Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
fotajoye said:
What is your affiliation with Nissan?

I'm a Journalist, I also founded a LEAF Owners club.

Given your um, extremely supportive views on Nissan products, you may want to call yourself a "marketing agent." Automotive journalists don't base all of their reviews on press releases from manufacturers.

OrientExpress said:
fotajoye said:
What is your affiliation with Nissan?

I'm a Journalist, I also founded a LEAF Owners club.
Thank you for the reply;
I speak as a long term customer of Nissan. I even raced a turbo charged 240Z in club racing and have owned several Datsun products over the years.

One only has to read this forum to understand that Nissan management doesn't know how to administer EV policy as they have few people who understand how important the EV range is to the U.S. customer. Doesn't take a genius to understand if you want 100 miles range at 50,000 miles, you have to account for the degradation of the battery over the time frame. Additionally, It appears Nissan's plan was to sell as many subpar compliance cars worldwide as possible and claim the indirect subsidies for short term profits...their approach was to increase their PR budget to convince buyers that 70 miles was all that was needed; nothing was ever said about degradation in the PR...lies by omission, perhaps?
Instead of spending the money on improving the traction battery cells, reducing costs and increasing range, Nissan bought words on paper.

Now Nissan can't even agree on a plan to support their over 400,000 Leaf buyers. All of which will need a replacement battery; Is the price $5.5k or $9k for a 24kW replacement pack? Why doesn't Nissan do the right thing and offer the 40kW pack to gen one cars...in 10 years, a company that earns their salt should have improved their battery cell capacity by 50% and should have reduced the cost accordingly. Tesla gets it and that has been their direction; They have hinted at a 400 mile range starting in March.

I trusted Nissan to know that improving the traction battery was the key to their success in EVs. Instead they slept for 10 years. Not a peep about cell improvements. for years.

When confronted with complaints about the need to water cool their battery packs, their reaction was nil.

All their Leaf problems are battery related and Nissan just doesn't get it. It just goes on and on with the customers trying to make battery suggestions and Nissan with closed ears to the truth. It's as if Nissan sees their customers as 'The Enemy.'

Mechanically, the Leaf as a good little solid hatchback that will last for many miles, limited by a company unable to manage the new battery technology and driven more by profits at the cost of customer satisfaction.

Henry Ford based his company on taking responsibility for satisfying his customers. Perhaps Nissan management needs to read his autobiography.

dsh said:
Im the Phoenix class-action representative from the Nissan Leaf battery degradation class action lawsuit that was filed against Nissan and I still own my 2011 Nissan Leaf w/ 101,800 miles and am down 6 capacity bars on the second battery which was replaced under the capacity warranty. I just spoke to Nissan customer service and they lowered the price of their 24 kilowatt hour battery to approximately $5,495. They're 40 kilowatt battery is now $12,495. They are discontinuing the 30 kilowatt hour battery and replacing those cars batteries with their 40 kilowatt hour battery. They have still yet to announce this which is odd and they will not install a 40 kilowatt hour in a 24 kilowatt hour equipped car. I told them about Fenix Power and that Fenix power will be the best solution because your batteries with a small subscription price every month will be kept at maximum capacity and you'll always be at 12 capacity bars.. Can't Wait! :p

dsh do you know if the 40 kWh replacement will show a range of 150 miles or if they will just label that extra 10 kWh as battery reserve power with software and the full range will read the same 107 miles. Either way that is awesome news. Do you know if Nissan has found a design problem with the 30kWh battery causing premature failure? My failed it about 24K miles and in 38 months and showed a State Of Health of 63%. It was an off lease car so I really do not have detailed history. Leaf Spy Pro at about 22K miles reported 1 DC and 720 L1/L2 charges. From the external wear on the OEM L1 it may have been the main charger used to charge the car. It had lived in St. Louis MO when it was on lease.

The dealer has had our 2016 Leaf SL over a month now. To be clear they said they got a new Leaf diagnostic computer system a couple months ago but have not had a Leaf in the shop to learn how to use it. I mean they knew the battery was bad (8 bars now after the BMS update was ran in 2018) the first week they had it but I was willing for them use my car to train their techs. They did get a factory trainer out then an area rep to decide where to replace the battery I was told by phone yesterday.

The service writer was evasive when I asked if they had my new battery and he mention that something was mentioned about a buy back because a new battery from the warehouse was going to be $12,500 which until I read your post I thought was BS. My blood pressure shot up over the word "buy-back" and he must have heard my pulse through the phone because he said he was going to be working on this 24/7 to get me a battery. I said NO get sleep so you can work on the matter better. :)

I started my case through the National Leaf customer rep a couple months ago so I reached my contact today and mentioned about "buy-back" coming up and asked why. I was told if the techs found my battery was at 8 bars or less I would be getting a new battery since the BSM was ran in 2018 per the history data. I was told the buy-back was for major repairs that would take a long time and not a battery replacement on a used car. So Monday the servicing dealership service center is to be called by the national customer rep and I am to hear back by Wed that the battery replacement has been ordered.

Our Leaf only has 25K miles and it looks new like so I want to keep it so the national rep made me feel at ease and the 40 kWh news is icing on the cake. The ex CEO Carlos Ghosn mentioned in an interview a couple weeks ago that Nissan would be bankrupt in 2022 so that did not help my stress level on top of the lack of communication about what was happening with my battery replacement. Thanks for your post.

fotajoye said:
Now Nissan can't even agree on a plan to support their over 400,000 Leaf buyers. All of which will need a replacement battery; Is the price $5.5k or $9k for a 24kW replacement pack? Why doesn't Nissan do the right thing and offer the 40kW pack to gen one cars...
You mean kWh? Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "KW".
GaleHawkins said:
dsh do you know if the 40 kWh replacement will show a range of 150 miles or if they will just label that extra 10 kWh as battery reserve power with software and the full range will read the same 107 miles.
Not sure why you're asking about the crappy GOM. Gids in Leaf Spy at full charge and dead or nearly dead along with voltages at each are likely to be much more indicative of what's going on. Also, depleting or nearly depleting the battery then charging to full on a a metered L2 EVSE that tells us many kWh the car drew would also give us a better idea of the amount of usable capacity. (One would have to make some adjustments for charging losses.)

ChargePoint's networked home and commercial EVSEs will tell you how many kWh were dispensed in a session.

cwerdna said:
fotajoye said:
Now Nissan can't even agree on a plan to support their over 400,000 Leaf buyers. All of which will need a replacement battery; Is the price $5.5k or $9k for a 24kW replacement pack? Why doesn't Nissan do the right thing and offer the 40kW pack to gen one cars...
GaleHawkins said:
dsh do you know if the 40 kWh replacement will show a range of 150 miles or if they will just label that extra 10 kWh as battery reserve power with software and the full range will read the same 107 miles.
Not sure why you're asking about the crappy GOM. Gids in Leaf Spy at full charge and dead or nearly dead along with voltages at each are likely to be much more indicative of what's going on. Also, depleting or nearly depleting the battery then charging to full on a a metered L2 EVSE that tells us many kWh the car drew would also give us a better idea of the amount of usable capacity. (One would have to make some adjustments for charging losses.)

ChargePoint's networked home and commercial EVSEs will tell you how many kWh were dispensed in a session.

I was not asking about the crappy GOM but was just asking dsh he knew if the 40 kWh replacement will show a range of 150 miles or if they will just label that extra 10 kWh as battery reserve power with software and the full range will read the same 107 miles.

GaleHawkins said:
I was not asking about the crappy GOM but was just asking dsh he knew if the 40 kWh replacement will show a range of 150 miles or if they will just label that extra 10 kWh as battery reserve power with software and the full range will read the same 107 miles.

Since no one can even document if this rumored 40 KWH for 30 KWH is going to happen, it is unlikely anyone can tell you how the larger capacity battery would perform in your Leaf. (Assuming this actually occurs in your case, for gosh sake report back!)

Dooglas said:
GaleHawkins said:

Since no one can even document if this rumored 40 KWH for 30 KWH is going to happen, it is unlikely anyone can tell you how the larger capacity battery would perform in your Leaf. (Assuming this actually occurs in your case, for gosh sake report back!)

Actually it has already happened.

cwerdna said:
No, I meant kW not kWh; those of us who have worked in the electronic industry over many years often shorten acronyms that are commonly used.

BTW, it's not your job to correct people on this forum, don't do it, it's obnoxious and negative by its very nature.

fotajoye said:
cwerdna said:
No, I meant kW not kWh; those of us who have worked in the electronic industry over many years often shorten acronyms that are commonly used.
Then you would be wrong. kW and kWh are very different metrics: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=540845#p540845.

That's very sloppy to mix the two up.
fotajoye said:
BTW, it's not your job to correct people on this forum, don't do it, it's obnoxious and negative by its very nature.
:roll: Then get the units right.

A bunch of folks had to spend time educating nerys and others at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17985&start=10. This topic has come up over and over (e.g. https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18510). This guy didn't understand which is which and caused a total cluster$%$%: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-to-have-60kw-supercharging.84297/.

If folks are trying to convince me of something and I were on the other side, their arguments become much less persuasive when there are signs they don't know what they're talking about. Not knowing the difference between kW and kWh or misusing one vs. the other is an example of that.

fotajoye said:
cwerdna said:

I agree on both points.

fotajoye said:
cwerdna said:

Well then I will take over the job. Don't know what's worse. People who can't admit they are wrong or people who think they know everything.

DaveinOlyWA said:
fotajoye said:
cwerdna said:

Well then I will take over the job. Don't know what's worse. People who can't admit they are wrong or people who think they know everything.
My, My, much to do over NOTHING! Seems to me those of us who know everything would be the worse.

fotajoye said:
When confronted with complaints about the need to water cool their battery packs, their reaction was nil.

For an around town and commuting car, I'd rather have a battery pack with no water close to the cells. The correct answer long term is choice.

WetEV said:
fotajoye said:

For an around town and commuting car, I'd rather have a battery pack with no water close to the cells. The correct answer long term is choice.
Wrong again. The correct answer is a battery that can last the life of the car. If you have a Leaf with a bad battery and are beyond the warranty, you are faced with a repair bill that likely exceeds the value of the car. $12,000 for a 40 KWH battery is a "go away and don't bother me anymore" answer. And to add insult to injury, Nissan won't install a 40 KWH battery in any Leaf that originally had a 24 KWH battery even though it's been proven to work. Don't even ask about a 62 KWH pack.

johnlocke said:
WetEV said:
Wrong again. The correct answer is a battery that can last the life of the car.
My Leaf 2014 is closing on 6 years/60k miles with ~87% SOH. I'm reasonably happy with the expected life of the car, and very happy with the low maintenance. And the zero reported battery fires in Nissan Leafs.

You are sure I should not have the chance to buy another Leaf. Ever again. Thanks.

You are sure I should not have the chance to buy another Leaf. Ever again. Thanks.

Don't exaggerate. We just don't want you to have the chance to buy a NEW Leaf ever again. ;) Nissan shouldn't be building EVs for the literally one person we know of - you - who has hydrophobia.

Back