2018 Leaf Gen 2 Winter Tires size

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mobile tire service I use also jacks up one side at a time. They are fairly professional. I probably won't be using them as much, though, as they charged me virtually the same $100+ to slap on wheels with snow tires as they did to actually dismount and remount tires. I just hope I have enough strength left to do the job.

For a long time, I have gotten the Walmart Lifetime rotate and balance for all my cars, including the 2011 Red Leaf (RIP) and the 2019 SL+. They lift it on a regular hoist - all wheels off the ground, supported at the suspension rather than the body. Getting the tires rotated every 5000 miles, I've never had any damage to either Leaf, Chevy Volt, Prius or Honda Fit.
I know they do swaps to Winter tires for a reasonable price, I don't know the cost - it's easier for me to do it myself at the storage unit than to put the tires into the car without getting it scuffed & waiting in line. Hydraulic trolley jack with 360 deg handle (so the handle can swivel to the fender well; very tight clearance for jacking with a regular handle) along with T-bar is what I use.

I swap my own tires/wheels between summer and winter. I use a rubber jack pad on my floor jack. By placing it under the front jack location I can lift the entire side of the car. The jack pad has a slot that is tight enough that I place the pad on the body seam and it stays there while I position the floor jack. Any scissor jack that is designed to fit onto a body seam should work. I did that on my son's Ford Focus to prove to him that he didn't need to bring his car to my house to swap tires/wheels.

Here's a link to the jack pad I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H46MXO8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering 16" steel wheels and 16" winter tires from Tire Rack. But the only way to order on Tire Rack is to order for a 2017 Leaf (the Tire Rack website claims it does not know what size wheels/tires the 2018-2019 Leaf has). And the only way to get 16" wheels and tires is to say that I have a 2017 S (in reality, I have a 2019 SV).

Can anyone confirm that 16" steel wheels and 16" tires sized by Tire Rack for a 2017 S Leaf will also fit on a 2019 SV Leaf?

The steel wheels are 16 x 6.5.
The tires are:
MICHELIN
X-ICE Xi3
205/55R16
Style: Blackwall
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 94H

As said above, the earlier model TPMS may not work with with newer Leaf. You'll need a TPMS sensor that supports 433 Mhz. The dual frequency sensors work fine. I'm using the Autel 6937357202877, which is dual frequency.

Thanks for your replies Leftie and HRTKD. And I didn't know that about the TPMS sensors. Tire Rack says that in order to get the steel wheels I'm required to also buy a set of 4 TPMS sensors for $228. These are described on the site as "Modified 315MHz Tire Pressure Sensors." So I guess those won't work? What do you do then? Do you have to get them from a Nissan dealership?

I bought the Autel sensors online. I have a TPMS programming tool so I can do my own sensor sync. Otherwise, take the wheels/tires/sensors to just about any tire shop and they'll install the sensors and program them to the car.

My Autel sensors now have the same ID as the OEM Nissan sensors. So when I switch back to the original tires/wheels/sensors that came with the car there is no programming needed unless the car doesn't pick up the new positions of the tire/wheel/sensor.

I got a deal on mine with snow tires. However, and I hesitate to say this, for reasons that will be clear, I was able to pair mine with the car with LeafSpy Pro. The thing is, though, that this isn't supposed to be possible, and it took trial and error, and... I don't remember exactly what worked...

LeftieBiker said:
I got a deal on mine with snow tires. However, and I hesitate to say this, for reasons that will be clear, I was able to pair mine with the car with LeafSpy Pro. The thing is, though, that this isn't supposed to be possible, and it took trial and error, and... I don't remember exactly what worked...

Your method is a heck of a lot less expensive than mine. I bought one of Autel's tools, but it will get used on three other brands of vehicles at my house. So it was worth it.

I spent a lot of research on the TPMS system for my '07 Titan and authored how-to posts for that. It turned out to be fairly easy once you knew how. I'm at a point where I can afford to just buy the damn tool and be done with it. Programming the sensors to mimic the OEM sensors isn't a DIY job without the tool as far as I know. I haven't looked into Leaf Spy, so I don't know what it's capable of or how it does it.

So I am looking for either 16" or 17" winter wheels for our 2019 SL Plus, and there are no options on TireRack. However, there are options for older LEAF models, like 2015. Could I order 16" wheels for a 2015 LEAF and put on them on our newer LEAF? I cannot figure out why TireRack says they have no options for the new generation right now.

I had aftermarket winter tires/wheels/sensors on my 2015 Leaf. As I recall, these were the same size as OEM. I use the same set on my 2019, but had to upgrade the sensors to the new frequency.

LeftieBiker said:
Yup. The wheels are fine, but the sensor frequency has changed to...433?

Correct. The replacement sensors I used are dual frequency.

Back