Fenix Power - Took money and but never delivered

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oilpan4 said:
On the surface, from my observations it appears they were a startup that was hoping to get bought out.
More like someone with a great idea, but without the skills or knowledge to even create a prototype.

jlv said:
More like someone with a great idea, but without the skills or knowledge to even create a prototype.
Yep. Basically, my guess is what I said in the 3rd to last paragraph of https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26597&p=576733&hilit=kickstarter#p576733.

Has anyone been able to verify the rumors of eviction?

Sincere people can be wrong--sincerely wrong, and without the knowledge, skills and abilities to deliver on the advertised product.

It always smelled of a scam to me, but i'm a technologist, and skeptical when people try to use BS and blather to sell something.

nlspace said:
Has anyone been able to verify the rumors of eviction?
Look up Fenix at the URL I mentioned at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=579289#p579289 to see for yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184664911551980/permalink/2997289450289498/?comment_id=2997452656939844 is Mr. Bysinger's comment about vacating the space.

In my experience, the majority of start-ups begin with wild hopes and possibly dreams. That is probably why the vast majority fail fairly quickly. While this could be 'a scam' I'd be more inclined to think it was just a case of trying something that had slim odds of success and not some sort of con game to separate naive investor/speculators from their money.

Renting a space and never moving into it leans more towards it being a scam.
Before now I thought they were just incompetent.
It's always been my belief they wanted to be one of those startups that got bought out for a bunch of money and then it can fail when the next guy can't make it happen.

cwerdna said:
jlv said:
Yep. Basically, my guess is what I said in the 3rd to last paragraph of https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26597&p=576733&hilit=kickstarter#p576733.
Yeah you nailed it.
I bet I have built more batteries than they have.

IMHO, taking deposits and saying how the price will increase as more people sign up, yet still not having an inkling of how to make the product, leans more towards it being a scam.

Well, they had a good idea but the window is closing fast. In 11 days, I will post a blog about a local business doing 40 kwh upgrades to Gen 1 LEAFs. They are now popping up everywhere. This company will likely draw in most of Fenix's business in WA/OR which was likely a major market for them.

As I noted early on, you have to have a thing before you worry about fancy ways of selling and marketing the thing. As of yet there is no Fenix thing to be found. It seems unlikely now that there ever will be.

Nubo said:
As I noted early on, you have to have a thing before you worry about fancy ways of selling and marketing the thing. As of yet there is no Fenix thing to be found. It seems unlikely now that there ever will be.

+1

Anytime someone asks you for $$$ to save a lot of $$$ things won't end well.... Like the Nigerian Prince that needs your bank account #.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FenixPowerCoForum/permalink/518980372084071/?comment_id=519046702077438 is a recent update.
Fenix Power / Fenix Power We've had to delay our planned battery solution reveal due to delays in delivering our capital from our investors. It is this delay that motivated us to arrange this interim Nissan pack swap solution, and launching our installs as affordable subscriptions.
Also, the delay has delayed our Patent filing for several design and method innovations. Our thermal management is both simple and novel, and the management system leapfrogs anything you'll find in other EV BMSs. Plus, we're very proud of the physical design. Auto makers have access to billions for development, if we reveal too much too soon before protections are in place, they have the ability to crush us, which would be horrible for past-warranty EV owners. OEMs have no interest in helping our customers, but we very much are passionate about keeping good cars on the road for decades. All of this means we follow a cautious plan.
There's a reason no one saw the iPhone before Jobs announced it, or look at the Cybertruck, complete darkness until it was a fully functional product.
We'll get there, and it will absolutely be worth the wait.
Was posted Feb 22, 2020 at 7:14 PM (probably Pacific time)

I had to alter the first "e" to avoid MNL from blowing up with an error.

These things they barely mention.
Is there any further description of them?
Such as their simple thermal management solution?

^^^
Not that I know of but I'm not following closely as I don't care much. Seems like hyperbole to me.

I find it rather unlikely that given their lack of concrete status of something working that they could have some sort of working, safe, reliable battery thermal management that also lets them stay within reasonable cost which leapfrogs that of established automakers. Those established automakers have lots of skilled engineers and lots of resources to simulate, measure and validate their designs besides being able be teardown and benchmark the TMS of competitors.

Fenix seems long on sizzle and short on steak. I'd like them to succeed even if I probably won't buy their product. Anything that improves the useful life of a Leaf would be a good thing. With Nissan asking $12K for a 40KWH battery, there's room for a lower cost solution. Leasing a battery might make sense if you can find a cheap Leaf to put it into.

Unfortunately, they appear under-capitalized and without a production line and maybe even a product. They haven't even showed a mockup. Everything is Hush-Hush and we'll show you later. They are losing the time to market race and risk being obsolescent before they hit the market.

Their thermal management solution might be as simple as a flooded pack with a radiator and a small pump or perhaps heat pipes to a heat exchanger. A new approach needn't be complicated or expensive to be workable.

I wasn't aware that they were also promising a thermal management part of battery replacements..

Man, when Nissan after 10 years of production did not add some cooling to the battery, how can anyone expect that a company will include that into their version of a replacement battery. They can't even make a regular battery swap, period.

This is all pie in the sky.

Do they think that anyone is believing this? This was a lot of interesting reading..... But No batteries in cars...

"In the next week"..... Yeah right.. They continue to ask for money, and take "surveys of what their customers want".... SPare me.

This is like Eli Wallach in the movie, "The Good, the Bad , and the Ugly".... "If you are going to Shoot.... Shoot! No Talk!!!""....

Options are starting to appear all over the place and I am expecting that to continue at a higher pace.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2020/03/leaf-battery-upgrades-comes-to.html

powersurge said:
Do they think that anyone is believing this? This was a lot of interesting reading..... But No batteries in cars...

Maybe they can help me with my Faraday Future some day.

Nothing new at https://fenix.systems/blog other than, more changes/updates are coming.

I wonder where any of this work will be happening. Some strong EV markets are on lock down due to COVID-19 but at least for my county and the Bay Area, auto shops are considered "essential businesses" so they can continue to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back