charging with a dedicated 220v line

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichB1

I have been charging my used 2016 Leaf since I got it five days ago on a 120v line. Two questions:

Is it better to use a dedicated 220v line to charge the car?
If I install a dedicated 220v line, do I need a different cord?

Thanks.

It's actually 240V in the US, not 220V.

If you can charge enough to meet your needs with 120V there is no downside to 120V except that the charger and its cooling system are running longer for the same amount of charge. Charging at very high rates can increase battery degradation but I'd guess the difference in 120V and 240V charging is insignificant for the battery, since both are quite slow compared to max rate the battery is designed for.

Whether or not you need a different cord to charge at 240V depends on what cord you have now. If you are using the Nissan supplied cord that originally came with the Leaf, it is designed for 120V only. It can be opened up and converted to 240V capability but as shipped, it is 120V only.

goldbrick said:
Charging at very high rates can increase battery degradation but I'd guess the difference in 120V and 240V charging is insignificant for the battery, since both are quite slow compared to max rate the battery is designed for.
Just to be clear: you do not need to worry about any significant battery degradation when considering charging at 240V as opposed to 120V.

To even mention such a possibility is likely to confuse someone.

Charging at 240v is more efficient and also works better for preheating the car, if you plan on using that feature and yes, more than likely you'll need a different EVSE, they start around $200 for a cheap Chinese made L2 16a model and go to over $500 for more options and higher charging current.

Yes 240v is better. More efficient. Will it ever pay for itself... maybe not. Faster charging is more convenient and your ownership experience should improve.

Yes you will probably need a different cord assuming you are using the included oem L1.

Back