13-17 Leaf S Radio Install Guide

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
twizttid1 said:
OK - I had a bit of a *EUREKA* moment this evening while studying the pin diagrams and my wiring harnesseseseseses.
My mistake is I used the basic Metra 70-7552 wiring harness. It doesn't have anything in pins 6, 15 and 16 which are the very pins the steering wheel controls are coming through!!!
My plan is to replace my basic harness with the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 wiring harness (with the SWC wires I need to work with) and get it in after a whole lot of sniping. stripping and soldering.

Then looking at the AX-NIS32SWC-6V harness.... the 12 pin harness that goes into the ASWC-1 has the needed SWC pins grounded off together.

I will need to snip and splice into the wires of pin 5 & 11 of the AX-NIS32SWC-6V 12 pin harness and wire them into pins 6 & 16 of the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 respectively; while grounding pin 16 of the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 off.....

That **SHOULD** do the trick. I will report back if all goes well!

I may have made this similar mistake as well. Def interested in your results. Let us know.

rickymac54321 said:
I thought I’d post all of the parts that I used to install an aftermarket radio in my ‘13 Leaf. This works on the 13- 17 Leaf S. For the 16-17 Leaf S disregard the phone button retention harness as they have no BCM. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hi sorry long delayed question but did you make this work with the factory mic or did you wire in a new mic?

(& similarly did you disconnect the factory bluetooth module in the trunk?)

Thanks

coulomb said:
I'm coming late to this topic. I happened to notice in this schematic (edit: from this post) that the resistors seem to be swapped:

Y82Ly0e.jpg

That voltage divider will reduce the amplitude by about 3%, which is negligible (0.1 dB). Are the resistors meant to be swapped, so that the amplitude is reduced to about 3%, i.e. some 15 dB?

GREAT catch coulomb! You are correct, the resistors are swapped. Please find attached the updated figure (I also updated the original post) - Sorry for the confusion

NeMriYt.jpg

Hi,

I just sold my 2016 Nissan Leaf S to Carvana and they wanted the stock radio instead of the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX that I had installed in my Leaf. Not sure why anyone wouldn't like wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple carplay ...

YGSHIP2.jpg

89TgnLD.jpg

Anyways, I now have an entire Pioneer to 2016/2017 Nissan Leaf S wire harness set left with the programmed ASWC-1 for SWCs, the backup camera voltage adapter, mic adapter, dash frame ... everything ready for plug and play for most recent Pioneer Stereos. Please, drop me a note if you are interested and like to skip the soldering and setup steps ... It is now just collecting dust at my home :(

I recently bought 2017 Leaf and would be interested in buying the pioneer unit and associated harness. Let me know how I can get in touch.

Hi
Where did u buy the complete wiring/adapters and frame? Have the same stereo but can’t seem to find wires/adapters that I need.

I sold both the harness, frame and radio last month. Most parts are listed in the first post by rickymac54321. The microphone interface is a custom soldered part. Resistors and caps can be bought at electronic shops like Fry's or Jameco. The Nissan harnesses for the antenna etc. can be found at Fry's or on Ebay.

Sorry if this has been covered already in the thread but how was the sound with the new radio? I have an S and the radio stinks. I don't want to install all new speakers, etc so if a new head unit can make the sound adequate I might be tempted. TIA.

goldbrick said:
Sorry if this has been covered already in the thread but how was the sound with the new radio? I have an S and the radio stinks. I don't want to install all new speakers, etc so if a new head unit can make the sound adequate I might be tempted. TIA.

Sounded much better👍🏻

My Leaf S came with some knockoff touchscreen stereo in it, I recently swapped to a Kenwood unit and it sounds a lot better, more power now to drive the speakers properly.

Hi all,

This guide has been very helpful so far. Thanks for that.

Question for the knowledgeable - where did you put the ground(s) for your aftermarket head unit and other components that needed ground wires? The harness black wire says it's for Subaru only, but it seems like there is what looks like a ground wire going into that port from the car. Can I tie my grounds into that? Or must I ground each wire separately to the frame?

First time I've installed my own HU on my own...I did about 15 years ago on a different car, but with help. Use small words :lol:

-E

> The harness black wire says it's for Subaru only

@erothenberger - in my 2013 Leaf this wire was indeed grounded to the chassis - checked with multimeter. Used it and it does seem to be working.

dmbshn41 said:
twizttid1 said:
OK - I had a bit of a *EUREKA* moment this evening while studying the pin diagrams and my wiring harnesseseseseses.
My mistake is I used the basic Metra 70-7552 wiring harness. It doesn't have anything in pins 6, 15 and 16 which are the very pins the steering wheel controls are coming through!!!
My plan is to replace my basic harness with the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 wiring harness (with the SWC wires I need to work with) and get it in after a whole lot of sniping. stripping and soldering.

Then looking at the AX-NIS32SWC-6V harness.... the 12 pin harness that goes into the ASWC-1 has the needed SWC pins grounded off together.

I will need to snip and splice into the wires of pin 5 & 11 of the AX-NIS32SWC-6V 12 pin harness and wire them into pins 6 & 16 of the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 respectively; while grounding pin 16 of the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 off.....

That **SHOULD** do the trick. I will report back if all goes well!

I may have made this similar mistake as well. Def interested in your results. Let us know.

@zednak @dmbshn41 @twizttid1 - either of you succeeded in making this work? In my case AX-NIS32SWC-6V also has the ASWC-1 pins in question grounded off together and controls won't work.

mkj said:
@zednak @dmbshn41 @twizttid1 - either of you succeeded in making this work? In my case AX-NIS32SWC-6V also has the ASWC-1 pins in question grounded off together and controls won't work.

Just seeing this -- it all works fine for me, but I'm unsure what you did. If you still need help, post up and I'll try to check back here soon.

-N

ncoig said:
Just seeing this -- it all works fine for me, but I'm unsure what you did. If you still need help, post up and I'll try to check back here soon.

-N

All figured out, got this harness instead: https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/AHH-70-7552.html
and ended up not even needing Axxess ASWC-1.

Just dropping into this thread, as I'm in a similar boat with our Japanese new-import 2014 S AZE0-1x (G2), sporting the terrible Pioneer Carrozzeria AVIC-EVZ05 (includes GPS & rear-camera).
This is the most entry-level EV we could afford, so lacks pretty much all the mod-cons from other models, eg. no big buttons next to the head unit, no steering wheel controls, etc.

When it comes to auto electrical, I'm a complete novice & a little out of my depth, so please be patient if this has been addressed elsewhere.

I've made arrangements with my mechanic/technician to help with the installation (as part of a package deal), but with the condition I source the parts myself & pay-per-hour for labour. Seems fair.

I'm looking at fitting a pretty vanilla Android 2-DIN head unit, and would like to avoid slicing & splicing the cables on the car (because it takes billable time & I'll want to remove the new HU when we sell).
I've tried all sorts of LMGTFY, but much is over my head or in Japanese.
Can't even determine if all AVIC range units have the same pin-outs, for when I try to reference a wiring diagram.

Living in NZ, shipping options are... difficult. Cost of shipping can often exceed the cost of goods and takes aaaages, so I need to get it right the first time.

TL;DR: what cabling & connectors (i.e. conversion dongle) would I need to mount the new aftermarket generic Android HU to the car-side cabling left behind by an AVIC-EVZ05, including appropriate mounting brackets? (I can 3D print some trim)

I followed the instructions and parts list from this thread and was able to successfully install an after-market ATOTO stereo in my 2016 Leaf.
Everything but the steering wheel controls are working correctly, which I haven't attempted yet.

I'm having one problem, however, I"m hoping someone can help me with - the dashboard Airbag light has been flashing since I finished the install, and a little red triangle is illuminated. I tried re-installing the factory head unit, but still the light flashes.

I followed some Nissan airbag light reset instructions I found googling around - but they didn't seem to help with the problem. Some suggest that powering on before reinserting the center dash passenger airbag warning light harness may have caused this issue, which is quite possible. The passenger airbag light seems to function properly - darkening when a passenger is there, and illuminating when empty.

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction for how to get this light to turn off.

dmbshn41 said:
What works:
-the stereo
-CarPlay
-retaining factory USB
-rear back up camera

Were you able to get CarPlay to work using the AXNISUSB2? I got it and connected it to my head unit (Sony XAV AX5000) and get a "USB device not supported" when I connect my iPhone to the center console plug. If I connect with the same cable directly to the head unit, no problem... CarPlay instantly. Now I'm running the head unit USB plug out from behind the whole AC control console to hook up to my phone. Ugly, but it works.

If the AXNISUSB2 doesn't work to convert the USB plug into a CarPlay supporting plug... It's not worth the money.

What magic did you work?

Hey there. Question for those of you who have successfully gotten EVERYTHING to work:

I have a 2013 Nissan Leaf S that I bought the AXXESS AX-NIS32BT for. Had the normal, base model radio without navigation. Putting in a new head unit and I'd like to use all of the steering wheel controls. When I put this bypass in, only the "speak/pickup" button started working... the "hang up" button does not. Are the PIN assignments correct for this? What could the problem be?

Back