Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I assume that by "vestibule" you mean a tent designed to connect to the rear door opening, rather than a pop-up camper option? Yes, that would be nice.
Yes.

I'd like the tent to be about 6' W X 8' L X 6' 6" H of tent space, with the ability to close the rear hatch, so you'd have the option to sleep in the car using the HVAC in extreme weather.

I would often prefer to charge overnight camped at RV parks, as compared to staying at some motel hell, and also having to find A DC site.

edatoakrun said:
Why doesn't VW electrify this thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8QwtxQVHfw

VW would have the Electro-wagon market category all to itself.

Probably no more, and maybe even less drag than the shorty Golf, meaning a huge increase in utility with minimal decrease in efficiency.

A German-plated Golf "Variant" (station wagon) was spotted being tested in the Bay Area a couple of years ago, wearing "GTE" badging -- meaning it's a plug-in hybrid. But for some reason VW hasn't offered such a combination, even in Germany.

They do offer a plug-in hybrid version of the Passat Variant though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW5CDic22mw

VW does offer a Golf GTE in Europe but only as a hatchback. The closest thing to an electrified wagon in the VW Group world that exists for the US market is the Audi A3 eTron.

Via GCC:
Volkswagen prices 2017 e-Golf starting at $30,495; longer range, better fuel economy, more power
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170915-egolf.html

+$820 dest. = $31,315.
. . . The 7.2 kW on-board charger is now standard on all trims, which enables the battery to be charged in less than six hours at a 240V charging station. When equipped with DC Fast Charging (optional on SE, standard on Limited Edition and SEL Premium), the battery can be charged up to 80% within an hour at a DC fast charging station. . . .

The value-oriented e-Golf SE ($30,495) trim now offers more standard equipment, including an 8-inch glass-covered touchscreen display, LED taillights, cruise control, a leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel, and the 7.2 kW on-board charger. A DC Fast Charging package is available for $995.

The e-Golf Limited Edition ($33,795) includes the standard features of the SE trim, and adds DC Fast Charging capability, V-Tex leatherette seating surfaces, and Park Distance Control (ParkPilot), with a new feature called Maneuver Braking (arriving late in the model year), which can help driver avoid or mitigate the effects of a collision with stationary objects while parking.

The e-Golf SEL Premium ($36,995) offers an optional Driver Assistance package ($1,395), including the 12.3-inch Volkswagen Digital Cockpit instrument cluster, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Forward Collision Warning with Autonomous Emergency Braking and Pedestrian Monitoring (Front Assist), Lane Assist, Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert, Park Assist and Light Assist. (Late availability for the Driver Assistance Package).

The local Volkswagen dealer just added an L2 so things are looking up.
I suspect the new 38 kwh e-golf will soon be making an appearance.
Would love to pull in charge the Leaf and see what the e-golf is all about while doing a test drive .

OK, will also post this on the VW e-Golf forum as well to see if this has happened to anyone who frequents this forum as a former LEAF owner (like me) ... I was experiencing an unability to remove the charging cable from the car one morning, tried EVERYTHING - including an emergency procedure detailed in the owners manual (press the unlock button on the key fob and full charge button next to the charge port) and it just would not unlock. Called VWOA customer service to no avail. I did see what looked like a small cylinder or post above the J1772 nozzle on the car that stuck out, pushed it in with a solid plastic stick and voila it unlocked ! — then took it in to my VW dealer. Here is the long term fix - not documented in the owners manual at all. To unlock the charger, you first unlock the car outside with the key fob or pressing the drivers door handle then press the unlock button INSIDE the car - this seems to always work now, go figure ?

Still love the car but the locking charger cable seems to have had a mind of its own - not sure if this is just specific to MY 2015 e-Golf or later cars as well, as this was frustrating to say the least thought it was worth sharing

redLEAF said:
OK, will also post this on the VW e-Golf forum as well to see if this has happened to anyone who frequents this forum as a former LEAF owner (like me) ... I was experiencing an unability to remove the charging cable from the car one morning, tried EVERYTHING - including an emergency procedure detailed in the owners manual (press the unlock button on the key fob and full charge button next to the charge port) and it just would not unlock. Called VWOA customer service to no avail. I did see what looked like a small cylinder or post above the J1772 nozzle on the car that stuck out, pushed it in with a solid plastic stick and voila it unlocked ! — then took it in to my VW dealer. Here is the long term fix - not documented in the owners manual at all. To unlock the charger, you first unlock the car outside with the key fob or pressing the drivers door handle then press the unlock button INSIDE the car - this seems to always work now, go figure ?

Still love the car but the locking charger cable seems to have had a mind of its own - not sure if this is just specific to MY 2015 e-Golf or later cars as well, as this was frustrating to say the least thought it was worth sharing
I never use the j1772 lock on the on the leaf anymore as a matter of courtesy at public chargpoints and just to avoid the hassle when charging at home.
Its pretty much useless anyway as it can be disconnected with a variety of common items such as a pen or pencil or comb or.... :lol:

redLEAF said:
The always-on charge lock is (IMHO) a severe design flaw in the early e-Golfs. As I understand it, it was fixed in the 2016 (or later) variants.

As I posted in the Tokyo Motor Show 2017 thread at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=509821#p509821
Was surprised to see a next gen e-Golf (has a full-color LCD for the gauge cluster instead of the physical dials in the previous/current gen). Surprised me that it had 2 charging inlets: J1772 in the nose under the VW logo (you push on the left side of the logo to open the charging flap) and another flap on the rear fender covering..... a CHAdeMO inlet! Hahahaha. I spoke w/the rep there for awhile, but he had to stop a bunch of times due to real potential customers wanting to talk to him.

BTW, the J1772 inlet on the above Japanese-market car I confirmed had no stupid J1772 handle lock. I poked around above the inlet to be sure and the VW rep confirmed no handle lock.

Can post a picture when I get back to the US...

I guess this is another case like the i3, having to support 3 DC FC plugs depending on the market: Combo1, Combo2 and CHAdeMO.

ABG:
Volkswagen pulls the plug on 2020 e-Golf electric hatch
Production allotment goes to Canada as VW preps the ID.4 for the U.S.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/02/vw-e-golf-discontinued-us-2020/

. . . A Volkswagen spokesman confirmed only that Canada will get the production allotment of 2020 models, adding, “You can still buy a MY19.”

The move comes as VW prepares to launch the ID line of dedicated electric vehicles riding atop its MEB platform: the Golf-like ID.3 for Europe, at least, with the U.S. due for the ID.4, the unofficial name for the production version of the ID. Crozz concept crossover, sometime this year. It also comes, CarsDirect notes, after the EPA had already tested the 2020 e-Golf and found that it actually delivered slightly inferior fuel economy, at 122 MPGe in the city and 104 on the highway, than its predecessor, which was rated 126 city/111 highway. . . .

Though VW sold a best-ever 4,863 examples in the U.S. last year, and the e-Golf recently passed 100,000 examples sold, it suffered by comparison to competitors like the Chevrolet Bolt or the Nissan Leaf, with a range of just 125 miles on offer from its 100-kilowatt electric motor and 35.8-kWh lithium-ion battery.

We recently saw spy shots of the ID.4 in near-production guise, suggesting it could be planning a reveal at the New York Auto Show — if it happens at all, given concerns about the Coronavirus. It’s believed to have an 83-kWh battery and two electric motors, with a range of around 250 miles.

VW spokesman Mark Gillies would not say whether the ID.3 will eventually come stateside, but said other ID. models "are under evaluation" for the U.S.

GRA said:
We recently saw spy shots of the ID.4 in near-production guise, suggesting it could be planning a reveal at the New York Auto Show — if it happens at all, given concerns about the Coronavirus. It’s believed to have an 83-kWh battery and two electric motors, with a range of around 250 miles..

3 mi/kW-hr would be mediocre, if true... Audi E-Tron territory. Can't the land of Werner von Siemens design a good electric motor anymore? ;)

EddyKilowatt said:
GRA said:
We recently saw spy shots of the ID.4 in near-production guise, suggesting it could be planning a reveal at the New York Auto Show — if it happens at all, given concerns about the Coronavirus. It’s believed to have an 83-kWh battery and two electric motors, with a range of around 250 miles..

3 mi/kW-hr would be mediocre, if true... Audi E-Tron territory. Can't the land of Werner von Siemens design a good electric motor anymore? ;)

Why be efficient when you can just keep getting larger(battery) :roll:

EddyKilowatt said:
GRA said:

I really doubt that motor efficiency is the limiting factor here. Most likely it is aerodynamics. It takes a lot of energy to push a large square box through the air. On the other hand, a large square box has more utility than a boat-tail-like Model Y.

I used to think that, but if you look at tests of the Niro and other cars with a .28 CoD, it does better...on par with the M3, even though the M3 is a .22-.23.

I think both must matter. It could be the M3 has heavier wheels though.

Cd is only half the equation. CdA is what matters. The ID.4 has a larger A (frontal area) than the Niro.

And sure, motor efficiency matters. But I don't get the impression that EV motor efficiency varies by all that much.

Oh, and the numbers posted include charging losses, so an inefficient charger can make a huge difference. As well it should - you pay for electricity into the charger, not into the battery.

GetOffYourGas said:
EddyKilowatt said:
GRA said:

I really doubt that motor efficiency is the limiting factor here. Most likely it is aerodynamics. It takes a lot of energy to push a large square box through the air. On the other hand, a large square box has more utility than a boat-tail-like Model Y.
There are a lot of ways to modify that square box to reduce it's drag. Kammback and vortex generators come to mind as well as tapering the back-end even slightly. And there is only so much you can do, even a ideal shape has a Cd of around .12-.13.

johnlocke said:
There are a lot of ways to modify that square box to reduce it's drag. Kammback and vortex generators come to mind as well as tapering the back-end even slightly. And there is only so much you can do, even a ideal shape has a Cd of around .12-.13.

Yes there are. Take a look at pictures of the ID.4 and the Model Y, and tell me which vehicle has applied more of these methods.

Back