Greta Thunberg speech at U.N.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah kids being scared into "needing strong physiologic drugs" because they are being terrified by climate propaganda that specifically target them, I would want that deleted too.

DanCar said:
Amusing. Misleading. True for arid places. When moist rainforests (past carbon loss dominated by decay) burn, that is not due to past fire suppression. Because there never were any past fires to suppress.

Here we are again.... The Greta Show...

All she is - is a 17 year old child that has gotten a hold of a microphone. What is her platform? I am ANGRY...

Well, just like my 3 adult children (who I love), I don't listen to angry children.

And this one.... I do not love.. An she (or her handlers) thinks she is beyond criticism because she is a "child". Now she is almost 18, and is an unfortunate public figure who CAN be criticized. Even if her ideas had some merit, they would not be for her to shout out, but more respected, mature leaders in their field of expertise.....

How dare she get so much publicity that the media actually asked the American President what HE thought of her ideas.

Yup, I saw the news is bringing out the Greta Show again.. "I do not want NET ZERO, but ABSOLUTE ZERO."

Yes, she wants to shut down the world..

LeftieBiker said:
In completely unrelated news, the Doomsday Clock is now the closest to Midnight that it has ever been...

Lefty... I am not trying to argue with you .... But...

I thought that you were a well-rounded individual that is intelligent enough to not jump to the ticking of a "DOOMSDAY CLOCK"...

The earth is Billions of years old... It will be alive for another Billion years...

Do you actually think that driving to work will destroy the earth?

Or even more unbelievable.. That we can make global changes (reversals of climate) by banning plastic straws and legislating changes in Global human behavior?

I'm just throwing these questions out there.

Doomsday Clock
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation
Jump to search
This article is about the symbol of global catastrophe. For the Smashing Pumpkins song, see Doomsday Clock (song). For the comic series, see Doomsday Clock (comics).
"Minutes to Midnight" redirects here. For other uses, see Minutes to Midnight (disambiguation).
The Doomsday Clock pictured at a setting of "100 seconds to midnight"

The Doomsday Clock is a symbol that represents the likelihood of a man-made global catastrophe. Maintained since 1947 by the members of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists,[1] the Clock is a metaphor for threats to humanity from unchecked scientific and technical advances. The Clock represents the hypothetical global catastrophe as "midnight" and the Bulletin's opinion on how close the world is to a global catastrophe as a number of "minutes" to midnight, assessed in January of each year. The main factors influencing the Clock are nuclear risk and climate change.[2] The Bulletin's Science and Security Board also monitors new developments in the life sciences and technology that could inflict irrevocable harm to humanity.[3]

The Clock's original setting in 1947 was seven minutes to midnight. It has been set backward and forward 23 times since then, the largest-ever number of minutes to midnight being 17 (in 1991), and the smallest 100 seconds (1 minute and 40 seconds) in January 2020.

The clock was set at two minutes to midnight in January 2018, and left unchanged in 2019 due to the twin threats of nuclear weapons and climate change.[4] On 23 January 2020, it was moved forward to 100 seconds (1 minute 40 seconds) before midnight, based on the increased threats to global stability posed by "a nuclear blunder", exacerbated by the rate of climate change.[5]

Where does this mention literally destroying the planet?

Don't worry about the planet. The earth will be around until it gets hit by an asteroid/meteorite or the sun expands to vaporize it. Human civilization as we know it is what is in peril, not the planet itself. Even full scale nuclear winter will probably have less impact on 'life on earth' than the last meteorite strike that wiped out the dinosaurs (who were in existence for 100's of millions of years).

goldbrick said:
Don't worry about the planet. The earth will be around until it gets hit by an asteroid/meteorite or the sun expands to vaporize it. Human civilization as we know it is what is in peril, not the planet itself. Even full scale nuclear winter will probably have less impact on 'life on earth' than the last meteorite strike that wiped out the dinosaurs (who were in existence for 100's of millions of years).

Oh Boy! Now we are talking about Nuclear winter and dead dinos...

Look, how about we agree that Humans will survive for thousands of more years.. Maybe sea level will be different, just like the evidence that we have found that ruins of entire civilizations are at the bottom of the ocean right now.

Maybe New Orleans will be under water in the future, but we will do just fine..

Make that "some humans" will survive. It will not be "most humans." We need fewer people on the planet, but not starvation and flooding to thin the herd, because the planetary ecosphere will be worse off then even with far fewer of us.

WetEV said:
DanCar said:
Amusing. Misleading. True for arid places. When moist rainforests (past carbon loss dominated by decay) burn, that is not due to past fire suppression. Because there never were any past fires to suppress.
Amusing, misleading, where do you get your information?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushfires_in_Australia
Wikipedia said:
Bushfires in Australia are a widespread and regular occurrence that have contributed significantly to moulding the nature of the continent over millions of years.

DanCar said:
WetEV said:
DanCar said:
Amusing, misleading, where do you get your information?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushfires_in_Australia
Wikipedia said:
Bushfires in Australia are a widespread and regular occurrence that have contributed significantly to moulding the nature of the continent over millions of years.

Much of Australia is arid. Not all of Australia is arid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq_FeX3Oxwo

Your source

while post-industrial global warming is predicted to continue increasing the frequency of blazes

goldbrick said:

Goldbrick, it is no use to discuss this issue because too many of us have been brainwashed to believe the media's thirst for flashy, apocalyptic stories that are sensational.

Yes, we need to stop using petroleum, but not for environmental reasons.
We need to stop using plastics which poison the earth's oceans
We need to stop cutting down forests for wood and land development (without replacing the downed plant life).
We need to stop buying our food, produce, and bottled water from distant places, which destroys the local environments.

However, these nice, idealistic ideas will only remain empty IDEAS and complaints because - you, and me, and even our country will not change the behavior of all of the other ignorant third world countries that don't care a rat's butt about this.

All they want is to get a piece of the pie of the American lifestyle.

Why do you think that Global immigration has become such a massive problem... Because western civilization is a very fertile place to be, So all the world's impoverished and uneducated peasants want to come over to get free stuff, and like the past poster said, will skyrocket and increase world population. That is biggest environmental problem that we will be dealing with for the next 30 years.

Why do you think that Global immigration has become such a massive problem...

In large part because of floods, droughts, fires, and food insecurity resulting from same. It will only worsen. People who deny AGW while decrying increasing global migrations are a bit like people who complain about the neighbors' cats, while strewing dead fish around their yards.

People have been migrating because of climate change for thousands of years.
Don't pretend like this is something that started with in the last 100 years.

powersurge said:
...However, these nice, idealistic ideas will only remain empty IDEAS and complaints because - you, and me, and even our country will not change the behavior of all of the other ignorant third world countries that don't care a rat's butt about this. ...

It is exactly true that poor countries and populations desperate for energy and resources will exploit whatever is available to survive.

And it's obvious that it is up to the more prosperous countries to develop and facilitate the changeover to sustainable technologies.

This is the only way that sustainable energy will become economically preferable. We can push for that, so that poorer countries can avail themselves of those advances in time to avert ecologic disaster. Or, we can blame poor countries for being poor and admire our own greatness without laying the groundwork for future greatness. Poor people do what they must. Prosperous people have choices.

Oilpan4 said:
People have been migrating because of climate change for thousands of years.
Don't pretend like this is something that started with in the last 100 years.
Scale matters.

earth_temperature_timeline.png

Back