62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
dmacarthur said:
I should clarify that I seldom use epedal because it does not in fact regenerate any more than B mode for most of my driving, based on those blue regen squares on the S Plus, and in fact ends up using the mechanical brakes for much of its stopping power- I am not using it a 60 MPH but more likely at 20......

Your perception here is completely wrong. The regen meter uses different scale on B and E Pedal. Max regen in B mode is 38 KW. I clocked 52.5 KW on E Pedal on a deceleration from 40 mph. IOW, street level speeds.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/11/e-pedal-verses-b-mode.html

Thanks for the link to your great test and results...I hope people will use epedal and the brake lights...to avoid accidents. I don't think slowing rapidly all the time without brake lights should be a game.

E-Pedal...is the best! but some people don't care about facts. LOL :)

I stand corrected, thanks for the regen info, for me epedal isstill not particularly useful on dirt roads and curvy mountain highways where B mode is pretty good....

Possibly a bit off topic: I read recently that a Formula 1 car with a 1.6 liter engine can accelerate to 100 MPH and brake back to zero in 4 seconds. No regen there! and we obsess about wasting a tiny bit of energy!

dmacarthur said:
Possibly a bit off topic: I read recently that a Formula 1 car with a 1.6 liter engine can accelerate to 100 MPH and brake back to zero in 4 seconds. No regen there! and we obsess about wasting a tiny bit of energy!

I can't understand your logic. Using a HUGE amount of energy wisely is MUCH better than wasting a tiny amount of energy. I think we waste so much energy thoughtlessly that when we start driving EV and realize how little energy is needed to get us somewhere we somehow award ourselves the license to waste a bit since it was "saved" energy when compared to our wanton wasteful gasser days.

I hope I am wrong about that.

Not sure who is asking what of whom- my post was meant to point out that F1 is so hugely wasteful and unnecessary, all the EV drivers in the world probably do not save as much as racing uses compared to simply driving an ICE. However, Formula One cars now use a hybrid power unit which consists of a 1.6 liter turbocharged V6 and one or several electric motors, generating around 700 HP much of which is available instantly and with full torque a la our EVs, AND Formula 1 has pledged to be carbon neutral by 2050 (whatever THAT means!).

Turns out my original post was incorrect: F1 power plants DO regenerate, probably ePedal style, in order to use as much electrical power and as little gasoline power as possible and also to reduce brake wear. The power plant probably IS germaine to this list......

I'm not an F1 racing fan but the engineering is fascinating to me. I doubt the regen was added to reduce brake wear since those cars are designed to last for the duration of the race. Period. I'd bet that the engine is completely rebuilt or replaced after every race so brake life is irrelevant, as long they can last the length of the race. My guess is that since regen is nearly 'free' in terms of added weight and complexity and it captures energy that would otherwise be wasted, it allows for both lighter/smaller brakes and batteries. F1 teams would care about that even if they don't care about brake life.

For the month; Unlike most of you, I am still working EXCESSIVELY.

The short version; 1098.8 miles, 4.21 miles/kwh, $4.22 in home charging, $73.25 in EVgo credits used. Ahr 170.72 (down .18) SOH; 96.78% (down .09%)

The longer version;

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2020/04/march-2020-drive-report-all-kinds-of.html

Learjet said:
I had to stop reading your blog when in the first sentence you had to take a swipe at Trump. We only get one president at a time!

My negative views of trump started DECADES before he elected. But then again; that is what the short version is for!

Brake life isn't what F1 teams care most about - brake temperature is. If they can offload some of the deceleration energy into the motor and batteries via regen, they can use smaller and lighter brakes.

Learjet said:
I had to stop reading your blog when in the first sentence you had to take a swipe at Trump. We only get one president at a time!
At best.

Nixon had the balls to resign when required. Someone seems to be lacking something....

Capt. Crozier chose between his career and his crew. He chose his crew. Teddy Roosevelt is smiling.

Crozier for President.

DougWantsALeaf said:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/best-cars/electric-cars-best-real-world-range

Real world miles

Nissan Leaf Plus 217

Model 3 Standard Range Plus 181

Ouch

The article is all but useless to me. ZERO info on the test is a non starter for me. It is impossible for me to know how my driving style would conform to what they did. FYI; I know a few people with the T3 S Plus and in some circumstances they can likely out do my S Plus...

You have to click through to What car. Twice.

There’s a detailed description of their test process. They do a solid job of controlling for variables.

Interesting test. Thanks for sharing.

frontrangeleaf said:
You have to click through to What car. Twice.

There’s a detailed description of their test process. They do a solid job of controlling for variables.

Thanks for that. The testing results make sense along with my personal experience on range.

I laud the testers but even the lengths they went thru to "level the playing field" is not really treating each car fairly. It does provide a comparison between models for a very specific type of driving condition but again, no real data on how the course was driven other than it mirrored typical stop and go driving, etc.

But using the lowest regen, standard tire pressures, etc. is now putting all the cars into a single standard and negating the strengths each car has.

The purpose of a test like this is to create a comparable metric across cars under repeatable conditions, not to find what any given owner’s experience would be.

It’s a fair test that achieves its intent.

Playing Captain Obvious here, but I don’t understand your objection.

Back