2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost 3rd capacity bar overnight.
Odometer 33865.
Recently, regenerative slowing has been non-existent for quite some time after charging to 100%.
In the past had always had regen even after 100% charge.
GIDs, Ah, kWh values continue decline.
Lost first cap bar at 19K.
Lost 2nd cap bar at 28K.
I expected the loss of the 3rd bar by 34K.
I had leased this POS LEAF SV while hoping for the E-NV200 to appear in the U.S.
I will not acquire another LEAF.
I will rotate between my '11 and my '12 LEAFs
'11 at 8 bars for local trips.
The '12 with the degradation warranty replaced battery has gone 26K miles and remains at 12 capacity bars.
With the loss of free DCFC from Drive The ARC I now charge L1 or L2.
EVgo and ChargePoint are too expensive.
I will not pay to charge at DCFC unless it is reasonable and the payment is only for kWh installed.
I will not pay a session fee, a parking fee, and a per minute fee at these ripoff charging stations.
Looking forward to a BOLT or an E-Golf in the future.

so my sister's 2016 leaf SV lost its fourth bar last week (~60k miles on the odometer, which is 25k miles from when the bms update was first applied and showed 4 bars down back then). she started the warranty replacement right away (friday morning), and the dealership initially asked to hold the car overnight in case Nissan wanted more diagnostics tests to be run before approving the replacement. Also, they said there would be a $143 diagnostics fee in case the warranty wasn't approved.

the next morning, they asked to hold it over the weekend, as the replacement wasn't approved yet. Come monday morning, the replacement is approved, but they won't release the car until the replacement is done.

So one week without the leaf so far. Not quite what we were expecting, so sharing the experience.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
so my sister's 2016 leaf SV lost its fourth bar last week (~60k miles on the odometer, which is 25k miles from when the bms update was first applied and showed 4 bars down back then). she started the warranty replacement right away (friday morning), and the dealership initially asked to hold the car overnight in case Nissan wanted more diagnostics tests to be run before approving the replacement. Also, they said there would be a $143 diagnostics fee in case the warranty wasn't approved.

the next morning, they asked to hold it over the weekend, as the replacement wasn't approved yet. Come monday morning, the replacement is approved, but they won't release the car until the replacement is done.

So one week without the leaf so far. Not quite what we were expecting, so sharing the experience.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30816
40 kw-hr battery in 2016 leaf

I hope the replacement happens soon for your sister. Check out my 30 to 40 kWh battery warranty upgrade at the link above.

In our case it took the division office (Memphis) a month after the 4 bar lost after the 2018 BMS update to decide to where to replace our battery and it was mentioned they might just buy back my car since the Nissan list price was $12,500.00 for the new battery and about $500.00 for labor.

Since I started my claim with a national Nissan Leaf customer rep I just called the rep and stated a month after my 4 bar lost was verified by Nissan that the division office was still deciding how to settle my warranty claim. Never did hear form the dealership but the Leaf rep stayed in contact. Finally I was told to call the dealership because the claim had already been approved and see what they had to say. It was a different service writer and he apologized and said national Leaf Rep had contacted him over my case. He said he would check and see if my battery head come in yet. While I was still on the phone he said it was in the shop and he would call me when it was ready. 10 minutes later he called back and said my battery had been installed and was waiting for me to pick it up. After them having my car for 6 weeks and in the meantime learning Nissan is facing a risk of bankruptcy if they do not get sales up and are currently pulling back or out of the EC I decided not to show with my words how pissed I was so I just said I will work out a ride and come get it since it was 75 miles and I had hauled it to the dealership right at the end of 2019. The new battery range is now 90-170 miles of actual range depending on how long I preheat when it was 14F degrees in the morning and how many WOT take offs that I do. 170 miles happened with very little heat use and driving 45 mph.

I am happy to have my car back and a 33% larger battery but at the current rate of SOH decline is will be about 3% per year but it is winter time. Our car came off lease before we purchased it and the 4 bar loss happened in about 38-39 months and at 24K miles for an average SOH loss of 12% per year. If the rate of loss does not exceed 3% per year we will be OK until we can find a good deal on a used Model Y when the wife retires in 4 years.

https://www.politicshome.com/news...ll-out-europe-and-concentrate-uk-event-hard

"A spokesman for Nissan Europe said: "We deny such a contingency plan exists.

"We’ve modelled every possible ramification of Brexit and the fact remains that our entire business both in the UK and in Europe is not sustainable in the event of WTO tariffs....."

https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/Nissan

There are many more links about Nissan Europe at the bottom of this article. It is rumored in May Nissan is going to announce a turnaround plan for the rest of the world.

GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

I hope the replacement happens soon for your sister. Check out my 30 to 40 kWh battery warranty upgrade at the link above.

In our case it took the division office (Memphis) a month after the 4 bar lost after the 2018 BMS update to decide to where to replace our battery and it was mentioned they might just buy back my car since the Nissan list price was $12,500.00 for the new battery and about $500.00 for labor.

Since I started my claim with a national Nissan Leaf customer rep I just called the rep and stated a month after my 4 bar lost was verified by Nissan that the division office was still deciding how to settle my warranty claim. Never did hear form the dealership but the Leaf rep stayed in contact. Finally I was told to call the dealership because the claim had already been approved and see what they had to say. It was a different service writer and he apologized and said national Leaf Rep had contacted him over my case. He said he would check and see if my battery head come in yet. While I was still on the phone he said it was in the shop and he would call me when it was ready. 10 minutes later he called back and said my battery had been installed and was waiting for me to pick it up. After them having my car for 6 weeks and in the meantime learning Nissan is facing a risk of bankruptcy if they do not get sales up and are currently pulling back or out of the EC I decided not to show with my words how pissed I was so I just said I will work out a ride and come get it since it was 75 miles and I had hauled it to the dealership right at the end of 2019. The new battery range is now 90-170 miles of actual range depending on how long I preheat when it was 14F degrees in the morning and how many WOT take offs that I do. 170 miles happened with very little heat use and driving 45 mph.

I am happy to have my car back and a 33% larger battery but at the current rate of SOH decline is will be about 3% per year but it is winter time. Our car came off lease before we purchased it and the 4 bar loss happened in about 38-39 months and at 24K miles for an average SOH loss of 12% per year. If the rate of loss does not exceed 3% per year we will be OK until we can find a good deal on a used Model Y when the wife retires in 4 years.

"We’ve modelled every possible ramification of Brexit and the fact remains that our entire business both in the UK and in Europe is not sustainable in the event of WTO tariffs....."

There are many more links about Nissan Europe at the bottom of this article. It is rumored in May Nissan is going to announce a turnaround plan for the rest of the world.

so from when the warranty work was approved until the battery was actually replaced and the car returned to you, how much time had passed? You had stated 6-weeks, but the elapsed on the other thread didn't seem to be more than a week (Feb 5th - 12th)?

sorry for being muddled.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

so from when the warranty work was approved until the battery was actually replaced and the car returned to you, how much time had passed? You had stated 6-weeks, but the elapsed on the other thread didn't seem to be more than a week (Feb 5th - 12th)?

sorry for being muddled.

I hauled it to the dealership 30 Dec 2019 and I was told it was bad but they wanted to do some more testing but did not know how to use the new Leaf computer they had been sent because they had no Leafs to check out before mine. I said get a factory rep over to show them the new Leaf computer operations. I called a few weeks later and that was when I was told at the the division level there was some replacement resistance. I guess it was near Feb when I got back with the national Leaf rep and I kind of stayed out of the matter when I was told by national that I was getting a new battery. When I called on 10 Feb 2020 I learned the battery was installed waiting for me to pick it up. No one ever called me with that info.

The Leaf was our 6th Nissan and in time I want 3-4 EV's for others in the family so this was more of a test of Nissan's interest in selling and servicing of EV's. I learned there is no one in charge at Nissan today and learned that is a top down problem. I can not fix a top down problem in an international corporation.

I am not happy with what I learned but count myself lucky to have a new like 2016 EV with 25K miles and now with a 2020 150 mile range Leaf battery. I just did not know Nissan was a ship heading for the rocks and that Nissan personally tossed the last two ship captains overboard into the stormy ocean.

Did you start your claim at the Leaf national level or a dealership?

If you get the car back with a new battery you should be good to go. Did they give you a reason to keep your car while awaiting a battery being shipped. It is when we have someone post that Nissan would not replace a 30 kWa battery that will be a double red flag in my view.

GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:

sorry for being muddled.

I hauled it to the dealership 30 Dec 2019 and I was told it was bad but they wanted to do some more testing but did not know how to use the new Leaf computer they had been sent because they had no Leafs to check out before mine. I said get a factory rep over to show them the new Leaf computer operations. I called a few weeks later and that was when I was told at the the division level there was some replacement resistance. I guess it was near Feb when I got back with the national Leaf rep and I kind of stayed out of the matter when I was told by national that I was getting a new battery. When I called on 10 Feb 2020 I learned the battery was installed waiting for me to pick it up. No one ever called me with that info.

The Leaf was our 6th Nissan and in time I want 3-4 EV's for others in the family so this was more of a test of Nissan's interest in selling and servicing of EV's. I learned there is no one in charge at Nissan today and learned that is a top down problem. I can not fix a top down problem in an international corporation.

I am not happy with what I learned but count myself lucky to have a new like 2016 EV with 25K miles and now with a 2020 150 mile range Leaf battery. I just did not know Nissan was a ship heading for the rocks and that Nissan personally tossed the last two ship captains overboard into the stormy ocean.

If you get the car back with a new battery you should be good to go. Did they give you a reason to keep your car while awaiting a battery being shipped. It is when we have someone post that Nissan would not replace a 30 kWa battery that will be a double red flag in my view.

Started the process with a local dealership, and so far it's progressed to the "replacement approved" level. So counting my blessings there. What I posted about how the dealership wanted to keep the car throughout the warranty replacement process was the only thing that caught us off guard.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

sorry for being muddled.

Started the process with a local dealership, and so far it's progressed to the "replacement approved" level. So counting my blessings there. What I posted about how the dealership wanted to keep the car throughout the warranty replacement process was the only thing that caught us off guard.

Keeping the car in the meantime doesn't make sense to me unless you got a loaner.

GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:

Keeping the car in the meantime doesn't make sense to me unless you got a loaner.

Right?! So they did offer a rental, but only for 5 days, AND we had to buy insurance coverage for it! But we had no choice, since they didn't tell us this until AFTER they had the car overnight and after Nissan approved the warranty replacement. Taking the car back would've meant going through the process again, and a quick call to one of the other dealerships proved that they would run us through the same process over again. So we let them keep the car and paid for the rental insurance.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Right?! So they did offer a rental, but only for 5 days, AND we had to buy insurance coverage for it! But we had no choice, since they didn't tell us this until AFTER they had the car overnight and after Nissan approved the warranty replacement. Taking the car back would've meant going through the process again, and a quick call to one of the other dealerships proved that they would run us through the same process over again. So we let them keep the car and paid for the rental insurance.

I am starting to think this is just all a top down lack of leadership integrity perhaps since we are reporting difference battery warranty experiences in 2020. There may have been some potential safety issues for your sister to keep driving the car. In hindsight I did have some passing issues that left me in a tight spot due to a lack of power after losing the 4th bar.

Me being told my hold up was Nissan (Memphis division) did not know if they were going to replace my battery or buy back my car since the battery replacement was going to cost Nissan $13,000 for parts and labor still boggles my mind. It is like in the history of the Leaf that Nissan has never replaced more than 3-4 battery packs world wide?

I am looking for evidence that Nissan has any future outside of Japan based on just the confusion at Nissan over the Leaf battery warrant replacement process. Leaf battery issues of the past 10 years is the only problem I see that is killing their future EV business at Nissan. Perhaps Nissan is going to let Renault take over their electrification development and sales and just focus on declining ICE side of Nissan.

I will put our 2016 Leaf SL as being the best car we have owned quality wise other than the battery issue. However it is the most expense vehicle we have ever purchased in over the 50+ years of owning vehicles. I was wanting to get one for the daughter to drive the 30 mile round trip to college each day but the confusion coming out of Nissan at the top today concerns me.

Keep us posted and hopefully Nissan will get a handle on making smooth battery warranty claims relating to the failed 30 kWh battery packs.

Mar update. 314 GID's 68.73 AH, SOH=86.47%, Hx=65.70%, 76636 total mi. 31707 mi on new battery. 20 DCFC and 610 l2 charges on the new battery. The battery is continuing to slowly degrade. Even in a cool wet Feb, I still lost 2 more GID's. I'm down about 13.5% from new. 21 months in, the old battery was down to 262 GID's, so the new battery is doing much better. The difference is notable and I expect to hit the 100K warranty limit well before the new battery would qualify for replacement. I'm still still expecting to be down about 25% at 100K. I expect that as the weather warms up deterioration will accelerate again. I'm looking forward to Tesla's battery day announcements. The ID3 is mired in software problems so the ID4 is looking iffy at this point although VW claims that it will ship in 2021. GM is talking big but most of what they're selling at this point is sizzle rather than steak.

On another note, is anyone still interested in my experience with battery deterioration? Should I continue to do these updates or let the thread die?

johnlocke said:
Mar update. 314 GID's 68.73 AH, SOH=86.47%, Hx=65.70%, 76636 total mi. 31707 mi on new battery. 20 DCFC and 610 l2 charges on the new battery. The battery is continuing to slowly degrade. Even in a cool wet Feb, I still lost 2 more GID's. I'm down about 13.5% from new. 21 months in, the old battery was down to 262 GID's, so the new battery is doing much better. The difference is notable and I expect to hit the 100K warranty limit well before the new battery would qualify for replacement. I'm still still expecting to be down about 25% at 100K. I expect that as the weather warms up deterioration will accelerate again. I'm looking forward to Tesla's battery day announcements. The ID3 is mired in software problems so the ID4 is looking iffy at this point although VW claims that it will ship in 2021. GM is talking big but most of what they're selling at this point is sizzle rather than steak.

On another note, is anyone still interested in my experience with battery deterioration? Should I continue to do these updates or let the thread die?

Your updates are helpful to me. On our new 40 kWh battery the SOH has dropped about 0.30% in the first 25 days of usage cold weather so that may mean like 3-4% per year but it should be years before our range is down to 60 miles on a full charge. By then maybe we can get a used Model Y for $25K. :) Battery Day should be exciting next month. The VW and GM are making progress and I think in 5 years they will be on par with the 2012 Model S or better. A lot of people miss that 2003 was when Tesla started working on EV battery packs and realized the battery packs and charging networks do not happen overnight but make up the tail that wags the EV dog. If Nissan had been into building top of the line battery packs instead of fighting a Japanese/French cultural civil war inside of management team so they could give up their EV head start, oh well that is water under the bridge.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Did Nissan get you back your Leaf with a new battery?

GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:

the dealership expects to need another week. they extended the rental by 5 more days. just waiting for the replacement battery to arrive from tennesse. the gas and insurance for that rental cost is starting to add up and is super annoying! :(

GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:

Alrighty! Got the car back today! Despite the invoice showing that the battery was replaced with an identical unit, it's definitely much bigger than the original 30kwh pack!

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Alrighty! Got the car back today! Despite the invoice showing that the battery was replaced with an identical unit, it's definitely much bigger than the original 30kwh pack!

Awesome news!

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Any prices listed?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GaleHawkins said:

Any prices listed?

Nope, it shows up as $0.00 or "WARRANTY". The annoying thing is that the battery arrived with only 20% charge, and the tech notes said that they "performed test drive to verify proper function", but didn't have the decency to charge the car!

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Any prices listed?

Nope, it shows up as $0.00 or "WARRANTY". The annoying thing is that the battery arrived with only 20% charge, and the tech notes said that they "performed test drive to verify proper function", but didn't have the decency to charge the car!

https://www.group1autoparts.com/oem-parts/nissan-battery-assy-main-295b04np6b

This was the battery stated on my service ticket. The above source wants $300 shipping but if it came directly through Nissan I am guessing at the $12,495 list price that I was told over the phone it would be shipped to the dealership without additional shipping charge but then perhaps not. Under Amount it just states: Warranty

Mine was charged to 99% but I told them to make it sure it was charged because I had a 75 mile trip to get home.

Stuff like this and what I went through is why I say if the Ariya ever becomes more than a concept car that it will be DOA at many dealerships because they are fed up with the pain in the butt LEAF EV and only want to kill it off. They do not seem to understand if Nissan does not make the leap to EV's that all of the Nissan dealerships are HISTORY soon or not much later. What is coming out of Korea and perhaps China later is making Nissan slip lower and lower as I see it from my up front face to face experience. At the corporate level all were very helpful but not where the rubber meets the pavement on battery warranty claims. Hopefully things will change.

My 40 kWh in the dead of winter is losing SOH at an 4.5% annual rate and it started out on day one with a SOH of 99.87 thankfully. Do you have the $15 Leaf Spy Pro software to track the health of your battery, etc?

It taking them a month at the division level to decide what to do in my case AFTER they proved I had a valid warranty main battery claim was the RED flag that lead me to learn their corporate decline was worse that the decline of the Leaf's battery SOH .

Thanks for the info you shared.

GaleHawkins said:
My 40 kWh in the dead of winter is losing SOH at an 4.5% annual rate and it started out on day one with a SOH of 99.87 thankfully. Do you have the $15 Leaf Spy Pro software to track the health of your battery, etc?

i do, but this is my sister's car, so i didn't have my dongle with me to verify and i don't have any historical data to compare against.

Apr update. 309 GID's 67.61 AH, SOH=85.06%, Hx=62.97%, 77856 total mi. 32927 mi on new battery. 20 DCFC and 635 l2 charges on the new battery. Battery took a big hit last month despite not driving much for the last couple of weeks. It still looks like it will last longer than the 100,000 mile warranty limit but it won't be very capable. I am still looking forward to Tesla's battery day announcements. The ID3 is mired in software problems so the ID4 is looking iffy at this point although VW claims that it will ship in 2021. GM is still talking big but most of what they're selling at this point is sizzle rather than steak. It seems more likely that I'll see the Cybertruck before either GM or Ford get their trucks out. The Model 3 or a Y looks like the best bet right now.

Back