Help/advice shipping 2019 Leaf trailer hitch to from US to Aus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nismau

Hi all,

We have a problem here in backwaters Australia. No supplier OEM or aftermarket has tow hitches to suit 2019 Nissan Leafs.

I'm not worried about voiding manufacturer warranty as there was none with this car apart from the battery (another story, but not relevant to topic)- so I am good to tow, good to go on this front!

I just completed a chat with etrailer.com rep in the USA and they will not ship outside of contiguous US states nor take non-US credit cards.

Sooo, I'm wondering if any owners here are willing/able to act as a forwarding agent for the tow hitch ie receive the tow hitch and forward it by any reasonable means possible. Of course I will paypal all necessary funds upfront with all the usual 'at your own risk' caveats.

It's a huge gamble I realise, but we just don't have the can-do culture here in Australia. All the small shop enquiries to make custom hitches are wayaayayayay over budget and cannot guarantee the quality or build of the US made hitches.

Here's hoping someone can assist. PM may be best for more specifics.

Thanking you in advance!

What about Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-11396-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00KB6YF3G
$125 USD seems like a heck of a deal to me and CURT is a well-known name in hitches :)
Even free shipping in the US! don't know how they can do that :cool:

It's going to be expensive. I would occasionally send diesel engine engine bits to Australia and a box between the size of a shoe box and a boot box could run $120.
Never tried to send anything the size of a trailer hitch.

Jjeff,

from what I can see the Curtis 11396 Towhitch doesn't explicitly recommend 2019 Leaf as a compatible fit.

Also, I just checked with suppliers here in .AU and 1-7/8" is the smallest square hitch insert (the extra tongue with the towball on it) that Hayman Reece makes available to the public.

So I am stuck with this line of enquiry- without even investigating shipping...

Any other suggestions most welcome!

I see quite a few towbars on Leafs here in NZ, all seem to be locally installed (we love towbars here :D )

A quick search turned up http://www.towbar.co.nz/vehicles/car/2458
Lock-on is a widespread towbar brand here, I'm not sure what the Aus legal requirements are for the construction but they might be able to help and shipping should be cheaper.

Nismau said:
Jjeff,

from what I can see the Curtis 11396 Towhitch doesn't explicitly recommend 2019 Leaf as a compatible fit.

Also, I just checked with suppliers here in .AU and 1-7/8" is the smallest square hitch insert (the extra tongue with the towball on it) that Hayman Reece makes available to the public.

So I am stuck with this line of enquiry- without even investigating shipping...

Any other suggestions most welcome!

I suggest you double check the sizes. There are two standard sizes of drawbars in the US for light duty vehicles: 1-1/4 and 2-inch square. Standard ball sizes are 1-7/8 and 2-inch diameter.

The Curt 11396 does fit the 2019 Leaf, but you need to purchase some M12 bolts and drill a couple of holes. See Amazon.com listing for details...

Found this on Oz Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CURT-11396-Class-I-1-25-in-Receiver-Hitch-Fits-11-17-Leaf/233474587768?hash=item365c2b7c78:g:OhIAAOSwGsheKyFr

Back