TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they will be back for more for
Sure. Anyone wonder where these deep losses are funded. It’s not just dumb retail investors.

iPlug said:
Shorts lost $2.5 billion today, $8 billion so far about a month into this year.

There must be major companies trying to slow down Tesla for some reason to drop millions. I heard some short sellers being interviewed. I wonder if they actually believe the BS they spit out

ABG:
Tesla directors settle SolarCity lawsuit, leaving Elon Musk the lone defendant
Other parties settle, leaving Musk to face the music
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/02/tesla-solar-city-elon-musk/

Directors of Tesla Inc settled a shareholder lawsuit over the company's 2016 acquisition of SolarCity Corp, leaving Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk as the lone defendant facing claims that Tesla paid $2.6 billion for a worthless solar energy system installer, according to court documents.

The $60 million settlement comes as a 10-day trial is scheduled to start on March 16 in Delaware in which shareholders seek $2.6 billion in damages, the entire cost of the SolarCity deal. . . .

Tesla shareholders have alleged Musk breached his fiduciary duties, squandered Tesla's assets and unjustly enriched himself by pushing to buy the money-losing solar company in which he was the biggest investor.

The settlement covered five current directors: Robyn Denholm, Ira Ehrenpreis, Antonio Gracias, Stephen Jurvetson and Kimbal Musk. Brad Buss, who was a director at the time of the SolarCity deal, was also part of the settlement, which was paid from insurance policies, according to court documents.

"Plaintiffs probably think they have a cleaner shot on the merits if the only issues they have to raise are with Elon Musk and Elon Musk's actions," said Brian Quinn, a professor at Boston College Law School. . . .

webb14leafs said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Many things when he's said them are so preposterous as to be clearly untrue and impossible, and roundly mocked the day the statements are made. Last year was probably the peak of this. Will be interesting to see how 2020 pans out.

Hate to poke the bear, but can you be more specific? Not meeting planned milestones doesn't make someone a liar.
It does if when you say them you know there is no way they will happen.

I find it really unbelievable some of you think he is not just an abject liar. Robotaxi fleet 1M cars in 2020, teslas that supposedly appreciate multiple times over their life. These are not moon shots. They are just lies. And are roundly mocked when stated, so it's not like anybody (including musk) believes them when he says them.

Stock up another $100 premarket. Completely abdicated from reality.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Could this be a massive short squeeze taking place? Either way, it's going to be a heck of a rollercoaster ride.

IMO, the "short squeeze" talk is bogus. What's happening now is just panic buying (not by shorts) and speculation - just like Bitcoin way back in December 2017.

It may hit $1-2k, but my guess is that it'll be below $400 by March. I'm not placing any bets, though... :shock:

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
webb14leafs said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Many things when he's said them are so preposterous as to be clearly untrue and impossible, and roundly mocked the day the statements are made. Last year was probably the peak of this. Will be interesting to see how 2020 pans out.

Hate to poke the bear, but can you be more specific? Not meeting planned milestones doesn't make someone a liar.
It does if when you say them you know there is no way they will happen.

I find it really unbelievable some of you think he is not just an abject liar. Robotaxi fleet 1M cars in 2020, teslas that supposedly appreciate multiple times over their life. These are not moon shots. They are just lies. And are roundly mocked when stated, so it's not like anybody (including musk) believes them when he says them.

Did you spray paint the lens of your glasses black?

Have you looked at the quality of buyers?

Tesla is not a car company. Look at the cars as no more than computer cases to sell technology needed to get to Mars and live on Mars.

coleafrado said:
IMO, the "short squeeze" talk is bogus. What's happening now is just panic buying (not by shorts) and speculation - just like Bitcoin way back in December 2017.

It may hit $1-2k, but my guess is that it'll be below $400 by March. I'm not placing any bets, though... :shock:

It's probably all of the above. The short squeeze is definitely happening, but can't be credited with all of this gain. Hysteria/FOMO is probably most of it. Have to say, though, that their forward P/E is around 100, which isn't as insane as you would think.

GaleHawkins said:
Tesla is not a car company. Look at the cars as no more than computer cases to sell technology needed to get to Mars and live on Mars.
Thinking of SpaceX?

Tesla is mostly a car company, and its future depends on domination of the car market, at least in the USA. Outside the USA, Tesla will need to compete, and will be less profitable.

The thing is, when you're comparing Tesla to Amazon on the basis of their P/E and their minimal profits - demand for cars is no where near as constant as the demand for the millions of products Amazon sells. Sure, infinite growth and perfect balance of income and capital expenditure works for Amazon, but for a company selling cars... overexpansion can mean death, and fast.

Amazon was mostly a book seller in its early days. Not great margins or large market potential to capture on that alone. Others saw where Amazon was headed and were well rewarded for foresight.

coleafrado said:
The thing is, when you're comparing Tesla to Amazon on the basis of their P/E and their minimal profits - demand for cars is no where near as constant as the demand for the millions of products Amazon sells. Sure, infinite growth and perfect balance of income and capital expenditure works for Amazon, but for a company selling cars... overexpansion can mean death, and fast.

Much of Amazon's value comes from nothing to do with product sales. That is a low margin business. Their recent growth has been fueled by AWS and service sales. Tesla's valuation is speculating the a similar evolution will occur with them. I don't think they can justify much more growth as just a car company.

jlv said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Could this be a massive short squeeze taking place? Either way, it's going to be a heck of a rollercoaster ride.
I think that's part of it. Now the stock is $900.

Puts have actually increased in price in some cases since open this morning, because the stock's volatility is so high now risk abounds for anybody selling puts or calls.

I thought this stock was overpriced at $400 and even $300 and plainly said as much. Going long TSLA at $900 is absolutely insane. It must be a combo of short squeeze and newbies jumping in (apparently 12,000 people on robinhood bought tsla for first time yesterday).

WetEV said:
GaleHawkins said:
Thinking of SpaceX?

Tesla is mostly a car company, and its future depends on domination of the car market, at least in the USA. Outside the USA, Tesla will need to compete, and will be less profitable.

Actually I was thinking about you painting the lens of your internet glasses black?

Musk's goal to remove the need for fossil fuels as much as possible is what drives him and therefore his many industries.

Have you seen the plans for the Tesla Semi on Mars? Solar power is the main power source in space. How many tankers of gas and diesel have been sent by rockets to the International Space Station?

The Tesla car is leading to better battery packs for space and more efficiency of electric motors that are be used on Mars.

As of today Tesla has no competition that has beat the range of their 2012 Model S car. VW wants to compete against Tesla and are following Musk's lead on how to build car plants using machines to build the machines.

Have you looked at Tesla's plans to change aviation with planned electric planes that need no airports that take up so much land and uses so much fossil fuel.

If Tesla's stock makes it to $1200 a share this month a 50% retracement back to $400 would be expected but that will still leave it at $800.

Have you read Ashlee Vance's 2015 book about Elon Musk and what makes him tick? Consider reading it so you sound more informed on the subject of this thread. It is NOT money that dives Musk except he knows he needs money if he wants to live and die on Mars.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
(apparently 12,000 people on robinhood bought tsla for first time yesterday).
Sadly, those people might learn the hard way the answer to "How do you make a small fortune in the stock market?".
(spoiler: start with a large fortune)

iPlug said:
Not selling any here, but plan to buy more if large “correction”.

Good strategy. I might regret selling, but I'm confident it will end up below current price at some point in the near future.

GaleHawkins said:
WetEV said:
Thinking of SpaceX?

Actually I was thinking about you painting the lens of your internet glasses black?

Musk's goal to remove the need for fossil fuels as much as possible is what drives him and therefore his many industries.
Musk's public facing goals and Musk's private goals are different.

Starship fuel is liquid methane and liquid oxygen. Methane is mostly a fossil fuel. It take a huge amount of methane to lift Starship into orbit. A huge amount of fossil fuel. And for building a city on Mars, a huge number of rocket trips.

Mars or fossil fuel reduction? Pick one.

Back