Nissan Leaf Service at 30k miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shop2order

My Nissan Leaf 2017 is just completing 3 years of use clocking 30k miles - no noticeable issues so far. I got annual battery test done the last 2 years for free at Nissan dealership. But, I was wondering if I need more service at this time, perhaps tire rotation, battery check, brake inspection (replacement if needed), brake fluids check etc.

Could you recommend what services I should get done at this time? Also, what is the expected cost. Do I have to necessarily go to Nissan dealership for this?

Three years is a good interval for the brake fluid flush they want done every two years. Likewise the cabin filter replacement. Anyone can do the services (except battery test) as long as they are documented.

Tire rotation, cabin filter, wiper blades is all you need. Everything else is just a waste of time and money. My 6 bar 2011 has original everything. I have done nothing to it. Battery issues are pretty bad and Nissan is a $hit company for putting such a crap battery in this otherwise maintenance free vehicle.

downeykp said:
Tire rotation, cabin filter, wiper blades is all you need. Everything else is just a waste of time and money. My 6 bar 2011 has original everything. I have done nothing to it. Battery issues are pretty bad and Nissan is a $hit company for putting such a crap battery in this otherwise maintenance free vehicle.
Never take risks with new technology if you require perfection.

If you plan to keep your LEAF for a long time, consider changing the reduction gear/differential oil at 30,000 miles in addition to the items others have already mentioned. The gear case holds less than 2 quarts so the cost is minimal.

GerryAZ said:
If you plan to keep your LEAF for a long time, consider changing the reduction gear/differential oil at 30,000 miles in addition to the items others have already mentioned. The gear case holds less than 2 quarts so the cost is minimal.

Agreed, even though they say the differential fluid is for "lifetime", it is easy to replace every 30K miles. The toughest part of the job is to remove the nice foam protective pad under the car...

The only thing I would add would be to check the 12v battery, and re-grease the hood release mechanism. Since you do not have to do maintenance, the latch can become stuck from lack of use.... It happened to me!! Once I could not open the hood..

PS - Don't worry about the brakes.... I understand that they can last 100K miles.

Speaking of hoods, is there an after-market hood that is not so heavy? My other cars are Miata (aluminum hood) and Insight (aluminum hood), and I thought I was going to get a hernia when I opened the Leaf hood in the dealer showroom. It's probably the easiest panel to make of aluminum; even the MGB had an aluminum hood. What is Nissan's excuse???

The hood strut should supply much of the force required to lift the hood. On just about any car, lifting the hood or rear hatch, etc without the strut(s) can be tough. Maybe Nissan just spec'd the wrong strut or maybe that one wasn't working correctly.

Dougie said:
Speaking of hoods, is there an after-market hood that is not so heavy? My other cars are Miata (aluminum hood) and Insight (aluminum hood), and I thought I was going to get a hernia when I opened the Leaf hood in the dealer showroom. It's probably the easiest panel to make of aluminum; even the MGB had an aluminum hood. What is Nissan's excuse???

IIRC, the 2011-2012 Japan-built Leafs have aluminum hoods, along with a few other Aluminum body panels. I'm not 100% sure that hoods are one of them, though.

Dougie said:

I imagine their "excuse" was cost-savings. My 2012 LEAF had an Aluminum hood; it was much lighter. I seem to recall they managed to save weight elsewhere.

The only thing I would add would be to check the 12v battery, and re-grease the hood release mechanism. Since you do not have to do maintenance, the latch can become stuck from lack of use.... It happened to me!! Once I could not open the hood..

I have this issue currently. not sure what happened but the cable moves freely and does not unlock or release the hood. I have tried everything.

Back