Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
Would you consider a 40kWh upgrade swap for $8k?

Absolutely! In fact, there is more value (to me) in anything larger than the 24kWhr pack. For example, I would not even pay $6k for a 24kWhr pack.

I wonder if the cost to Nissan of building a 40kWh pack is the same or lower than a 24kWh pack now. It would be a game-changer if old Leaf's could get a new 40kWh pack for a reasonable fee. I still wish I would have bought that old Leaf that I saw listed for $2500. I don't have time for a cell swap but if a 40kWh pack could be bought from Nissan, then it's nearly a no-brainer.

Im the Phoenix class-action representative from the Nissan Leaf battery degradation class action lawsuit that was filed against Nissan and I still own my 2011 Nissan Leaf w/ 101,800 miles and am down 6 capacity bars on the second battery which was replaced under the capacity warranty. I just spoke to Nissan customer service and they lowered the price of their 24 kilowatt hour battery to approximately $5,495. They're 40 kilowatt battery is now $12,495. They are discontinuing the 30 kilowatt hour battery and replacing those cars batteries with their 40 kilowatt hour battery. They have still yet to announce this which is odd and they will not install a 40 kilowatt hour in a 24 kilowatt hour equipped car. I told them about Fenix Power and that Fenix power will be the best solution because your batteries with a small subscription price every month will be kept at maximum capacity and you'll always be at 12 capacity bars.. Can't Wait! :p

OrientExpress said:
Would you consider a 40kWh upgrade swap for $8k?
Yes, I would spend $8k for that increase in mileage; my 2011 SV has 32,000 miles and 10 bars yet; since the mileage is low, I'm thinking the battery has an age factor association in addition to a usage factor. The chassis is still in great shape.

Not to sound too critical, but what you will get from OE will be whatever Nissan publishes in pamphlet form for public consumption, possibly a bit before it is released. So far what we have is someone writing in an EV forum that they were told by Nissan's EV hotline that 40kwh batteries will now be used for 30kwh replacements. That's it, so far.

dsh said:
Im the Phoenix class-action representative from the Nissan Leaf battery degradation class action lawsuit that was filed against Nissan and I still own my 2011 Nissan Leaf w/ 101,800 miles and am down 6 capacity bars on the second battery which was replaced under the capacity warranty. I just spoke to Nissan customer service and they lowered the price of their 24 kilowatt hour battery to approximately $5,495. They're 40 kilowatt battery is now $12,495. They are discontinuing the 30 kilowatt hour battery and replacing those cars batteries with their 40 kilowatt hour battery. They have still yet to announce this which is odd and they will not install a 40 kilowatt hour in a 24 kilowatt hour equipped car. I told them about Fenix Power and that Fenix power will be the best solution because your batteries with a small subscription price every month will be kept at maximum capacity and you'll always be at 12 capacity bars.. Can't Wait! :p

I thought I had responded to this but I don't see it... IF this is correct, that's $312 per kWh for the 40 pack in total, which seems absurd to me. The 24 pack is $228 per kWh. So much for economies of scale! Both are well above what the rumor mill says the current price is for batteries.

Here is what I learned today from Nissan:

According to an official response that I have received from Nissan, they confirm that they are now replacing 30 kWh batteries for 2016 & 17 LEAF warranty claims with the newer 40 kWh. This is only for warranty claims.

This is only for 2016-17 cars, and does not apply to any 24 kWh cars of which the vast majority are out of their battery warranty period.

I expect more detailed info by the weekend.

I'm working with the group that writes the scripts for the help line contractors use to talk to those that call in.

I haven't received the details on non-warranty purchases yet, but expect to get the details soon.

OrientExpress said:

According to an official response that I have received from Nissan, they confirm that they are now replacing 30 kWh batteries for 2016 & 17 LEAF warranty claims with the newer 40 kWh. This is only for warranty claims.

This is only for 2016-17 cars, and does not apply to any 24 kWh cars of which the vast majority are out of their battery warranty period.

Sounds like I need to buy a 2017 ASAP. The newer warranties are much more generous than the old ones. I would fully expect to lose 4 bars over 8 years in the hot florida sun. I've been losing about 5% per year on the 2014 I bought 3 years ago.

Strangely Mossy Nissan in San Diego is insisting the price for a 2011 Leaf battery is $8500, right after I verified with corporate that it is actually supposed to be $5500. Waiting on a call back from the service department, not expecting to get one.

webb14leafs said:
OrientExpress said:

Sounds like I need to buy a 2017 ASAP. The newer warranties are much more generous than the old ones. I would fully expect to lose 4 bars over 8 years in the hot florida sun. I've been losing about 5% per year on the 2014 I bought 3 years ago.
Knowing what I know now about Nissan's ever-changing EV battery policies and their lack of battery development over the last 9 years, I can't recommend any car they make to my friends. And, I'm truly tired of having to dick around with Nissan and their poor customer service.

solartim said:
Strangely Mossy Nissan in San Diego is insisting the price for a 2011 Leaf battery is $8500, right after I verified with corporate that it is actually supposed to be $5500. Waiting on a call back from the service department, not expecting to get one.

Not completely surprised. Sounds like "market adjustment" a common ploy in the industry.

They are quite the Leaf supporter. I agree with you. There is no way I could recommend a Nissan to anyone. My 2011 with 36000mi is down to 6 bars. I have done 3 or 4 DC charges since I have owned it. Most of the charges were at 80%. A good car with a lousy prime mover.
Just sold last year a 2006 Frontier with 60000mi. that was total crap. Transmission has a problem where a mixing valve lets coolant into the transmission totally wrecking transmission. Cost me $3300 to fix. This is a problem with a lot of Frontiers. Also, replaced Evaporative Emissions Canister Vent Valve twice. Daughters Frontier has the same problem. So all in all, Nissan makes **** cars.
I will end up giving away leaf when I sell house if buyer wants it.
I am out of the EV market and Nissan.
Buy with CAUTION.

fotajoye said:
OrientExpress said:
I’d be interested in hearing what you know, and what your reluctance to recommend Nissan is.

What is your affiliation with Nissan?

The service side really depends on the dealer. We used one which was difficult and another who has been extremely fair and engaging when approaching them about the Leaf. We have made 3 purchases from them and consider them part of Nissan’s value proposition.

Martin Nissan is Skokie has been fantastic for those in Illinois.

Now they need the the dual motor 80 kWh Leaf for 2021!

Back