LEAF won't go into Drive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right as usual, guys. I just tried it again. Foot on brake, turn on power, read SOC. Try to turn off, and you just get beeped at. Take big foot off brake, and car shuts off normally.

OK, here's one I haven't seen mentioned: I can hear the car talking with Mother. Parked under sunshade, blower and audio off, when I ask Carwings for an update, I hear a little 'rotta rotta' sound from behind the dash. It's only there when car is trying to communicate. Reminds me of an old-fashioned telegrapher, sending Morse code. There's absolutely no reason for a cellular modem to make noise, but my LEAF's does.

I think I need a flow diagram, detailing the numerous power on modes. We knew it was complex; people started muttering back when Mike first unveiled the downloadable owners manual. The manual refers to at least four different states for the power button.

Have you noticed how the car beeps once at you after you get in and it recognizes the fob? I tried it w/o fob just to make sure that was what the beep meant. Ah, life with computers!

kolmstead said:
OK, here's one I haven't seen mentioned: I can hear the car talking with Mother. Parked under sunshade, blower and audio off, when I ask Carwings for an update, I hear a little 'rotta rotta' sound from behind the dash. It's only there when car is trying to communicate. Reminds me of an old-fashioned telegrapher, sending Morse code. There's absolutely no reason for a cellular modem to make noise, but my LEAF's does.
Yup ... I often do web-browser CarWings refresh, and early on I would check on the car sitting in the garage on the other side of the wall. Sure enough, there's that odd sound Karl describes (rather well).

mwalsh said:
BTW, what I do to allow the car time to "boot" is I start the car before putting my seatbelt on. By the time I've done that, the car is generally ready to go.

I do the same. Get in, foot on brake, press button, put seat belt on, put in D/R, push e-brake off, foot off brake and go.

Do we actually know what OS the LEAF uses or is it an industrial-specific coding and not a true OS at all?

garygid said:
I suspect few have described the boot-up time for an MS OS as "fast", although occasionally one hears "faster than". :lol:

mogur said:
Do we actually know what OS the LEAF uses or is it an industrial-specific coding and not a true OS at all?
Cars usually have their own manufacturer specific "OS" - it would be a realtime OS - not a general purpose one like Windows or Linux.

Apart from that, entertainment, bluetooth etc can have its own OS - like the Windows CE that Ford Sync has.

kolmstead said:
OK, here's one I haven't seen mentioned: I can hear the car talking with Mother. Parked under sunshade, blower and audio off, when I ask Carwings for an update, I hear a little 'rotta rotta' sound from behind the dash.... There's absolutely no reason for a cellular modem to make noise, but my LEAF's does.
What you're probably hearing is the GSM traffic burst being picked up by the car's audio amplifiers and soundsystem.

You can hear something similar if you set your GSM phone near a speakerphone or amplified speakers.

(CDMA phones don't do this)

So, with the car "OFF" (or Charging), the LEAF's audio amplifier remains ON?

And, the LEAF's "cell phone" (data) connection or antenna is not sufficiently isolated from the audio system?

GroundLoop said:
kolmstead said:
OK, here's one I haven't seen mentioned: I can hear the car talking with Mother. Parked under sunshade, blower and audio off, when I ask Carwings for an update, I hear a little 'rotta rotta' sound from behind the dash.... There's absolutely no reason for a cellular modem to make noise, but my LEAF's does.
What you're probably hearing is the GSM traffic burst being picked up by the car's audio amplifiers and soundsystem.
I am hearing it OUTSIDE the car; only opening the door to the garage and staring at the front of the car from 6-8 feet away. The car is NOT "on" (other than what it does while being plugged in).

GroundLoop is probably right; I hear the same sound from headsets at work when somebody's cell phone is too close to the headset cable. But it isn't the "audio" system; it happens even when audio is turned off. It could be the pedestrian warning system, or one of the other systems equipped with speakers. This car has more beeps, cheeps and chimes than any three cars need. I haven't noticed it from outside the car (too noisy out there?), but it seems to be coming from behind the dash when I'm inside.

mogur said:

garygid said:
I suspect few have described the boot-up time for an MS OS as "fast", although occasionally one hears "faster than". :lol:
My understanding is that it is indeed a Windows variant (at least for the Nav system)...Heaven help us all! :(

LEAFer said:
GroundLoop said:
kolmstead said:
... when I ask Carwings for an update, I hear a little 'rotta rotta' sound from behind the dash.... There's absolutely no reason for a cellular modem to make noise, but my LEAF's does.
(We are wandering OT ...) I am hearing it OUTSIDE the car; only opening the door to the garage and staring at the front of the car from 6-8 feet away.
I recorded the sounds while doing two actions on the car. It's definitely MUCH louder inside than outside. So what I am hearing outside is strong enough to filter into the quiet garage from the inside. And, yes I agree, sounds like a GSM cell phone near a stereo system. I have heard this sound at someones house even with the audio system turned off while his GSM cell was very nearby a speaker.

kolmstead said:
Right as usual, guys. I just tried it again. Foot on brake, turn on power, read SOC. Try to turn off, and you just get beeped at. Take big foot off brake, and car shuts off normally.

Nissan has used an Intelligent Key with push button start in many of their vehicles for many years. Nissan programs the usage for typical user's behaviors - such as starting your car and driving it. The behavior that you described above is not typical. The reason the car did not turn off when you pressed the button is because it is programmed to not turn off in that scenario. Think of it like this - you start your car and start driving. Someone accidently pushes the start/stop button. You really don't want the car to be turned off while you are driving, so pushing the button once will not turn off the car while it is in motion. (I realize that you were not moving in the above scenario, but again, more typical is to start the car and drive away which is what the programming is designed to accommodate.)

Let's say that you are driving and there is an emergency that requires you to turn off the car while it is in motion. Pressing the button once will not turn off the car. It could have been an accidental touch. Pressing the button three times in rapid succession, (as in, I REALLY NEED TO TURN THIS CAR OFF NOW!) would work. Also, just pressing and holding the start/stop button down for 2 seconds will work. Some other manufacturer's offer just one or the other alternative as a panic shut off mode. Nissan says either should work so that is how it's programmed. All of these are discussed in the quick reference guide as well as the owner's manual.

Actually, starting the car is pretty simple too - step on the brake and push the start button. It is unfortunate that it seems if you do these in reverse order strange things happen. Then again, Japanese engineers probably don't think that people will push the start button, then step on the brake.

Back