Thanks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfcart

I have decided to sell my Leaf. After 4.5 years and 65000 miles of problem free driving (between my 2015 and 2018) I am moving on to something a little sportier now that I'm finally done paying for daycare :). Thanks to everyone on the forum that has helped me out over the years, this place has a nice community feel and was a great source of information for me when I was new to EVs.

Oilpan4 said:
Sell it on here I'm sure you will get a lot more for it than a dealer trade.

I have a private sale at a good price set up already. With dealers selling CPO 40KWh SLs with less than 10k miles for $23k in Virginia I could only hope for so much.

You can tell us if you moved to Tesla.
It’s a great car, just too fast for me.

I got my first ticket in 20+ years last month in my Plus. Even in ECO i wish I could tune down the power even more.

DougWantsALeaf said:

I got my first ticket in 20+ years last month in my Plus. Even in ECO i wish I could tune down the power even more.

How much more distance could ALL EVs get if they were de-tuned to less than go-cart response/acceleration? Tesla?

I'll still be in an EV... and yes it is a used Model 3. My car before the leaf was a tuned WRX and I really missed the performance. I could finally afford to have the best of both worlds so I jumped on it. The family and I will miss the Leaf, it was a great car.

gncndad said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

How much more distance could ALL EVs get if they were de-tuned to less than go-cart response/acceleration? Tesla?
Tesla has chill mode if you find the instant acceleration too much.

(one of the features added to the car via an OTA after I bought it)

Tell us about your model e, which one did you get, what kind of shape is it in and how much did it cost?

[/quote]
Tesla has chill mode if you find the instant acceleration too much.

(one of the features added to the car via an OTA after I bought it)
[/quote]

Is the estimated distance based on the "chill mode""?

DougWantsALeaf said:
We do have Tesla threads on this forum if you want to stay active here.

Enjoy the Tesla. Drop a note in a couple months to compare the experience.

I can tell you my initial impression of the differences right now as I have been driving it for a week already.

I purchased a 2018 model 3 on the used market with premium interior and dual motor.

• The Leaf is easier to get in and out of and has a more comfortable seat in my opinion.
  • The Leaf has more intuitive controls in my opinion. I have to look away from the road more in the Tesla, though the ever increasing voice command options in the Tesla are narrowing that gap quickly.
  • The Leaf is more efficient to drive in the winter (3.7 mi/KWh vs 3.3 mi/kWh) though part of that may be my tendency to floor it at every stoplight and on-ramp in the Tesla.
  • The Leaf has a heated steering wheel which I really miss.
  • The Leaf has a blind spot warning on the side mirror which I think is superior to Tesla rendering cars next to you on the screen. The mirror always stands out in my peripheral vision while the screen rendering does not.
  • Charging at home is basically the same for both cars. I have a RV box with a 14-50 outlet on the side of my house and both cars could easily charge overnight.
  • ProPilot and AutoPilot are pretty similar. Both will keep you in your lane fairly well. Both use adaptive cruise. The Tesla lets you keep your hands off the wheel for longer but otherwise I'd call it a wash.
  • The Tesla is almost scary fast! I absolutely love that aspect of it and it was the main reason for making a change.
  • The Tesla supercharging network is great. I bought the car 500 miles from home and drove it back in one day. I had to stop 3 times to charge and did so at a rate of 100-150kW each time. That same trip would have taken me an additional 2 hours in the Leaf assuming there were functional chademo chargers appropriately spaced along the way. In reality, the same trip in the Leaf would probably have taken 2 days to complete.
  • The Tesla has spotify and netflix built in which is really nice. I lucked out into a car that has unlimited lifetime premium connectivity so I can use those features for free as long as I own the car (and maintain my accounts with those companies).
  • The integrated NAV and routing on the Tesla is awesome. When I drove the car home it told me what superchargers to stop and and how long to charge at each. It really made the trip easy to do for an EV.
  • The glass roof on the Tesla is really nice, it provides a great view and more headroom. I am 6' 1" and built like a T-Rex so head room is important. :D

For me it is mostly about the faster acceleration and sporty suspension. The Tesla feels like an electric M3 while the Leaf feels like an electric Sentra. Plus I think the Tesla will hold its value better in the long run. But the Leaf is still a great car and if there was a NISMO version I'd probably been fine with that too.

golfcart said:
[*]The Leaf has a heated steering wheel which I really miss.
[*]The Leaf has a blind spot warning on the side mirror which I think is superior to Tesla rendering cars next to you on the screen. The mirror always stands out in my peripheral vision while the screen rendering does not.
These are two places where the Model 3 is different from the Model S/X. I really hope the suspected upcoming interior refresh on the S/X doesn't lose the extra display directly in front of the driver.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Thanks for the review. That was great detail.

How do you like the storage between the cars?

They’re different. The Leaf being a hatchback is obviously nice but the Tesla has the Frunk and a huge cubby underneath the floor in the trunk that fits the evse and other things I keep in the car. Plus the Tesla has a lot more usable space in the center console than the Leaf.

I think both are adequate. I just need to carry the evse and my golf clubs regularly and both cars handle that without issue.

golfcart said:
I'll still be in an EV... and yes it is a used Model 3. My car before the leaf was a tuned WRX and I really missed the performance. I could finally afford to have the best of both worlds so I jumped on it. The family and I will miss the Leaf, it was a great car.

Good choice. Details on car and what did you pay?

gncndad said:

Agree... it's all good fun that we can beat almost any ICE car at the light, but just imagine what streets are going to be like with 50% of vehicles being electric? I love the tesla batteries, but I don't want a sportscar (or a luxury car, or a car that drives itself). If I could get a Kia Niro EV with a 100kwhr tesla battery, ability to tow 2000 lbs, and the acceleration of a Honda Fit, I'd be happy.

specialgreen said:
gncndad said:

Agree... it's all good fun that we can beat almost any ICE car at the light, but just imagine what streets are going to be like with 50% of vehicles being electric? I love the tesla batteries, but I don't want a sportscar (or a luxury car, or a car that drives itself). If I could get a Kia Niro EV with a 100kwhr tesla battery, ability to tow 2000 lbs, and the acceleration of a Honda Fit, I'd be happy.

So don't floor it... it is really as simple as that. There is nothing requiring y'all to mash the pedal every time a light turns green and the motor is extremely efficient so you'll get awesome range if you choose not to drive with a heavy foot. I like mashing the pedal off a stoplight a couple of times a day, it is fun. :D

Maybe Tesla will come out with their version of a Toyota Corolla or Ford Focus someday, until then you make due with the options that are available and pick the ones that meets your needs.

Back