Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaf and Niro are almost identical in height and width. Leaf technically has a better CoD. Both use 17 inch rims. Weight is pretty similar.

Many tests seem to show the EPA difference (215/226 to 239 ..though most tests use the SL, so 215) to understate the range difference between the cars.

The batter is bigger, by about 3.5 kWh from what I can tell from the UDDS tests. That would explain about 12-14 of the 25 miles epa difference.

Either the power mapping help improve efficiency, or the power train just more efficient.

Interestingly enough, Niro (on the car wow test) on a published range vs. actual did much better than the M3 LR. On a proportionate basis, even the Leaf would have out run the M3 SR+, and the Niro got close to the M3 LR.

I know we are off topic. Apologies.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Where can you find the frontal area of the cars?

Coefficient of Drag can be easily found. Niro EV is .3, Leaf is .28, and M3 .22-.23.

What are the frontal areas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient

The biggest problem with Cd is that unless all the cars are tested in the same tunnel using the same methodology, you can't strictly compare one Cd with another. IIRR C&D did a Cd comparo back awhile (included a Model S IIRC), which did test them all the same, and showed how the Cd can vary from the ones produced by the manufacturers.

Back