Lost Another Bar. Did My Actual Range Suddenly Decrease?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandrewk

Question re: range loss on 2012 Leaf. I was down three bars a day ago, and OBD reader showed 66% when fully charged. This morning it went down to four bars and shows 58% fully charged.

Is that a loss of actual range or did it simply recalibrate maximum range on the meter? IOW, did I just lose around 8 miles of range? I would think actual range loss would be very gradual.

It's critical for us, as my wife has just enough to get to work and back. If we lose 8 miles, it's a no-go.

The capacity bars are granular, but the range loss isn't. You have very nearly the same range as right before the bar "dropped," as we say. It's a gradual process, not a stepped one.

LeftieBiker said:
The capacity bars are granular, but the range loss isn't. You have very nearly the same range as right before the bar "dropped," as we say. It's a gradual process, not a stepped one.

Thanks. My concern was the bar loss came with a drop of 8% capacity per the OBD reader. So I suspect the data from the OBD port reflects the same capacity as the bar graph. The actual range loss basically hasn't changed overnight.

The BMS tends to stop updating the capacity in cold weather. If it was cold and you had a warmup, that could possibly account for the apparent large drop.

If your wife finishes the round trip commute at Low Battery Warning or Very Low Battery Warning, she needs to figure out where she can charge when it gets to the point of not completing the trip.

BillHolz said:
If your wife finishes the round trip commute at Low Battery Warning or Very Low Battery Warning, she needs to figure out where she can charge when it gets to the point of not completing the trip.
Actually, she needs a vehicle that will do what she needs done.

Dooglas said:
BillHolz said:
Actually, she needs a vehicle that will do what she needs done.

Agreed... If you are down to only having 8 miles of range to spare until turtle mode, then you really need a new car... or new battery.

Back