2019 Leaf S Plus Heater

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There should not be a need to run the AC in the winter time to defrost/keep clear the windshield, when I have to run the "defrost only" mode I turn off the AC right away, that way it can use both the heat-pump and PTC. Having the AC run is something you need in the summer time, though I do wish the Leaf would pick AC on/off by looking at the outside temperature, but I imagine Nissan just turns them both on by default for user reasons should someone not know how to use the system more efficiently.

knightmb said:
There should not be a need to run the AC in the winter time to defrost/keep clear the windshield, when I have to run the "defrost only" mode I turn off the AC right away, that way it can use both the heat-pump and PTC. Having the AC run is something you need in the summer time, though I do wish the Leaf would pick AC on/off by looking at the outside temperature, but I imagine Nissan just turns them both on by default for user reasons should someone not know how to use the system more efficiently.

Two points: first, the heat pump and PTC do both run when both Heat and A/C are on - I don't know why you think you need to turn the A/C off for that to happen. In fact, when you turn off the A/C in that scenario, the system just chooses what combination of PTC and heat pump to use. Ah, now I get it: you want to get heat from both sources, and hopefully reduce power consumption. That would depend on the temperature.

Second: Whenever it isn't far below Freezing in Winter, the A/C defogs the windows much faster than heat alone. When it's raining and 35 or 40 degrees, I run both, and that works much better.

knightmb said:

Yes, you need the a/c on in the winter to defrost. It takes the humidity out of the air.

Overall, winter in an EV is always going to have a hit at range. I would say that even if you use it at 68 degrees, with one bar of fan, and do not go over 60 mph, you will be using 20% to 25% of the battery for heat. (at best).

So, if your car gets 200 miles of range, You have to calculate the range. E.g., If you drive 100 miles, then you will be ending at only 80 miles left of range (at best). (100 miles driven plus 20 miles given for heat). What the original poster wrote does not sound out of the average.

Driving an EV is not an exercise in performance.. It is an excercise in "conservation"...

When it is below freezing there is almost no humidity in air. There is inside the car.

Fact is I live in really s****ty climate and I almost NEVER use compressor for defrosting.
Only when it actually rains and it is very damp inside/outside.
Though it's always above zero outside then and HVAC power draw is subtle.

Update
Yesterday Drove my car in sub 25 Degree weather 200 miles with a charge 225 showing at the start
Roundtrip on the interstate cruise control at 65 heater used
sparingly with Flannel Jeans and shirt on no Coat and wool cap
Heated seat on with steering wheel heat on and had about 15 miles left
of charge according to the Cars dash board indicator i was alone
I guess that was not bad but i was colder than i would have liked to be
This is my third leaf and i notice they fog up quickly in cold weather
the windows I'm talking about so i crack the rear window open a bit
to help this problem then the car is noisier inside from the wind
I tried out a hybrid heater SV plus and it draws the same amount
as my s plus at full charge 225 showing then the mileage on each car drops 30 miles
when the heat is turned on in either car with Radiant heat or Hybrid heat
either way if your going to use the heaters on both cars you not going the full
advertised mileage of 225 i have charged my leaf plus up to 274 when it was warmer out
that was a surprise but as the cold set in it went to 254 now that it is cold 225
My car is always outside no garage its in the driveway in all weather

There are a few things that you can try, like using Partial Recirculate with the vent on Floor+Defrost and the fan on the lowest setting, and blocking the rear seat vent if you don't carry back seat passengers. You should also close the front passenger mid-level vents as much as they can close them if you drive alone. Take our word for it: the hybrid heater gets much more range when temps are cold but above freezing, and somewhat more range when the temps are above about 24F.

Please do not crack windows - there are vents at the back of the vehicle - air will exit at will without opening windows.
Cracking window will just reduce cabin temperature and ruin aerodynamics.
If it fogs up then reduce recirculation (press fresh air) and direct all to defrost for few minutes,
fan 2 bars for example.Then push auto back and reduce fan to 2 or 1.

Also stop looking at range numbers. These have nothing to do with real life.
Open Range Map on the NAV. Look at the smaller number - that range number is estimate according to last trips, real range.

Radiotron I would say that you are very lucky to get 200 miles at 25 degrees in a Plus S. I have gotten as few as 150 in the same car at 10 to 15 degrees, maybe I keep it warmer in the cabin- are your tires the high efficiency ones such as Ecopia?

Thanks for all the tips Gentleman you all have different theories
i have 17" michelin tires on SV/LE Factory Rims From my 2019 SL i Traded toward a 2015 S Plus
I have tried all different combinations with the heater settings
after driving my 2105 for 4 winners and now Having This S Plus model
with The Extra Range it really boils down to if you have to make an extended
Trip in cold weather your not going to be warm thats what i have found
in both leafs i have had you guys have made a lot of points and suggestions
If i don't crack open my windows then all the glass fogs up unless i turn on
the heat somewhere in this forum i read about a fellow using a product
to remove moisture in the air of the cabin with an item used in moist basements
and he keeps it in his cargo area Is That a true statement
Would somebody like to list the best Things to do
when driving an S Plus in 25 and below degrees?
Maybe a solar panel for the heater would be good on sunny days
My Flannel Pants two Shirts and Warm boots is what i have been doing since 2015

radiotron said:
I have a Question
I have a Leaf S Plus With the radiant heater and winter package heated seats and steering wheel
Why does the mileage Drop from 225 Charged To 190 Miles Thats 35 miles When The Heater is Turned On?
I Had A 2015 Leaf S and the Mileage Same Heater Radiant on that and Dropped 15 Miles when Turned On
I figured they would have done something about that on the plus models
we are having cold weather in the Northeast 25 Degrees during the day 5 degrees at night
Is my question Reasonable i lived with the 2015 for 4 years with Heated seats on and Heated wheel on
What would i expect with a hybrid heater in an SV plus?

The drop is a "prediction" and nothing more. Could be less, could be more. FYI; like EVERYTHING Nissan does, the estimate GREATLY errs on the conservative side.

As far as your 2015 comment; Not understanding the confusion. Take the ratio of pack sizes into consideration.

radiotron said:
Today
I left the House with 227 miles this morning
i drove 70 miles with heat on and defrost it was about 10 degrees
and used them sparingly on the trip
I drove a total of 70 miles round trip
when i came home i was down to 103 miles 60 percent charge left
Does that make sense? It seems like a lot of power used?

Does it make sense to use the GOM?
No, it doesn't. Get LEAF Spy and monitor your driving a bit to get a line on your expected efficiency. Its much easier to do than it sounds.

Then use LEAF Spy to see how much range you are expecting that day based on your weather expectations comparing numbers at the beginning and end of the trip.

Why?

LEAF Spy only uses a constant to figure out range. GOM uses a variable which is your driving. Now that would imply GOM is more accurate but it isn't. On my daily trips to work, I average about 3.6 miles/kwh going, 4.2 miles/kwh returning. If I charge car overnight, what will GOM reflect?

The 4.2

With LEAF Spy you can use the 3.9 miles/kwh daily average

Back