Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
The newer chemistries seem to favor warmer operation. You see this with Tesla’s as well with packs going above 50C by choice.

If even cold weather packs are moving to the low 90s SOH does that suggest that cold batteries no longer extend life? I would like to know if 2019 40 packs degrade on the same curve or not. The oldest ones are just at a year, so might be able to get some insight.

If you look at geotab 2016 Tesla S models, they also moved to about 90% SOH after 3 years, which is what we are seeing here with the 40 Leaf after 2 years.

Any 2018 40 Leafs our there with 95+% still?

That would be doubtful. Looks like average first year loss is 5-7% regardless of location or miles.

I just bought a 2018 Leaf SL and have seen this Collision Warning light come on and off several times. Took to dealer and they claimed it had some bugs on it. (they cleaned them off). Got car back and it's doing it again. Suggestion on my next step, is there any info you can arm me with before going back to dealer?

that happens to me too. If there is much ice, muck, or gunk on the front of the panel it can cause the sensor to switch off. I am guessing it is a safetly valve to prevent false positives and having the car lurch to a halt for a fly.

Anyone seeing Odometer "drift?"

I reset trip A daily while logging battery performance. I am seeing an error between the addition of Trip A mileage and the odometer that far exceeds any margin of error and its in Nissan's favor. I was simply "adjusting" my logs to cover the distance thinking handwriting could have been misinterpreted or I simply wrote it down wrong but after a month of double verifying figures, the error remains.

Final Update: The rhythmic tocking sound has been eliminated. Nissan manufacturing apparently provided the right advice. The dealer first replaced the hub bearing, and then replaced the RIGHT axle assembly, which includes the CV joint. Previously, given the sound was emanating from the left side, the LEFT axle assembly was replaced with no effect. The going theory is the RIGHT axle was actually making the sound but was echoing in a way that made it sound like the center left. Fairly impressed with the service, but wondering if there are other 18/19 LEAFs with similar issues that need attention (especially given I had two that different sound issues). Glad to have the car back.

jdcbomb said:
Update: The 18 SL has been back at the Nissan (Raleigh, NC) where instead of flying out a manufacturing engineer, they apparently heard the recordings, read the maintenance notes and actions taken before and have recommended to begin replacing specific parts, with the regional tech leading the analysis. Each part will be replaced in a sequence as the "most" likely culprit, then proceeding to the next possible part. (wheel bearings first, then others, then even the reduction gear)Again, this noise has nothing to do with any previous known TSBs / recalls, as this is clearly a mechanical issue when turning a sharp left turn, sounding like a grandfather clock knocking sound. This entire process could take a week or more. ICE as a loaner will be provided.

jdcbomb said:
Update on the 18 MY SL: Dealership informed me they are flying in a senior regional Nissan tech next week to listen for himself the "tocking / knocking" sound coming from the left side. Existing TSBs, loose nuts, axles, ruled out by local and regional techs as root cause. Gonna be interesting. Still racking up miles on an otherwise great car (now nearing 8,500 miles 6 months into ownership of this unit).

jdcbomb said:
Update on my other 18 MY SL that has a different sound emanating from the same area under the same driving conditions (left u-turn or sharp left turn).

Nissan manufacturing still determining what could be causing the "tock" sound to occur. The entire left axle was replaced but it didn't really do much. Regional Nissan tech is mystified and I find it fascinating that I have presented them with two LEAFs with frame sounds that take months to resolve. Customer service at the dealer is very good.

Good thing is they've ruled out it's a safety issue so I've been able to drive this vehicle normally without having to use a ICE loaner.

jdcbomb said:
Final Update: The rhythmic tocking sound has been eliminated. Nissan manufacturing apparently provided the right advice. The dealer first replaced the hub bearing, and then replaced the RIGHT axle assembly, which includes the CV joint. Previously, given the sound was emanating from the left side, the LEFT axle assembly was replaced with no effect. The going theory is the RIGHT axle was actually making the sound but was echoing in a way that made it sound like the center left. Fairly impressed with the service, but wondering if there are other 18/19 LEAFs with similar issues that need attention (especially given I had two that different sound issues). Glad to have the car back.

We had that sound on our 2019 SL Plus, also coming from the front left axle. Based on your report here we brought it in, and the Nissan service technician said that it was a known issue, and swapped out a part while my wife waited. It took about an hour and they rotated the tires as well, and we haven't heard the clunking sound since.

Great to hear but my sound was NOT a clunking sound and only occurred with sharp left turns. It was a rhythmic grinding grandfather clock tocking sound that the techs had not heard before. I'm aware of the clunking sound issue (not affecting my 2 LEAFs) and glad to hear it's documented and can be fixed quickly.

Astros said:
jdcbomb said:

We had that sound on our 2019 SL Plus, also coming from the front left axle. Based on your report here we brought it in, and the Nissan service technician said that it was a known issue, and swapped out a part while my wife waited. It took about an hour and they rotated the tires as well, and we haven't heard the clunking sound since.

Astros said:
jdcbomb said:

Sounds like what my 2018 was doing. I only heard it on a left turn to a street maybe 6 " lower than the street I was turning from. It was "clunking" sound as well. But the car is gone now and so far my 2019 has exhibited minimal weirdness. Yesterday my center touchscreen froze up for a bit but it cleared itself within 15 seconds or so.

Defective battery pack
2018 SL, built 08/2018 in USA.
A few months ago the car started showing a noticeable range decrease.
When the car is charged to 100%, the dash shows a range of 241km (150miles) and the range decreases steadily till just below 80%. Below 80%, the range starts decreasing rapidly, at about triple the rate of when the battery is fully charged. Basically, same distance driven (40km) from 100% to 80% takes the battery from 80% to 25%. The overall range of the car is just over 100km (63 miles) which is way below the specs, even when taking into account the winter weather which has been mild this year.
Recently got myself a LS pro, which shows a "weak cell: 24" with a 268mV difference when fully charged (SOC 94.2%). At 20% on the dash LS SOC is at 51% and the difference for the weak cell is 110mV.
The dealership is sympathetic but told me that the Nissan corporate technicians who they have been consulting with consider the imbalance in cell voltage to be within tolerance and will not service the battery without a trouble code. They suggested reprogramming which hasn't made much of a difference for the overall range.
AHr=107.13, SOH=92.80%, Hx=111.46%
Odometer 29,032km (18,040 miles).

Rhcanleaf said:
Defective battery pack
When the car is charged to 100%, the dash shows a range of 241km (150miles) and the range decreases steadily till just below 80%. Below 80%, the range starts decreasing rapidly, at about triple the rate of when the battery is fully charged. Basically, same distance driven (40km) from 100% to 80% takes the battery from 80% to 25%. The overall range of the car is just over 100km (63 miles) which is way below the specs, even when taking into account the winter weather which has been mild this year.
Recently got myself a LS pro, which shows a "weak cell: 24" with a 268mV difference when fully charged (SOC 94.2%). At 20% on the dash LS SOC is at 51% and the difference for the weak cell is 110mV.
The dealership is sympathetic but told me that the Nissan corporate technicians who they have been consulting with consider the imbalance in cell voltage to be within tolerance and will not service the battery without a trouble code. They suggested reprogramming which hasn't made much of a difference for the overall range.

Has this been fully addressed yet?

Not fixed yet. The dealership reprogrammed the car. That of course didn't fix anything. I'm dropping off the car at the dealership again today for a few days so that they can drive it and observe the pathetic range for themselves. If this doesn't result in a warranty fix I am going to pursue a legal action against Nissan Canada.

coleafrado said:
Rhcanleaf said:
Defective battery pack

HRTKD said:
My 2019 is less than 90 days old with almost 2,000 miles on it. I've been hearing a faint clunk every once in a while. I thought it was coming from the front passenger area. A quick inspection of the suspension with the wheel off shows nothing obvious. I have yet to be able to reproduce the issue consistently. I'll try hitting bumps while turning to see if it's similar to what jdcbomb has posted.

The charging port door froze closed once. A subsequent treatment of the gasket material with Krytox seems to have helped. My car gets washed as soon as possible after a snowstorm, so I definitely get water all over the place.

No other issues worth bringing up. I really like the car. Better than my 2015.

I took my Leaf in for the clunk and I don't know if it's been resolved or not. The dealership's response was that the lug nuts weren't tight enough. The service writer gave me a TSB printout showing that the lug nuts need to be at 83 ft/lbs. That torque setting is exactly what the hard copy owner's manual calls for. I used a torque wrench when mounting my winter wheels and I used the 83 ft/lbs. If the clunk is really gone then A) why wasn't it present on all four wheels, B) I need to calibrate my torque wrench, C) next time I'll just use 90.

UPDATE: I drove on some rough dirt roads at low speed. The clunk is NOT gone.

HRTKD said:
I took my Leaf in for the clunk and I don't know if it's been resolved or not. The dealership's response was that the lug nuts weren't tight enough. The service writer gave me a TSB printout showing that the lug nuts need to be at 83 ft/lbs. That torque setting is exactly what the hard copy owner's manual calls for. I used a torque wrench when mounting my winter wheels and I used the 83 ft/lbs. If the clunk is really gone then A) why wasn't it present on all four wheels, B) I need to calibrate my torque wrench, C) next time I'll just use 90.

I heard some funny clunks from my left front suspension going over bumps, too, right before it failed yesterday: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=579988#p579988

Some people have remarked that a certain axle bearing or bushing needs to be tightened periodically to remedy this issue.

coleafrado said:
HRTKD said:

I heard some funny clunks from my left front suspension going over bumps, too, right before it failed yesterday: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=579988#p579988

Some people have remarked that a certain axle bearing or bushing needs to be tightened periodically to remedy this issue.

This issue, is not a "defect". Needing a repair is not an overall "defect" of the entire population of cars.

It is an older car as i remember. You should address the problem as discussed in the other topic you created.

powersurge said:
This issue, is not a "defect". Needing a repair is not an overall "defect" of the entire population of cars.

It is an older car as i remember. You should address the problem as discussed in the other topic you created.

I made that post before I actually determined what had failed, though I agree. The issue I was referring to is a separate matter: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=26079

About a month ago after the car has hardly been used and charged due to the covid 19 lockdowns I finally got the anticipated battery warning messages and the car went into a turtle mode. The dealership dropped the pack and manually tested each module. They found 2 modules with a lower current. They replaced those modules under warranty.

Rhcanleaf said:
Not fixed yet. The dealership reprogrammed the car. That of course didn't fix anything. I'm dropping off the car at the dealership again today for a few days so that they can drive it and observe the pathetic range for themselves. If this doesn't result in a warranty fix I am going to pursue a legal action against Nissan Canada.

coleafrado said:
Rhcanleaf said:
Defective battery pack

the only issue with my 2019 SL Plus is the high speed mode for the windshield wipers has never worked....low speeds ok....waiting for my annual battery check to get it fixed.

LeftieBiker said:
My car's 'Automatic Recirculate' feature just stopped working. The light flashes twice with the button press/hold, but then it goes right back to Recirculate.

You are not in any defrost modes, correct?

Back