24 kWh Battery replacement cost back down to $5500

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brunohill said:
LeftieBiker said:
Thanks. Pricey!

And that is a ( erikoishinta ) special price. Maybe that is how they got $30,000 AU++ quotes in Australia for 24 kWh replacements.

That really shows that Nissan is giving up on supporting the hundreds of thousands of Leafs around the world. That means that Europeans buy the Leaf but are not aware that they will be forced to junk the car when the battery degrades?

Man, when I bought my Leaf I was so happy that the car industry had progressed past the philosophy of the original EV1. In the 1990s, GM gave us a taste of the electric car and killed it. Now, looking at those battery replacement prices, Nissan is ready to erase all the Leafs in Europe in the future.... Am I seeing this correctly???

These prices don't mean much. During a warranty replacement you don't pay anything, and the dealership simply gets the battery shipped to their door. But, I put some thoughs into this and made a post about it in my buildthread http://www.japtoys.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3613&start=75#p71564

"The 30kWh LEAF, sold between 2016 to 2018 have some controversy going on with the warranty replacements. Normally, a LEAF has warranty for capacity loss overtime, this means if it looses more than 30% capacity before the warranty runs out, Nissan replaces the battery with a new one. Early adapters / owners have longed for Nissan to replace the aging 24kWh packs with some larger ones when doing warranty, but Nissan has stood firm on only replacing 24kWh packs with newer 24kWh packs. But, the 30kWh LEAF is different! Nissan has been silently using 40kWh packs when they are doing warranty work on 30kWh LEAFs, and I kinda understand why.

24kWh - 17666€ 0%VAT
30kWh - 22730€ 0%VAT
40kWh - 20871€ 0%VAT
62kWh - 28897€ 0%VAT

First of all, the prices are silly high, and Nissan won't let you buy a battery. These are only for warranty work. Note that the 40kWh pack is cheaper to get compared to the 30kWh pack. So there is a pure profit in using 40kWh packs instead of 30kWh ones. Also, Nissan still makes 40/62 packs, the 30 size was only used for a brief period, so it makes sense to streamline the production. But here is the real question, why not allow the same warranty upgrade for old 2011-2016 24kWh Leafs?

Speculation time:
- Upgrading the 24kWh Leaf to 40kWh makes the car so much more usable, that it would hurt newer sales. Can't have people using older cars for too long! Upgrading a 30kWh->40kWh doesn't hurt the sales as much.
- It is hard to upgrade the oldest Leaf. This I noticed myself too, the communication between the LBC->VCM is really different on the 2011-2013 ZE0 Leaf. If you drop in a 40kWh pack into a 2014+ AZE0 Leaf, the communication is mostly the same, and Nissan can get away with doing a minor firmware update. But if they try to do the same on the oldest ZE0, the pack wont even be recognized properly, and ALL the modules on the CAN-bus in the car would need a firmware update to cooperate. Nothing impossible (since we hobbyists are doing it right now!), but hard to do it officially.

I don't like Nissans strategy, since it promotes a throw away culture. End of rambling "

Boxman said:
johnlocke said:
Boxman said:
Really? The 40kWh pack actually fits?
The 40 KWH bolts directly in, A quick spin through the Diagnostic Computer to match up the SN's and you are good to go. A 62 KWH fits with some modifications to the mounts as well. So much for Nissan telling us it couldn't be done.

So buy a used 2016 or 2017 30kWh Leaf with a bunch of miles on it, then bring to Nissan dealer and they’ll install a new 40kWh battery for $5500?

24 kwh packs are actually $4500. 40 kwh packs are SIGNIFICANTLY more and most importantly NOT for sale. Only used for warranty exchanges at this time and yeah that includes 30 kwh LEAFs

Dala said:
LeftieBiker said:
What are the amounts in dollars or Euros? Or is that Euros shown?

That is Euro with 0%VAT
Quick conversion to USD also without any VAT
24kWh - 19430 $
30kWh - 25000 $
40kWh - 22956 $
62kWh - 31783 $

This is great info...but I just can't believe these prices? We already know the 24kWh "street" price is ~$5k, and I saw posted somewhere (on this forum) that a 40kWh pack could be bought (from Nissan) for ~11k...so something doesn't add up. I mean, these prices are more than half the cost of the whole car!!

Stanton said:
That is Euro with 0%VAT
24kWh - 19430 $
30kWh - 25000 $
40kWh - 22956 $
62kWh - 31783 $

This is great info...but I just can't believe these prices? We already know the 24kWh "street" price is ~$5k, and I saw posted somewhere (on this forum) that a 40kWh pack could be bought (from Nissan) for ~11k...so something doesn't add up. I mean, these prices are more than half the cost of the whole car!!

These prices are wack due to no person paying them. You cant buy these packs, this is simply what Nissan logs internally when they do replacement warranty work. The "street" price is ~$5k due to Nissan taking a loss and putting a sane sticker price for customers. So at least they are doing something right.

Dala said:
Stanton said:
That is Euro with 0%VAT
24kWh - 19430 $
30kWh - 25000 $
40kWh - 22956 $
62kWh - 31783 $

These prices are wack due to no person paying them. You cant buy these packs, this is simply what Nissan logs internally when they do replacement warranty work. The "street" price is ~$5k due to Nissan taking a loss and putting a sane sticker price for customers. So at least they are doing something right.
Aren't these prices also in Europe where everything(including new Leafs) are quite a bit higher? Not that would explain it all but some of it....

We just had battery replaced in a 2012 Leaf:

Total Labor: $690
Total Parts: $4777
Misc Charges: $30
Total Tax: $363

TOTAL: $5860

eaf said:
We just had battery replaced in a 2012 Leaf:

Total Labor: $690
Total Parts: $4777
Misc Charges: $30
Total Tax: $363

TOTAL: $5860

They didn't give you a $1000 credit on the old battery?

Here is what I got from the Dealer in Spokane, Wa

Hi Mark,

Well, Nissan sure doesn’t make it easy to research this but I finally figured it out. The 2012 model needs to be upgraded to the newer style so there are a few extra parts that need to be replaced. You’re looking right at $6000 including tax to do this. Let me know if you want to move forward.

69800 said:
Here is what I got from the Dealer in Spokane, Wa

Hi Mark,

Well, Nissan sure doesn’t make it easy to research this but I finally figured it out. The 2012 model needs to be upgraded to the newer style so there are a few extra parts that need to be replaced. You’re looking right at $6000 including tax to do this. Let me know if you want to move forward.

Advise the dealer that any EV related part or service in the state of WA is 100% sales tax free. That should drop it to $5500 give or take a few hundred.

Breakdown; Battery cost is $4500 (title should be changed but mods seem to think its valid for some unknown reason)

Parts required for 2011-12's; a few hundred.

Labor; Varies but yours seems to be about $800 which is right in the ballpark seen elsewhere.

69800 said:
Thanks Dave

Some advice; I think this price offering is limited and will change when the current 24 kwh pack supply is exhausted so if you are thinking about doing this verses other options (like upgrading to a larger pack) then I would get it started ASAP to lock in the price. For what you get, its a good deal imm.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The 24 packs are more or less obsolete. They may be clearing out supplies. I was a little concerned about the manufacture date of the battery I would be getting but I cannot believe it would be over a year old. Our car is in perfect condition and crunching numbers for investing $5500 into a car that nobody wants we could easily get another 10 years out of it. Almost like getting a new car for $5500.
I considered the possibility of having an inverter fail later but from what I can see the motor inverters seem pretty bullet proof.

the dealer in spokane just called me and said he has never heard of the "no sales tax in Washington rule" Dave do you have any supporting info?
Mark

Back