Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
johnlocke said:
WetEV said:
For an around town and commuting car, I'd rather have a battery pack with no water close to the cells. The correct answer long term is choice.
Wrong again. The correct answer is a battery that can last the life of the car.
My Leaf 2014 is closing on 6 years/60k miles with ~87% SOH. I'm reasonably happy with the expected life of the car, and very happy with the low maintenance. And the zero reported battery fires in Nissan Leafs.

You are sure I should not have the chance to buy another Leaf. Ever again. Thanks.
Given your lack of battery degradation you won't ever need to buy another Leaf anyway. I never said you couldn't buy another Leaf, just that that battery ought to last as long as the rest of the car.

johnlocke said:
Given your lack of battery degradation you won't ever need to buy another Leaf anyway. I never said you couldn't buy another Leaf, just that that battery ought to last as long as the rest of the car.

Oh, I can buy another Leaf, as long as it is water cooled. Thanks. Thanks so much.

I like my Leaf. I'm amazed at the hatred expressed at the Leaf and at Nissan.

I'm actually more afraid that the only car available in 10 years will be a Tesla. Stock at $720, only justifiable if Tesla will get and holds a monopoly on cars.

WetEV said:
johnlocke said:

Oh, I can buy another Leaf, as long as it is water cooled. Thanks. Thanks so much.

I'm actually more afraid that the only car available in 10 years will be a Tesla. Stock at $720, only justifiable if Tesla will get and holds a monopoly on cars.

What car companies have ever been proven in court to be a monopoly? I know about Standard Oil and the phone companies being declared monopolies but I can not recall any car company. It could be decades before all EV's made can't find buyers. I think it shows a lack of interest that no EV makers have come out with an EV that matches the range of what Tesla was selling as 2012 Model S.

GaleHawkins said:
What car companies have ever been proven in court to be a monopoly? I know about Standard Oil and the phone companies being declared monopolies but I can not recall any car company. It could be decades before all EV's made can't find buyers. I think it shows a lack of interest that no EV makers have come out with an EV that matches the range of what Tesla was selling as 2012 Model S.
GM limited market share to avoid anti-trust action in the 1950's and 1960's. GM had a nearly 50% market share. Antitrust case was started in the 1960's, but then Toyota and others started winning.

EV production and sales has been and is likely to roughly double every 2-3 years. So roughly 10 to 15 years out, if Tesla maintains market share of EVs, Tesla will top GM's market share.

Lack of interest can be fatal.

WetEV said:
johnlocke said:

Don't blame me for Nissan's decisions. Nissan could figure out how to air cool the battery if they wanted. Heat pipes to a fin assembly comes to mind. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't want a battery that lasts for several 100,000 miles. By the way, you can't buy an air cooled VW anymore either.

By the way, you can't buy an air cooled VW anymore either.

Well, you just ruined his day! Seriously, I used to think that WetEV just used the tiny risk of fire as an excuse, but I'm starting to think that he really believes that driving a car with a water cooled battery is like driving a 1972 Pinto hatchback on the Autobahn, risk-wise.

Careful, you will date yourself with the Pinto reference.

I think Nissan made a conscious decision to not add liquid cooling for cost, and will change with the next gen platform.

With EVs sales popping in Europe, guessing they will rise a bit with the tide. The US will continue to see timid sales. Maybe preserve the end of the full 7500 rebate for launch of the new car next year.

johnlocke said:
Don't blame me for Nissan's decisions. Nissan could figure out how to air cool the battery if they wanted. Heat pipes to a fin assembly comes to mind. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't want a battery that lasts for several 100,000 miles. By the way, you can't buy an air cooled VW anymore either.

Most common working fluid in a heat pipe is water. I'd prefer no water in the battery pack, please.

At 10-12 thousand miles a year, "several 100,000 miles" would be 20+ years. Almost always worth owning a car newer than average for better reliability, safety and technology, at least in my opinion. Average age of a car is about 12 years.

A 24kWh Leaf meets my needs and expectations. If it doesn't meet yours, buy something else. A 40kWh Leaf should be able to drive the same commute for much longer. Or if you live in an extreme climate and have an iron butt, get a Bolt.

DougWantsALeaf said:

I think Nissan made a conscious decision to not add liquid cooling for cost, and will change with the next gen platform.

With EVs sales popping in Europe, guessing they will rise a bit with the tide. The US will continue to see timid sales. Maybe preserve the end of the full 7500 rebate for launch of the new car next year.
I agree; Nissan sales are down since Ghosn was replaced. After 10 years of not advancing their battery tech, perhaps the new CEO has a better plan. I wonder if He will define a positive 1st gen battery replacement solution.

LeftieBiker said:
Equally likely, he will suggest that Nissan de-emphasize EVs and just sell the Leaf until it's obsolete.

That would close down Nissan but Carlos recently said Nissan would be in bankruptcy in 2022. Nissan and others are being forced out of gas and diesel vehicle markets in China and Europe.

In middle America Nissan car sales are heavy in the $15K - $25K market. They can not slap an electric motor and battery into a $15K chassis and price it for the price of a base Model 3 Tesla. Elon Musk was recently talking about building and selling a $10K EV for like in China and Africa.

fotajoye said:
After 10 years of not advancing their battery tech, perhaps the new CEO has a better plan.
Disagree. We've seen at least with "wolf" and "lizard" packs, improved heat degradation resistance. Beyond that, we've seen improved energy density. 30 kWh packs fit in the same space as 24 kWh packs. IIRC. 40 kWh packs fit in the space of 30 kWh packs, given the stories we're hearing.

62 kWh packs are a bit larger and can kinda fit in 24 kWh cars.

Have you compared the starting price of the 40 kWh Leafs vs. 24 kWh '11 Leafs despite the former having ~double the range and about 67% more capacity?
fotajoye said:
I wonder if He will define a positive 1st gen battery replacement solution.
Not likely. Nissan's core business is to sell/lease you a new car.

Given Nissan's financial struggles and want/need to cut costs, I wouldn't expect a lot of new sudden goodwill coming out of them. :(
danrjones said:
WetEV said:
an iron butt

And where do we get that?
One either tolerates the crappy Bolt front seats or tries to look for solutions. Some folks have added padding underneath the cover. I bought a cover that I mentioned at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=564799#p564799. It has solved my front seat comfort issues although has some downsides that I listed there. :|

And, numerous other Bolt drivers claim their front seats are fine. (shrug)

WetEV said:
GaleHawkins said:
GM limited market share to avoid anti-trust action in the 1950's and 1960's. GM had a nearly 50% market share. Antitrust case was started in the 1960's, but then Toyota and others started winning.

EV production and sales has been and is likely to roughly double every 2-3 years. So roughly 10 to 15 years out, if Tesla maintains market share of EVs, Tesla will top GM's market share.

Lack of interest can be fatal.

Won't be fatal but the lackluster reaction to market forces will be telling. Like the Prius, eventually manufacturers will come around to the fact that the technology provides something people want. For the Prius, it was high gas mileage. For EVs, it will be not going to the gas station.

I know people will argue the charging times hold us back and that would be wrong. It is the inadequate charging network holding us back. If we have a certain level of confidence we could go somewhere and plug in, it would be a completely different ballgame.

My patience wore thin with excuse after excuse from Nissan and I made the jump to Tesla and glad I did. With the Nationwide Super Charging Network and the new Version 3 charging system coming online as I type my charge times will be cut in half on average down to 20 minutes on a cross country trip (250kwh speeds). Check out Abetterrouteplanner.com/ and see what is waiting for you. And it keeps getting better and with the acquisition of Maxwell Technologies, it's only going to get better, like a Million Mile Battery Life better. No more range anxiety, a thing of the past.

The Model 3 is great and we have our name in the hat for the CyberTruck, with 0 to 60 in 2.9, sweet.

Tesla Model 3 (40 minutes charging) currently, V3 Charging: 20 minutes total on the 478-mile trip.
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=8482b0c0-6837-491c-90cd-cf346815fcfd
vs.
Nissan LEAF (62kwh) (2:43 minutes charging)
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=f2095b07-642d-4d20-8920-81e97e890037

Eyeresearch said:
My patience wore thin with excuse after excuse from Nissan and I made the jump to Tesla and glad I did. With the Nationwide Super Charging Network and the new Version 3 charging system coming online as I type my charge times will be cut in half on average down to 20 minutes on a cross country trip (250kwh speeds). Check out https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ and see what is waiting for you. And it keeps getting better and with the acquisition of Maxwell Technologies, it's only going to get better, like a Million Mile Battery Life better. No more range anxiety, a thing of the past.

The Model 3 is great and we have our name in the hat for the CyberTruck, with 0 to 60 in 2.9, sweet.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=c835a3f2-1d5b-40dd-856d-c63b6f77be44

Sadly Nissan dealerships lack of excitement has not helped things in the USA. I was actually told at one dealership that buying back my car would be as cheap for Nissan as it was to replace the battery. I have decided the low end Tesla is a lot more car than a high end Leaf. There is no price difference. I have been driving Nissan since 1973 but I am starting to read Nissan had a lot of loss motion at the top that may lead it its death. If they could only have had a CEO with the brains and foresight of Elon Musk. Hopefully Nissan will find a way forward but your posts shows they have wasted a lot of good will of EV buyers.

"I know people will argue the charging times hold us back and that would be wrong. It is the inadequate charging network holding us back. If we have a certain level of confidence we could go somewhere and plugin, it would be a completely different ballgame."

Come over to Tesla, the electrons are fine and flowing from coast to coast. In the first nine months of 2019 Tesla with just Model 3 sales topped 158K vs. only 12K for Nissan LEAF.

Eyeresearch said:
"I know people will argue the charging times hold us back and that would be wrong. It is the inadequate charging network holding us back. If we have a certain level of confidence we could go somewhere and plugin, it would be a completely different ballgame."

Come over to Tesla, the electrons are fine and flowing from coast to coast. In the first nine months of 2019 Tesla with just Model 3 sales topped 158K vs. only 12K for Nissan LEAF.

I read a review for A Better Route Planner. It sounded positive but will have to wait to try it until my range of 60 miles gets resolved.

DougWantsALeaf said:

He said "timid sales" Tesla Model 3 in the first nine months of 2019 sold 158K cars. I gave up looking down the road for the "new and improved "next gen platform" sorry, jump over to Tesla, it's a quick way to get there and no range anxiety.

Back