2019 Leaf battery overheating

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Given your name, you may want to correct your units of measure. I'm sure that others will bring them up.

Lol. I wonder which ones? I did make a mistake with the power per unit of mass: it's 170 W/kg. The other mistake is that one has to leave a space between numerals and the unit of measure. Anything else I missed?

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
I assume that you meant a "90kwh pack."

Sounds like he was talking charging speed.

Indeed i was referring to 90 kW charge power not 90 kWh battery capacity.
90 kW is the "minimum" that a Tesla supercharges at. 150 kW is the max for M3 of this generation. Tesla is looking at technologies for even faster charging powers.
The only time the power decreases is when its approaching full battery. IDK exactly the curve but nothing I would be worried about. I mostly supercharge to 90%.
At home the max is 48A @ 240V which is 11.5 kW. As I mentioned earlier I only use my "old" Siemens charger which puts out 7 kW and is enough for our daily needs. I frankly don't care if it takes an extra hour overnight to charge.

I am hearing the Audi e-tron on EA ccs chargers can beat Tesla in charging speed. A Tesla is more affordable of course.

Back on the 2019 LEAF thanks to EA we get in the 70s, I heard a rumor EvGo was finally deploying 100kw Chademo if that is true I hope a LEAF plus tries it so we can see what the real max charging speed of a LEAF Plus is. One of the forum members here thinks they read in the real world that the LEAF Plus maxes out around 80kw in the real world. I have just yet to run into anyone who found a charger fast enough to test it. Around 75kw is still not bad to me. I have had people (who have never driven an EV) claim (to me) that they require less than 15 minute charging to get back on the road. I try to tell them that most of their charging could be at home so it does not take any waiting at all but then they are like that once a year road trip. I am like have lunch, take a small walk.

salyavin said:
I am hearing the Audi e-tron on EA ccs chargers can beat Tesla in charging speed. A Tesla is more affordable of course.

That seems correct from what I read. Apparently they did away with the throttling near full battery and although the Tesla has faster speeds, overall the e--Tron finishes faster.

However, I supercharged 4 times in the 2 months we had it. It's a breeze. I'm not at all worried about whatever difference this makes. Tesla's Supercharger network puts everything else to shame at the moment. No matter what the e-tron can do it will take a long time to build a ccs network to beat Tesla's. I simply can go anywhere without worry just like having an ICE car.

The onboard computer even tells me how many chargers are occupied/available. When I tell it to navigate to a charger it starts conditioning the battery (whatever that means) to prepare it for supercharging. It's night/day difference from the Leaf.

My record is briefly 77 on a plus on an EA.

EA has been building faster than Tesla for now, most of that is because of dieselgate not just because they want to push EVs like Tesla. Tesla of course still wins as they can use superchargers AND EA, Evgo, chargepoint etc.. One bit of feedback to give Tesla is please release a 100kw Chademo adapter as you will charge faster which gets you back on the road faster and of course being charged by time it helps to get out sooner.

Yeah, I think that would be another feather in Tesla's cap if they did. It would add 50% to their charging speeds at EA stops and some of the new EVgo stops.

With some of the new state programs coming online (ex. look at IOWA on plughare), Chademo is really continuing to expanding pretty quickly in terms of availability. CCS still has advantage at the EA stops, but with the redundancy of the new stops, I now have confidence to travel across much of the US on Chademo. In some places (like western MN) Tesla's dominate the Chademo usage. Oddy, they with Nissan and Mitsubishi are keeping the standard expanding.

salyavin said:
One bit of feedback to give Tesla is please release a 100kw Chademo adapter as you will charge faster which gets you back on the road faster and of course being charged by time it helps to get out sooner.

I live in PA and don't know how it is in other states but personally i would not go for a Chademo adapter for my M3 for several reasons:
1. Tesla superchargers are way more available. Chademo is scarce.
2. Adapters are super expensive at tesla and i would not buy aftermarket.
3. Prices at EA are double than what I pay at tesla. I still have free miles but even if I have to pay, prices are between 22 and 25 c/kWh
4. Many if not most non-Tesla chargers have 30 min time limits on them.
5. Tesla chargers go up to 150 kW, and most are 90 kW which is not a big difference from 100.

Tesla superchargers are way more available. Chademo is scarce.
*This is largely location based.

3. Prices at EA are double than what I pay at tesla. I still have free miles but even if I have to pay, prices are between 22 and 25 c/kWh
EA pricing in PA is .25 and .18 per kilowatt. (without and with the plan). Chademo is always charged at the lowest tier, even when charging above 75 KW (with the Leaf Plus). in the first 30% of the charge I can get 1.5 KW per minute putting the rate at .16 or .12 per kWh, much lower than what you are paying.. many Chademos in my area are still free, which even a bigger boost.

4. Many if not most non-Tesla chargers have 30 min time limits on them
That's mainly EVGO. EA does not have those limits.

5. Tesla chargers go up to 150 kW, and most are 90 kW which is not a big difference from 100.
Tesla goes up to 250 for the V3 chargers. 100 vs 50 is a big difference. 200 vs 50 is a really big difference. 100 vs 75 is not such a pain most of the time, as charge tapering will override in the top half of the charge.

DougWantsALeaf said:
EA pricing in PA is .25 and .18 per kilowatt. (without and with the plan).
Huh? https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing shows them charging per minute in PA. Are you talking about an effective price per kilowatt-hour when within a certain charge rate band?
DougWantsALeaf said:
in the first 30% of the charge I can get 1.5 KW per minute
Huh? You mean 1.5 kWh each minute? 1.5 kW charge rate is painfully slow and not much better than L1 (120 volts * 12 amps = 1440 watts = 1.44 kW)

Chademo is charged at the lowest power tier at all times, look again at that web site look at the bottom power tier. That is the rate you would be charged. If Tesla made a 100kw Chademo adapter you could expect to easily get 75kw out of Chademo and be charged at the lowest tier. I have got up to 77kw out of EA. EA charges less than Tesla but due to the speed of your adapter you would probably pay more as it takes longer to charge depending on how much of a charge you needed.

EA is building like crazy and I personally know Tesla drivers who had no choice but to use EA on road trips, albeit typically only one station. Tesla does have plans to build in some of the areas of interest but not all of them. Your advantage as a Tesla owner is you can use both superchargers and all other charging providers. Perhaps you stay within a dense area and are not a road tripper or refuse to use other chargers, that is your choice but you have a superpower I do not have you can use them all.

cwerdna said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
EA pricing in PA is .25 and .18 per kilowatt. (without and with the plan).
Huh? https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing shows them charging per minute in PA. Are you talking about an effective price per kilowatt-hour when within a certain charge rate band?
DougWantsALeaf said:
in the first 30% of the charge I can get 1.5 KW per minute
Huh? You mean 1.5 kWh each minute? 1.5 kW charge rate is painfully slow and not much better than L1 (120 volts * 12 amps = 1440 watts = 1.44 kW)

Definitely some typo's there. Can't get 1.5 kwh per minute anyway. That's 90 KW and not happening especially at that low SOC.

Learjet said:
No heat issues charging my 2019 Leaf Plus 62 kwh

You state that your battery temp stayed the about same. Your battery temp went from about 85F to over 100F,
as indicated by the bar graph, check your video. That's what usually occurs when using L3 versus L1/L2.

lorenfb said:
Learjet said:
No heat issues charging my 2019 Leaf Plus 62 kwh

You state that your battery temp stayed the about same. Your battery temp went from about 85F to over 100F,
as indicated by the bar graph, check your video. That's what usually occurs when using L3 versus L1/L2.

Not sure what you are trying to nit pick...but I clearly showed it increased in the video...and remained at the level even after driving it back home.

Once again my comment was "no heat issues charging my......" I never said it didn't increase....I see no issues with that temp level.

Back