't care. A plug is better than walking any day no matter what the cost.

smkettner said:
I used an EA L2 charger last night for a couple hours at The City shopping center. Easy and reasonable transaction.
Just glad to have a parking space actually ;)
Ok seems odd that the hold on my VISA is a full $50. I have good faith the $4 will post correctly however if I had a debit card it might seem a bit excessive.

danrjones said:
WetEV said:
1385 CA-58 BUS
Mojave, CA 93501

Woo Hoo!

I'll have to stop by there and check sometime.

Please do Dan. This is an important station for a lot of us. And it is indeed Woo Hoo! Maybe Coso Junction is finally on tap and the East Side will be open!

EA has had lots of problems with new stations so we need some drivers to test it as soon as possible.

Paul

Per WetEV, one site is open, #11 for the month and #389 total: Mojave, CA (S.R.14/Bus. S.R. 58).

This is on the south side of the airport (a good place to look at mothballed jets), and it's convenient for those traveling 14 N-S. It's a bit off track for those traveling 58 E-W, but it does at least loop back to 58 at both ends. It's 174 miles from this site to Von's in Bishop, so the leg's possible if not yet really practical.

GRA said:
Per WetEV, one site is open, #11 for the month and #389 total: Mojave, CA (S.R.14/Bus. S.R. 58).

This is on the south side of the airport (a good place to look at mothballed jets), and it's convenient for those traveling 14 N-S. It's a bit off track for those traveling 58 E-W, but it does at least loop back to 58 at both ends. It's 174 miles from this site to Von's in Bishop, so the leg's possible if not yet really practical.

If anyone is ever looking for it, it is in the comfort inn parking lot EAST side all the way in the back.

One site is open, #12 for the month and #390 total: Baker, CA (I-15 ex. 246).

Although EVgo has had a 350kW charging site in Baker for almost a year now IIRR, this does make an all-EA trip from LA to Vegas possible, as it's 103 miles from the EA site in Hesperia to Baker, and 85 to Vegas. Even Mojave is practical at 132 miles. If you want to push it you can even do LA to Baker non-stop, at around 180 miles.

All this action going on in California. Is EA not building out the rest of the states at the moment, or is it simply that noone is tracking it?

I know the current cycle goes through December 2021, but I'm really hoping they get some of their regional highway routes covered sooner than that. Maybe this spring when things thaw out, the northeast routes will start to see some action.

GetOffYourGas said:
All this action going on in California. Is EA not building out the rest of the states at the moment, or is it simply that noone is tracking it?

I know the current cycle goes through December 2021, but I'm really hoping they get some of their regional highway routes covered sooner than that. Maybe this spring when things thaw out, the northeast routes will start to see some action.

Boston to Washington DC has 10 coming soon locations, nothing upstate.

WetEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Boston to Washington DC has 10 coming soon locations, nothing upstate.

While not useful to me personally, the I-95 corridor from Boston to DC (and lately farther, into the Carolinas) is incredibly important. So I'm happy to see them focus on that.

That said, there were a number of corridors in the northeast which do affect me and my family, such as Boston-to-Montreal, NYC-to-Hartford, and Syracuse-to-Philly. I have some family members on the fence about going EV. I think opening these routes soon could help to sway them.

Outside of California there are only 18 sites "Coming Soon" (the aforementioned 10 in the DC to Boston corridor, 1 in AZ, 4 in OR, 3 in WA); the other 58 sites are all in California. This is due to two factors: California gets 40% of EA's total spend in each cycle, and we got started late owing to permitting issues, so we're playing catch-up.

Depending on how you count them, only about 12-15 of the remaining "Coming Soon" sites in California serve national or regional routes, with the rest being primarily for urban use.

Where EA continues to lag for Cycle 1 is in completing transcontinental routes, I-10/40/70/80.

I used an Electrify America station for the first time today in Frisco, Colorado. The station said the Chademo port was up to 50kw but it gave me 77kw at times and 74kw (the plus can take up to 100kw). I suspect their stations are actually 75kw on their Chademo ports rather than 50kw like the sign says. It was -1C outside (maybe 30F) no significant heat rising of the battery and no cold gating either (probably due to highway driving). Have any of you other Leaf Plus users had a similar experience on Electrify America getting around 75kw?

Nice!
My record is 76kW on an EA charger. On the bottom half of the charge, that speed is very nice.

On the Dash I charred at:
75 to about 19%
67kWh at 35%
65kw at 40%
60 kWh at 43%
58 kW at 45%
56kW at 48%
55kW at 50%

So staying above 50kW until 60% SOC on LS

I am looking for someone who has seen the car break 80. I haven’t found it yet.

Back