Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marktm said:
No - purchase the Leaf as a 10 bar - fairly quickly went to the 8 bars. No problems with Nissan replacing it - very professional service here in Houston, TX (Sterling McCall).

Thanks. Dealers in NJ are a joke. Require 100% prepayment for the battery, and don't even know how to order it. I wonder what's gonna happen when they actually get to working on it.

GRA said:
^^^ So, a bit over 20% degradation in 3 years 2 months.

That seems to be on par with the original chemistry. IDK then why Lizard batteries are considered an improvement. In our Leaf we lost 44% of capacity over 7 years.

The Lizard pack was designed to avoid warranty replacements in normal climates, and to make them rare in hotter climates. It accomplished that. The Wolf pack before it had the same purpose, but only succeeded in normal climates.

Marktm said:
Posting the latest degradation of my 2012 replacement "lizard" battery - in Houston TX climate:

I have had similar results in a similar environment (Dallas)...almost exactly 1 year behind. I suspect you will be bumping below 50 AHr in another 12 months. Bottom line: the "lizard" pack has performed much better than the original pack.

Stanton said:
I have had similar results in a similar environment (Dallas)...almost exactly 1 year behind. I suspect you will be bumping below 50 AHr in another 12 months. Bottom line: the "lizard" pack has performed much better than the original pack.

It'll be interesting if next Jan - Feb that I do go below 50 ahr. Expecting a repeat of the summertime "hump".
Latest:

battery log 5.3.20.jpg

Here's an update on my 2012 LEAF: pack health is 64.07%, just lost the ninth bar (now down to 8). I bought the car at 69.5% SoH about 10 months ago, so that's 5% capacity loss in about a year. I think the majority of the health loss was during my road trip from NYC to Colorado - the pack went over 120 F several times during that trip.

2012 Leaf here with new pack installed by previous owner in 2015 who lived in hot climate - FL. We still have full 12 bars and about but 10% ish cell degradation I believe, car is here in Front Range of CO and we puchased it about 2 years ago. I full charge most times > 80% and a few DC charges. Not lot miles about 4000 per year,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/437741293059829/permalink/1530283797138901/ has a 7 bar loser '11 SL w/94K miles.

Don't know where they're located.

cwerdna said:
Ok, this person (initials MT) in Los Angeles has a 3 (!) bar remaining '11 with 115K miles. Pic of dash and bars at https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/3420243624713121/?comment_id=3420254538045363&reply_comment_id=3420279481376202. Unfortunately, the group is a private one.

I think this is the worst I've seen of a Leaf in the US.
From https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/4056460454424765/, this post from today still shows him at 3 capacity bars remaining and now at 118K miles in Los Angeles.

cwerdna said:
cwerdna said:
Ok, this person (initials MT) in Los Angeles has a 3 (!) bar remaining '11 with 115K miles. Pic of dash and bars at https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/3420243624713121/?comment_id=3420254538045363&reply_comment_id=3420279481376202. Unfortunately, the group is a private one.

I think this is the worst I've seen of a Leaf in the US.
From https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/4056460454424765/, this post from today still shows him at 3 capacity bars remaining and now at 118K miles in Los Angeles.

How can he even use that thing? Is he not replacing the battery just for laughs? :)

That car is truly into golf cart territory. My commute is only 9 miles and I have free L2 at work but I think having that kind of range would drive me nuts.

Bought my 2011 SV w/QC in March this year, 33k miles and 7 bars(leafspy claims 59% SOH)
My commute is 1 mile. I would bike it but rather not be sweaty in Virginia swamp weather.

I don't think it was ever quick charged. I'm on the lookout for a 40 or 62 battery but they don't pop up often, and I'm not in the best position to outright buy one and swap it in myself currently.

There are shops that will do the swap and supply the battery. Or you can check into Fenix, which is some sort of battery leasing/replacement startup. These options are not without risk so do your homework first. There is lots of information on both options in the forums here.

goldbrick said:
Or you can check into Fenix, which is some sort of battery leasing/replacement startup. These options are not without risk so do your homework first. There is lots of information on both options in the forums here.
I would not bother until we've actually heard of actual successful installs of used Leaf batteries by Fenix and their install partners. So far, they've been vaporware. In theory, if they're on time, we should start to hear something next week: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=586043#p586043.

cwerdna said:
goldbrick said:
Or you can check into Fenix, which is some sort of battery leasing/replacement startup. These options are not without risk so do your homework first. There is lots of information on both options in the forums here.
<span>I would not bother until we've actually heard of actual successful installs of used <a href="http://www.mynissanleaf.com" class="interlinkr">LEAF<span class="tip">Visit the LEAF Forum</span></a> batteries by Fenix and their install partners. So far, they've been vaporware. In theory, if they're on time, we should start to hear something next week: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=586043#p586043.</span>

I don't know that I would even bother with Fenix even if they did come around. 1 Not in my area and 2 nothing except 24kwh packs? Can I buy just a pack?

6 bar loser now.

* MFG 10/2011 (2012 model year)
* 106 months (8 years + 10 months) have gone by since manufacture.
* 46.25% SOH lost
* averages 5.29% per year
* heat is the major factor, years with higher temps in summer had more loss (car is in garage at home but parked outdoors at work)
* mileage wasn't a factor, years in which I drove less or more didn't change the average
* efficiency on dash right now is 4.8 miles per kWh (15" aero wheels help a bit)
* left home today with 42 miles on the GOM after an 80% charge.
* commute to work is about 15 miles one way (daily driving about 35-40 miles a day)
* charge on 240v at home to 80%, 120v at work (80% if hot, 100% if cool or cold).
* 3 quick charges in the life of the vehicle all done years ago on a single day when I bought the car used and had to drive it 200+ miles one way to get it home.

all cells are still in balance, no sign of any sort of pack failure to come, I fully expect the car to still be drivable no matter how low the range gets. Though I do expect to have to switch to charging to 100% all the time in the near future and even further down the road will have to replace the pack or car.

smkettner said:
I am not convinced 80% every day really helped the battery. I would have already switched to 100% already.

I get to charge free at work and pay for my electricity at home. So that is a factor when I have range to spare.

Also, at 100% charge I have 0 and I mean NO regen during the majority of my drive. I find the driving profile between 0 regen, light regen, and full regen to differ enough that I try to make the charging consistent. I live in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains (Appalachian Mountains). So I'm doing a lot of dowhill coasting and braking.

I won't have a choice soon and I have mixed feelings about not having regen for the majority of my driving at some point in the future.

Think about this. I can charge at both ends of my work commute but if I can't charge at one end or the other (power outage, damaged outlet, parking spots blocked).... well in those rare cases I need enough charge for the round trip. So I charge to full but don't get low enough to get my regen back unless there is a problem charging at one end (maybe 4 days out of a year).

Back