TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
I think GM still can't quite make the Leap of no return.

That said, the early work with the Volt/Bolt at least give them some base of learning to move from.

There comes those inflection points where even big companies need to take that leap of faith. Until end Feb, I thought that was this year.

Now that we likely have sub $50/barrel oil for the next 2 years, GM might get 1 last chance to change itself.
GM is never going to change. Their commitment to ICE is too great. They are going to bury their heads deeply up their asses and ignore the EV market until it kills the company. Same thing goes for Ford. A lot of lip service but little action. The only company that really seems to be committed to changing over to EV's is Volkswagen and so far they appear to have blotched it. If they can figure out the software issues, they may pull it off yet. It's a "bet the company" situation for Volkswagen and they know it.

Whether or not GM and Ford commit to the EV paradigm in time will depend on the success or failures of their respective electric full-sized pickup trucks (and in the case of GM at least, SUVs).

LeftieBiker said:
Whether or not GM and Ford commit to the EV paradigm in time will depend on the success or failures of their respective electric full-sized pickup trucks (and in the case of GM at least, SUVs).
If either Ford or GM manage to produce an EV pickup, it won't see the light of day until 2022 and then as a limited edition. If they produce 20K annually I'd be surprised. Ford and GM Dealers won't touch them unless they are forced to and even then won't know how to sell them. In the meantime, Tesla will build a couple of hundred thousand Cybertrucks and sell them as fast as they can build them. Ford and Gm will die by inches and wonder what happened.

Ford and GM have each acquired a company already about to build an EV pickup, and , at least until the pandemic, had planned on releasing their own versions next year.

I wouldn't count Ford and GM out that easily. Unlike the Y, the Cybertruck is a different beast. Tesla seemingly has only built the one prototype. It will be interesting to see if Tesla can really pull it off at close to the price and specs they've discussed.

johnlocke said:
If either Ford or GM manage to produce an EV pickup, it won't see the light of day until 2022 and then as a limited edition. If they produce 20K annually I'd be surprised.
Ford and GM can afford to go slow on these as the production facility is already running on the gasoline versions. If the EV truck sells well I believe Ford/GM will ramp up accordingly.

Tesla is do or die on these models at high volume. There is no other product line to run through assembly.

smkettner said:
Tesla is do or die on these models at high volume. There is no other product line to run through assembly.

And no fallback architecture. It's 100% EV or nothing (unless they acquire Nikola) :!:

Tesla will slash employee pay and furlough employees
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/08/tesla-will-slash-employee-pay-furlough-hourly-workers.html

This is news "because Tesla"? All the automotive companies are doing similar.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/07/828892193/honda-nissan-furlough-workers-as-auto-plant-shutdowns-are-extended

Heh, I went back to the beginning of this thread and it’s kind of funny now.

When this thread began in 2015 who would have thought that little Tesla would end up delivering a million cars and Nissan would be on the brink of collapse in 2020?

The irony.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Nice move up today, wonder what's going on.
Unsure myself but glad to participate!
Nio also moved in a very similar fashion while US Auto was down a fair amount.
Maybe China money; seeing how well Tesla is selling in the biggest auto market. Nio also had a good month (for them).
Maybe investors seeing that Tesla will come out of this COVID-19 better than legacy auto.

Still moving up after hours. This is a big move.

mtndrew1 said:

When this thread began in 2015 who would have thought that little Tesla would end up delivering a million cars and Nissan would be on the brink of collapse in 2020?

The irony.

I never paid any attention to Tesla until the Model 3 price range. Last Oct I picked up a 2016 Leaf SL with a dying battery at 21.5K miles. When it triggered the battery warranty was when I learned about about Nissan being on the ropes. I got concerned because I dropped the car off 30 Dec 2019 and they really stalled and stalled because they say the new battery list price installed was $13K and I was like so what. Thankfully I had started my claim thru a national Leaf rep. She sent some emails and I picked up the car 12 Feb 2020. The 30 kWh battery pack was replaced with a new 40 kWh battery so now I have a 150 mile range went the dying one was down to about 60 mile range after on 38 months on the battery. It was an off lease car so I have no history. Hard to tell but this one seems to lose 1% of State Of Health about every 100 days so far so it should make it fine for 3-4 years and hopefully a used Model Y will be in reach by then. I am sad about Nissan since I have been driving them since 1973. I think this bat virus issue is going to make a successful turn around plan very hard. Other than the short battery life I love this Leaf but I can not stop reading about Tesla and SpaceX. :)

mtndrew1 said:

The irony.

Wait until they break into the truck market. I'm sure some will cancel reservations but many like me want one but haven't put down a reservation. I want to see it first and I never buy the first model year. But trucks in America are huge. If they really hit 500 plus EPA miles with a heat pump in the same price range as a f150 platinum....

danrjones said:
mtndrew1 said:

The irony.

Wait until they break into the truck market. I'm sure some will cancel reservations but many like me want one but haven't put down a reservation. I want to see it first and I never buy the first model year. But trucks in America are huge. If they really hit 500 plus EPA miles with a heat pump in the same price range as a f150 platinum....

I’m really curious to see how that things sells. Not my cup of tea but clearly there’s enormous interest and they shouldn’t have any trouble moving 100k units a year.

At some point in time I expect new ICE truck sales to drop before Tesla's truck hits the market due to delaying buying decisions just waiting to see truck live and up close.

Now that I have been driving the Leaf for 6 months I hope I am never forced to buy another ICE vehicle.

Tesla reported a small profit in the "seasonally weak" first quarter, despite the shutdown to operations in March. Cash and cash equivalents increased by $1.8B to $8.1B.

Q1 Tesla results

Not too bad, under the circumstances. Q2 figures to look pretty ugly, however.

I was interested by the pictures on pages 15 and 16 that showed the simplification of the rear underbody of the Model Y versus the Model 3: 2 pieces of metal versus 70 pieces.

Haven't had time to follow but it was bizarro their stock was up after hours to $876.

Maybe they lost less $ because they had to stop production at Fremont due to our Bay Area shelter at home orders? Build fewer cars == lose less money? ;)

Back