Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
Our Nissan dealership has sent emails that they will do it all over the phone, drop a car at your place for the test drive, and have paperwork ready to sign in the car. Pretty clever.

Not sure if it works if you need a loan or something notarized.

That's positive that old line car makers are moving to the future as shown them by Elon Musk and his team at Tesla. The 100 year dealership model is not cutting it any longer in the 2020 business climate.

It is good that Tesla has finally embraced the heat pump that the Leaf introduced years ago to preheat their battery pack for faster charging then to quickly cool them back down for hitting the road again.

I'll consider this. Just a rough, seat of the pants estimate: Since my goal would be to drive a Plus for the same lease payment, with little or nothing additional down, I'd have to choose between a 2020 SV Plus with Around View and better Pro Pilot but a crappier stereo, and a 2019 SL Plus with the better stereo but worse Pro Pilot and with $##@! leather upholstery. I'm tired of having to give up things I like to get things I need. Still, an only slightly worse stereo but with 200+ miles of range and more power is something I'd consider. That's a car I'd buy when the lease ended.

LeftieBiker said:
I'll consider this. Just a rough, seat of the pants estimate: Since my goal would be to drive a Plus for the same lease payment, with little or nothing additional down, I'd have to choose between a 2020 SV Plus with Around View and better Pro Pilot but a crappier stereo, and a 2019 SL Plus with the better stereo but worse Pro Pilot and with $##@! leather upholstery. I'm tired of having to give up things I like to get things I need. Still, an only slightly worse stereo but with 200+ miles of range and more power is something I'd consider. That's a car I'd buy when the lease ended.

By 'worse stereo,' do you mean the 'missing' subwoofer in the trunk?

LeftieBiker said:
Only the model years on offer (2019-2020) was given. I assume that an ePlus SV with Tech and All Weather packages would be an option. I just don't think that, being afraid to enter a grocery store now, I'd want to spend time at a dealership. Maybe if I could do it over email...

Some local dealerships are showing cars by appointment only while others have closed their sales dept. The reality is there is a LOT of moving parts when a car is sold that we do not see. I think the decision was partially due to cost of keeping everyone needed onsite verses the logistics of ensuring sanitation thru out the entire process.

Global leaf prices:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autodato.com/ranking-precios-mundial-nissan-leaf-espana-mas-barato/amp

España 25.900 €
Reunión (FR) 26.000 €
Portugal 26.880 €
Polonia 27.848 €
Japón 27.869 €
Noruega 28.537 €
Estados Unidos 28.712 €
Canadá 28.949 €
Francia 29.400 €
Irlanda 29.890 €
Italia 30.700 €
Moldavia 30.900 €
Reino Unido 31.087 €
Corea del Sur 32.137 €
Alemania 36.600 €
Letonia 36.880 €
Lituania 36.880 €
Países Bajos 36.990 €
Suecia 37.477 €
Finlandia 38.200 €
Costa Rica 38.616 €
Brasil 41.418 €
Israel 41.533 €
Malasia 42.349 €
Taiwán 45.713 €
Argentina 55.970 €
Tailandia 58.705 €
Singapur 100.142 €

DougWantsALeaf said:
Here is a serious set of mods for efficiency:

https://youtu.be/xE47_EJ-Jrg

What I like about this guy is he is plain and simply enjoying his car. He’s not a genius but he’s not afraid to try stuff and he has provably learned a ton of stuff along the way. Would love to meet him.

Thanks for posting Doug.

That's cool how how he is using the Leaf as a learning lab before he gets a Tesla. I like foot controlled braking light. After I lost my 4th SOH bar did some back to back DC charges at Walmart to learn about the battery cooling issues first hand before getting the new battery. I don't plan to do any DC charges on the new battery after what I learned.

From https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=584774#p584774, it's clear in the US the Bolt's dusting the Leaf in sales. Bolt sales were about triple that of Leaf despite the $1875 tax credit on Bolts. I wonder what happened? Price/incentives? Supply? Lease prices? 40 vs. 62 kWh confusion? Slightly extra range on Bolt was enough to push people over to that? CCS? Did GM make a lot of fleet sales?

I don't have US Tesla numbers, but it's likely that they're an order of magnitude higher than US Leaf numbers.

cwerdna said:
From https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=584774#p584774, it's clear in the US the Bolt's dusting the Leaf in sales. Bolt sales were about triple that of Leaf despite the $1875 tax credit on Bolts. I wonder what happened? Price/incentives? Supply? Lease prices? 40 vs. 62 kWh confusion? Slightly extra range on Bolt was enough to push people over to that? CCS? Did GM make a lot of fleet sales?

I don't have US Tesla numbers, but it's likely that they're an order of magnitude higher than US Leaf numbers.

It seems from some news the Leaf is one of many Nissan lines going away at least in the USA and move to trying to sell the new $40K+ 2 motor EV. Bottom line we just do now know how many lines Nissan must cut to hope to save the USA market share. Seems the vans (big seller in our area) are going away. I expect it will be 2025 before we know what the remains of Nissan will look like because the 20% down sizing of Nissan in 2018 did not stop its down hill slide.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33932/nissan-is-out-of-the-van-business-in-america

cwerdna said:
I think it was a combination of incentives plus $1875 tax credit and increased range. I think some people were able to get it for $22-23k before the tax credit. I was thinking of buying one too, but it doesn't have adaptive cruise control.

cwerdna said:

Its a combination of huge Bolt discounts (ignore incentives and MSRP, the actual selling price between the two cars are very close) that are well publicized and LEAF discounts on Plus that is not. Right now, Nissan is all but giving away 2019's (halfway thru 2020!) and a lot people who are interested in getting EVs are simply not buying the discounts. They think its a scam.

I know someone who got a Bolt 2 weeks ago for what would have been about $1,000 more than a 2019 LEAF SV plus and has less features. I asked him why and she stated "I don't want to waste my time at the dealer haggling over the price"

IOW; she thought the advertised price was a bait and switch tactic. I also know someone who got nearly the very same car (theirs has tech package which hers did not) for $28,000 which is effectively under $20,000 after fed discount and WA state incentives are taken into account.

^^^
Interesting...

At the same time, the 2019 and 2020 Bolt (esp. the latter) have a bit more range than the 62 kWh Leaf: https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42191&id=41277&id=41276&id=40520. Maybe that's another thing pushing them towards Bolt along w/battery thermal management?

You're right about Bolt discounting publicity. I've heard of basically 0 for Leaf and Leaf Plus in that dept.

It's is the same around here, I have 41 Bolt's, starting at $27,200 and 3 Plus's starting at $39,256. We have 1 Chademo within 100 miles and 12 CCS's. I am seriously looking at the Prius Prime, Bolt or model 3. If we have to run to Minneapolis (son at school) and back a bunch (600 mile round trip), this a 15 min refuel stop with the Prime, 75 minutes with the Model 3 and 2 hours and 30 minutes with a Bolt, the Leaf isn't an option, well it is if I run through Custer adding about 60 miles to the drive as well as the 2 hours and 30 minutes charging. I just wish I knew how much we will really be driving this.

^^^
interesting again... If those are really going prices, then a Leaf Plus is a really tough sell even w/the $7500 Federal tax credit vs. $0 now for GM cars as the Bolt would still be cheaper. And, yeah, if the DC FC situation is like that (maybe due to Electrify America stacking the deck), then Leafs are even a tougher sell, assuming folks realize it and know the difference in charging standards.

I can't speak to your possible charging pitstop locations, but w/the Bolt, best to only start charging at low SoC and cut off charging either once you start tapering below either ~54 kW (55 kW is max) or ~37 kW. The 2020 Bolt's charging drop offs apparently much more gradual than the sharp drops in ones before 2020. Sharp drop off examples at https://electricrevs.com/2018/07/17/watch-a-bolt-ev-at-a-chargepoint-express-250-charge-at-up-to-55-kw/. I can tell you my '19 has those sharp drops.

I believe News Coloumb suggests taking off once you taper below 37 kW. That probably is a good trade off due to the overhead to divert to a charger and back to your route, park, authenticate, plug in, unplug, etc.

Most recent time I used a DC FC (thanks to free Drive The Arc charging), I wasn't in a hurry and cut it off a bit after my Bolt was down to 17 kW rate.

Back