What size Breaker at the Box should i use for a Plus Model Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Unit i Bought on E bay came from a Leaf owner In Florida That had an early ModelLeaf
Who had a 2 year lease turned in the car and had the Charger in the garage
I paid $100.00 For It I figured out how to hook it up from An Electrican Buddy
And irs Been Mounted Outside for 5 Years I live in the Woods with 4 Houses On My street
You can't even see the charger i have it well hidden with a cover i made for it
It is a well made Charger and never gave me a problem i will just keep using it
so it takes longer to charge the Plus i just have to get use to that i have only
Had the car 3 weeks so there is an adjustment period i will say have the extra mileage
on the plus is the way to go over the Regular leaf and now you can get great deals on 2019 models
whats left over of them i was lucky on mine it was a fresh car made in November 2019 all good

You might want to read the manual before you spend the money on a GFI 2 pole 50 amp breaker.
Newer evse have built in and GFIs don't like to be cascaded.

Oilpan4 said:
You might want to read the manual before you spend the money on a GFI 2 pole 50 amp breaker.

Is there a manual for the new Nissan EVSE? I don't see anything about GFCIs in the online owner's manual. My concern is not having a ground fault interrupter on a 240 volt circuit where the outlet is in a garage where the floor might be wet. My electrician is planning to put one it, and I believe it is required by code for garage outlets anyway.

Codes vary but most don't require GFCI on normal 240V circuits, AFAIK. Maybe Wayne will chime in.

Still, it's not a bad idea and worst case, you will be out the cost of the breaker if it causes trouble.

EDIT: It seems like the 2017 NEC requires GFCI on many more circuits than previous codes, so you might be right that a 240V circuit in a garage requires GFCI, at least if your local jurisdiction is following the 2017 code. Best to ask the local inspector or just go ahead and put in a GFCI breaker. The only way I could see any problem with having multiple GFCI's in series would be the 'self-testing' part of them and unless the EVSE does that, it shouldn't be an issue. Another option would be to hard-wire the EVSE in which case I don't think GFCI will be required.

Dougie said:
Oilpan4 said:

Is there a manual for the new Nissan EVSE? I don't see anything about GFCIs in the online owner's manual. My concern is not having a ground fault interrupter on a 240 volt circuit where the outlet is in a garage where the floor might be wet. My electrician is planning to put one it, and I believe it is required by code for garage outlets anyway.

A 50 amp GFCI costs about $100 CS $10 fir a standard double pole breaker.

Read EVSE manufacturer installation instructions before purchasing an expensive GFCI breaker. Some EVSE's such as the AeroVironment are not compatible with GFCI breakers because they verify grounding integrity by injecting a small current to ground. That current may be high enough to trip a GFCI breaker.

Dougie said:
Oilpan4 said:

GFIC are required for 120v branch circuits and things like welding circuits.
If the evse has a gfic built in why use a gfic breaker?
Better figure it out.
Electricians don't give refunds.

Oilpan4 said:
Dougie said:
Oilpan4 said:

Better figure it out.

The EVSE protects downstream of the box, but not upstream. Someone would still be vulnerable if making contact while unplugging from the wall socket for example.

Nubo said:
Oilpan4 said:
Dougie said:

Better figure it out.

The EVSE protects downstream of the box, but not upstream. Someone would still be vulnerable if making contact while unplugging from the wall socket for example.

That's not how it works.
Gfic doesn't automatically stupid proof everything.
If some one is dumb enough to fry them selves plugging or unplugging the evse and contact is made line to line or line to neutral with out any current leaking to ground the gfic won't trip.
That's assuming the gfic in the breaker box will even work with the gfic in the evse.

GFCI doesn't stupid proof everything but it should trip the breaker if the sum of the currents through it is not zero. The only way I could see a 240V GFCI not tripping during a ground fault would be if both legs had nearly the exactly same current going through their ground fault path. The current threshold to trip them is quite low so the chances of both hot legs' ground fault current being that close should be fairly low.

There is some good explanation here: https://www.westernautomation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/GFCIs_For_AC_DC_Systems.pdf

One could make a case for using GFCI on every circuit although the chances of receiving a fatal shock must only be high enough to justify the added expense under certain conditions (concrete floor, near water, etc).

I can say that I have successfully charged a 2011 Leaf multiple times using a 2018 Nissan EVSE plugged into a 14-50R outlet on a dedicated 50a circuit protected by a 50a GFCI breaker without the breaker tripping even once. I believe most outlets will allow you to return a GFCI breaker within a reasonable time span especially if the GFCI feature results in nuisance trips. So from this experience I would recommend a 50a GFCI breaker be used on a dedicated 50a circuit for this plug-in EVSE.

Back