TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Just initiated the 2020 contribution process for the “backdoor Roth” IRA for myself and spouse. Takes a few days, but good to have the cash in the Roth account ready to buy more TSLA long term on future “corrections”.

goldbrick said:
Will there be tulips on Mars?
For those who don't get that reference, see https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/12/jpmorgan-ceo-jamie-dimon-raises-flag-on-trading-revenue-sees-20-percent-fall-for-the-third-quarter.html. This is when cryptocurrencies were just going up and up. I hadn't known about the tulip bulb craze until that was mentioned.
GaleHawkins said:
Have you seen the plans for the Tesla Semi on Mars? Solar power is the main power source in space. How many tankers of gas and diesel have been sent by rockets to the International Space Station?

The Tesla car is leading to better battery packs for space and more efficiency of electric motors that are be used on Mars.
Are you conflating two separate companies: Tesla and SpaceX?

Why would you send gasoline and diesel to the ISS? Internal combustion engines require burning of oxygen w/the fuel to provide motive force. You'd be burning up what little oxygen there is in the space station or need to generate it via other means. Would good would an ICE do at the ISS?

cwerdna said:
GaleHawkins said:
Have you seen the plans for the Tesla Semi on Mars? Solar power is the main power source in space. How many tankers of gas and diesel have been sent by rockets to the International Space Station?

The Tesla car is leading to better battery packs for space and more efficiency of electric motors that are be used on Mars.
Are you conflating two separate companies: Tesla and SpaceX?

Why would you send gasoline and diesel to the ISS? Internal combustion engines require burning of oxygen w/the fuel to provide motive force. You'd be burning up what little oxygen there is in the space station or need to generate it via other means. Would good would an ICE do at the ISS?

The point Gale is making is that the ISS doesn't run on gas. It runs on electricity (and, inconveniently, hydrazine) - fuels of the future. With Tesla's electric powertrains and huge battery production capacity, they could afford to ship a fully sustainable ground transportation system to Mars on their Starship.

Others have brought up how batteries could store power for electric thrusters, but that's not a particularly convincing argument. Batteries don't have enough energy density to make the delta-v tradeoff work.

ABG:
Tesla prices $2 billion stock offering at $767 a share
Company also reveals the SEC had subpoenaed its financial information
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/14/tesla-stock-offering-sec-subpoena/

. . . Just two weeks ago, CEO Elon Musk said the company had enough cash to fund its capital programs and that it didn't need to raise any more money.

But Tesla is taking advantage of seemingly insatiable demand for its stock. Tesla shares have almost doubled since the start of the year, and it's quadrupled since June.

That demand continued to surge Thursday, even though issuing the additional 2.65 million shares could dilute the value of the 180 million shares now on the market.. Nonetheless, shares closed up another 5%.

In early trading Friday, shares of Tesla Inc. were essentially flat in light trading at around $806.

Tesla also said Thursday that its U.S. revenue fell last year and that securities regulators are scrutinizing its finances.

All of the developments were disclosed in filings with U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which in December subpoenaed financial data and contracts, including the company’s financing arrangements.

In a prepared statement, Tesla said Musk will buy $10 million worth of the stock while billionaire board member and Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison will buy shares worth $1 million. . . .

In the Thursday filing, Tesla said underwriters of the share sale have a 30-day option to buy another $300 million in common stock. The company estimated that the net proceeds from the sale would be $2.31 billion if the underwriters exercise the options. . . .

On the company’s fourth-quarter earnings conference call on Jan. 29, Musk was asked about raising capital since the stock had gone up so dramatically.

He replied that the company was spending money as fast as it could spend sensibly, yet it’s still generating cash. “So in light of that, it doesn’t make sense to raise money because we expect to generate cash despite this growth level,” he told analysts.

In a note to investors, Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives called the stock sale a smart move because the shares are in a strong position as electric vehicle demand is starting to reach an inflection point, with China as the main driver.

He also wrote that the sale removes a potential cash shortage down the road. “The bulls (which we agree with) will say this essentially rips the Band-Aid off and takes the doomsday cash crunch scenario some predicted down the road now off the table," Ives wrote.

Tesla also disclosed on Thursday in its annual report that the SEC subpoenaed information in December about the company's financing arrangements but gave no further details. . . .

Also in the annual report, Tesla disclosed that its U.S. revenue fell 15% last year to $12.65 billion, despite record vehicle sales. The U.S. is by far its largest market. But overall revenue rose nearly 15% to $24.58 billion on increases in China, the Netherlands and Norway.

The company said that at the end of last year it had 48,016 employees, 801 fewer than in 2018.

Tesla lost $862 million last year and has never posted an annual profit. But it made $105 million in the fourth quarter. At the end of last year, it had $6.27 billion in cash and equivalents on hand, almost 70% better than at the close of 2018. But its debt grew from $9.4 billion at the end of 2018 to $11.6 billion in December of 2019.

The future looks bright... If Tesla can become another monopoly.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/2/18/21126347/antitrust-monopolies-internet-telecommunications-cheerleading

... a broader trend that all Americans should be aware of — and angry about. Across industry after industry, sector after sector, power and market share have been consolidated into the hands of a handful of players.

WetEV said:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/2/18/21126347/antitrust-monopolies-internet-telecommunications-cheerleading

... a broader trend that all Americans should be aware of — and angry about. Across industry after industry, sector after sector, power and market share have been consolidated into the hands of a handful of players.

That quote is true, but I would say that Tesla is overcoming more monopolistic practices than it is creating. There's a difference between legitimately dominating a market and being a monopoly.

webb14leafs said:
WetEV said:

That quote is true, but I would say that Tesla is overcoming more monopolistic practices than it is creating. There's a difference between legitimately dominating a market and being a monopoly.

Tesla is no way a monopoly but is setting standards in auto and space by being a doer.

webb14leafs said:
Auto dealers are a good example of where Tesla is overcoming a current monopolistic practice. Yes, the glass is half full.

Automobiles are a market with high barriers to entry, and profits that increase with volume.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_monopoly

EVs are more so, especially with proprietary charging networks.

In any large market there is a tendency toward consolidation into a few strong members at the expense of the smaller players. The larger companies either buy out smaller companies to gain mass or undersell them and drive them out of business using economies of scale. The field narrows down to a few strong companies fighting for market share. Tesla is disruptive in this regard because their product strips customers from a stagnant pool. Those customers are not going back to ICE's. The automobile industry is just starting to wake up to this fact and it scares them to hell. With hundreds of billions of dollars invested in equipment to build ICE's. they face the question of reworking or scrapping much of their equipment and converting to EV production or trying to continue selling an inferior product.

Tesla doesn't have any such problem and is open to new manufacturing techniques and unusual solutions (massive tents, anyone?). They brought nearly all their component manufacturing in-house to reduce costs and improve quality. The Gigafactory is the result of careful engineering and design choices. Tesla will only become a monopoly if old line automobile companies decide not to compete. So far the only company to recognize this is VW. Ford and GM are tentatively sticking their corporate toes in the water but refuse to commit. Nissan had an Idea but never really followed through and now they may be too late and have squandered their lead and reputation in the process.

johnlocke said:
They brought nearly all their component manufacturing in-house to reduce costs and improve quality.
Source? To what level do you define "components"? Let's set aside seats and batteries. Are you telling me they also manufacture their own glass, semiconductors, switch gear (e.g. switch and buttons), resistors, bearings, headlight and taillight assemblies, bulbs, capacitors, struts for the trunk/hatch and frunk, glass, wiring harnesses, struts, power steering racks (including boots, shafts, motors), AC compressors, heaters, hoses, tubes, tires (definitely not), wheels, fabrics, fasteners (e.g. plastic ones, screws, bolts, nuts, etc.)?

johnlocke said:
In any large market there is a tendency toward consolidation into a few strong members at the expense of the smaller players. The larger companies either buy out smaller companies to gain mass or undersell them and drive them out of business using economies of scale. The field narrows down to a few strong companies fighting for market share. Tesla is disruptive in this regard because their product strips customers from a stagnant pool. Those customers are not going back to ICE's. The automobile industry is just starting to wake up to this fact and it scares them to hell. With hundreds of billions of dollars invested in equipment to build ICE's. they face the question of reworking or scrapping much of their equipment and converting to EV production or trying to continue selling an inferior product.

Tesla doesn't have any such problem and is open to new manufacturing techniques and unusual solutions (massive tents, anyone?). They brought nearly all their component manufacturing in-house to reduce costs and improve quality. The Gigafactory is the result of careful engineering and design choices. Tesla will only become a monopoly if old line automobile companies decide not to compete. So far the only company to recognize this is VW. Ford and GM are tentatively sticking their corporate toes in the water but refuse to commit. Nissan had an Idea but never really followed through and now they may be too late and have squandered their lead and reputation in the process.

Spot on post. The last sentence makes me want to throw up but is so factual.

After 50 years of personally supporting Nissan's quality vehicles it was hard to accept they introduced the world to EV ownership only to be the gateway to Tesla's success story.

I was looking forward to driving the Ariya that now may never see the light of day.

When the 2014 video was posted the other day by a long time EV promoter referring to the Leaf as a car ahead of it's time it hit Carlos was no Elon.

johnlocke said:

Do include the proprietary charging network. This another tool for driving out competition. Far more powerful than economies of scale. Economy of scale is what allowed GM to reach 50% of the market, and restrict market share to avoid anti-trust action. One problem with monopolies and near monopolies ("oligopoly") is that they don't have to care... GM dominated...before imported cars that were better engineered. But would Toyota and others manage to get a foothold, if they couldn't fuel at US gas stations?

cwerdna said:
johnlocke said:
They brought nearly all their component manufacturing in-house to reduce costs and improve quality.
Source? To what level do you define "components"? Let's set aside seats and batteries. Are you telling me they also manufacture their own glass, semiconductors, switch gear (e.g. switch and buttons), resistors, bearings, headlight and taillight assemblies, bulbs, capacitors, struts for the trunk/hatch and frunk, glass, wiring harnesses, struts, power steering racks (including boots, shafts, motors), AC compressors, heaters, hoses, tubes, tires (definitely not), wheels, fabrics, fasteners (e.g. plastic ones, screws, bolts, nuts, etc.)?
Read Sandy Munro's Teardown Analysis. Note where he talks about the number of parts with Tesla logos. The heating and cooling system is unique to Tesla. Yes, they buy components from other manufacturers. If you build a house do you have to mill all the lumber and forge the nails in order to say you built it yourself? I honestly don't know if Tesla builds their own switches but they do build the computer and all the wiring harnesses. They buy the shocks and tires but build the rest of the suspension system. I suspect the brakes are manufactured by third parties as well. The computer was designed in house by the way as was the vision system.

WetEV said:
johnlocke said:

Do include the proprietary charging network. This another tool for driving out competition. Far more powerful than economies of scale. Economy of scale is what allowed GM to reach 50% of the market, and restrict market share to avoid anti-trust action. One problem with monopolies and near monopolies ("oligopoly") is that they don't have to care... GM dominated...before imported cars that were better engineered. But would Toyota and others manage to get a foothold, if they couldn't fuel at US gas stations?
The charging network is proprietary only in that other manufacturers declined to join. They were given an opportunity to join on reasonable terms. In any case we both know that most charging is done at home. CCS charging stations are becoming common now that VW is being forced to build them. Fault Ford and GM for failing to provide charging solutions sooner. Personally I would like to see Tesla add a CCS charging port for US vehicles like they do in Europe. Failing that, at least a CCS to Tesla converter plug would be nice. You are right in that I shouldn't have to rely on a single network.

johnlocke said:
The charging network is proprietary only in that other manufacturers declined to join. They were given an opportunity to join on reasonable terms. In any case we both know that most charging is done at home. CCS charging stations are becoming common now that VW is being forced to build them. Fault Ford and GM for failing to provide charging solutions sooner. Personally I would like to see Tesla add a CCS charging port for US vehicles like they do in Europe. Failing that, at least a CCS to Tesla converter plug would be nice. You are right in that I shouldn't have to rely on a single network.

The terms were not reasonable.

Would you pay to give information about your future plans to the competition?

Would you pay to give control over part of your business to the competition?

I give Elon a lot of credit for realizing how important changing networks could be, and how charging networks can be a huge competitive advantage. It might well make him the first trillionare.

GaleHawkins said:
After 50 years of personally supporting Nissan's quality vehicles it was hard to accept they introduced the world to EV ownership only to be the gateway to Tesla's success story.

I was looking forward to driving the Ariya that now may never see the light of day.

When the 2014 video was posted the other day by a long time EV promoter referring to the Leaf as a car ahead of it's time it hit Carlos was no Elon.

To me, Nissan always seemed of two minds concerning LEAF and I thought it odd until the mess with Carlos blew up.
Only a hunch, but I suspect the LEAF schizophrenia was evidence of the schism between Ghosn and Nissan executives as far back as LEAF launching, and only worsening over time. I think Ghosn himself had the vision but not the following.

WetEV said:
johnlocke said:

The terms were not reasonable.

Would you pay to give information about your future plans to the competition?

Would you pay to give control over part of your business to the competition?

I give Elon a lot of credit for realizing how important changing networks could be, and how charging networks can be a huge competitive advantage. It might well make him the first trillionare.
What terms would you consider reasonable? Would you expect the competition to open their network without charge or control? What would you consider a reasonable fee to use that infrastructure? You know, the one that Tesla built with their own money? The one that GM and Ford said should be built by a third party and that they said they didn't need to contribute to? Ford and GM could have come to an agreement with Tesla if they wanted to. They just wanted EV's to go away, so why pay for something that only encouraged EV use. The CCS standard is only there to fragment the market further. It was chosen only because it wasn't Tesla or Chademo. Why have two standards when you can have three instead? Unless of course you intend to fragment the market further.

Oh yeah they have a monopoly--a monopoly on patents for EVs.

Which of the auto makers posted all their patents online and said they would make them available to use for NO COST?

Everyone else is at least 10 years behind and they have no clue about lithium batteries, or charging, or thermal management, etc. They don't even know what it is that they need to know, and are too proud to admit it or accept a generous offer from a technology disrupter.

Change, adapt or die--the books are filled with the names of companies that thought they were too big to fail and refused to believe this lesson of history.

Back