The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a used Leaf a couple weeks back (not sure which model year but is possibly 2012), my first experience with an EV.
It's comfortable and does what is expected and I'm getting used to the trip planning side of things, most of my driving is sub 10km trips which it is great for.
Can't really fault anything other than the suspension which is a bit underdamped, it bounces quite noticeably when hitting bumps at over 70kph.
Lots of good info on this site which I look forward to finding.

I bought my first leaf in 2013. It was a bit of a "joke" bit of a "toy". I was about to start a new software start up and believed the Leaf would be cheaper to run. Boy was I right, it was miles, miles cheaper than my Audi A4 sport cabriolet. It got me through some very financially tough times. Whilst it was expensive to buy I never had to compromise on taking the family out for a day trip. God send when money is tight, you can transport for pennies.

I traded it in last week. I was really sad to see the old girl go. Even my little boy (7 years old) shed some tears in the back of the new leaf. He hasn't known another car. Before I drove off I said to the sales man "We've made a terrible mistake, we need to keep the old one". He was fearful of loosing the sale, laughed like it was a joke and walked off.

That old Leaf was synonymous with the start of my business, the birth of my child, my first move away from petrol fuel. I hadn't realised the Audi was the last petrol car I'd ever owned.

But wow, what a change the new Leaf is. I mean it's incredible. The range in the 2018 is night and day compared to my old 2011. 150 miles usable :eek: Even 70mph down the motorway gets like 115 mile range. The pro pilot is incredible. I am amazed that EV has come so far. I still miss the old girl but wow, what a chance 7 years in EV makes.

I love the NIssan Leaf!

Plus whatever happened to this forum? I thought it shut down, was replaced with SpeakEV? Looked for a new forum, was suprised it didn't accept my email address and found that this was the old forum brought back?

LeftieBiker said:
This forum hasn't gone anywhere. I joined in 2013, IIRC, and have been posting here since.

There have been several outages, lapses in registration or "something" He might have mistaken one of those incidents. There has been more than one occasion when I wondered whether the site was coming back.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
This forum hasn't gone anywhere. I joined in 2013, IIRC, and have been posting here since.

There have been several outages, lapses in registration or "something" He might have mistaken one of those incidents. There has been more than one occasion when I wondered whether the site was coming back.

The longest "outage" I remember was about 2 days, on a weekend. It was due to spamming, I think.

Just picked up a new to me Leaf a week ago

2015 Pearl White SV, 91% SOH, 32k KM from a senior who didn't drive it much. Canadian domestic market with daytime running lights preinstalled, Pacific Northwest climate. Paid $16.5k CAD, which at this point is probably $1 USD the rate it's falling

Looking for spare rims in prep for next winter. Saw a set of Nissan 2006 Xtrail 16 inch rims.

There's exactly one post here from a member that says EU Xtrail rims work, so I might gamble on it and go for it. Otherwise I just keep waiting for a set of 2002-2004 Altima 16s

First post here...New Leaf owner 2019 SL Plus

GKelZBal.jpg

ebhSMp2l.jpg

8VMMw3Vl.jpg

DougWantsALeaf said:
Enjoy, please post efficiency and battery stats as you use the car.

Efficiency (miles/kWh) - Basically the result of how the right foot is initially "trained".

Cinnabar said:
I picked mine up on Sunday from Premier Nissan in San Jose. It took about an hour and 45 minutes, which was great. I told them I needed to be out of there by 2:00 pm, and they easily made that deadline. It was a pretty painless experience. I wish I would have gotten a bit more for my trade in and the really pushed the extended warranty very hard, to no avail.

Took the car straight downtown for the dinner and the Shark's game and then home after the game. I had many miles to spare.

Drove into work today and the 32 mile commute ate almost half the battery. I will trickle charge today and have plenty of juice to get home. I miss my carpool lane stickers all ready, and look forward to getting the new white stickers in 6-8 weeks. I will hopefully have some flexible hours until then!

I am also seeing more Leafs on the road. It looks like their deliveries are finally ramping up.

I found my original delivery post. Today is my nine year anniversary of taking delivery. The replacement battery still has all its bars and it is still my daily driver. It’s been a great car and the cost per mile over its life is orders of magnitude cheaper than an ICE vehicle.

Cinnabar said:
I found my original delivery post. Today is my nine year anniversary of taking delivery. The replacement battery still has all its bars and it is still my daily driver. It’s been a great car and the cost per mile over its life is orders of magnitude cheaper than an ICE vehicle.
It's great that your LEAF is serving you so well, but the "order of magnitude" term has a fairly well understood meaning, at least in engineering circles, and it's somewhat unlikely that your $/mi is even ONE order of magnitude cheaper, let alone several. How about just saying, "much cheaper", and let it go at that?

Levenkay said:
Cinnabar said:
It's great that your LEAF is serving you so well, but the "order of magnitude" term has a fairly well understood meaning, at least in engineering circles, and it's somewhat unlikely that your $/mi is even ONE order of magnitude cheaper, let alone several. How about just saying, "much cheaper", and let it go at that?

Sorry, I didn’t know this was an IEEE conforming site.

So I probably added an ‘s’ to “orders of magnitude”

I haven’t owned and driven a car for 9 years since forever.

Every time I’m a passenger in an ICE I feel like I’ve taken a step back.

It also costs a lot of energy and money to have built and then buy a new car every three years. I’ve driven this for 9 years almost daily.

Maybe “cost of ownership“ is a better term, but thanks for your negativity.

We just bought our second LEAF. We purchased a used 2018 SV with the technology package in white. Purchase price was $18,300 with 25k miles on it.

After going around and around for several months trying to negotiate on various new cars, focusing on the last of the 2019 Plus models, and then the 2020 S Plus cars, we finally decided that the newer cars were too steep of a price to pay for the larger 60kwh battery. We then started to keep an eye out for a deal on a 40kwh used LEAF.

Lately used prices have seemed to go through a good bit of a price drop (probably due the COVID-19 pandemic). This drop in prices, and the start of things opening back up in California, gave us the opportunity to get a car at a price we were comfortable with. Especially since we will be selling our 2015 LEAF.

Currently we are working on cleaning up our 2015 SV Premium and getting it ready for sale.

This new car is a very nice upgrade and we are looking forward to being able to go further on electricity power - #roadtripsummer

evtifosi said:
We just bought our second LEAF. We purchased a used 2018 SV with the technology package in white. Purchase price was $18,300 with 25k miles on it.

After going around and around for several months trying to negotiate on various new cars, focusing on the last of the 2019 Plus models, and then the 2020 S Plus cars, we finally decided that the newer cars were too steep of a price to pay for the larger 60kwh battery. We then started to keep an eye out for a deal on a 40kwh used LEAF.

Lately used prices have seemed to go through a good bit of a price drop (probably due the COVID-19 pandemic). This drop in prices, and the start of things opening back up in California, gave us the opportunity to get a car at a price we were comfortable with. Especially since we will be selling our 2015 LEAF.

Currently we are working on cleaning up our 2015 SV Premium and getting it ready for sale.

This new car is a very nice upgrade and we are looking forward to being able to go further on electricity power - #roadtripsummer

Is there any incentive on a used EV purchase? Your prices must be higher because there are some pretty good deals and yeah, its all SL's or SV's with tech so super high MSRP's but seeing several getting them in the mid to upper 20's which means low 20's after fed tax credits.

The Bay Area deals have been pretty hard to come by on new cars - I worked for 3 months trying to get the right incentives, discounts and everything. I worked with dealers hundreds of miles away. IF the new deals were better it might have made some since to look at a new car instead of the used one we bought.

When we bought our 2015 I received $5000 off for financing at 0% interest...$5000 more as a sales incentive, and then we were able to do the $7500 FTC and $2500 State rebate - so the $34,000 car cost $18k or so out of pocket.

The best prices on a 2020 SV were $27,000 - after factoring in all the rebates we would qualify for - and that is if I could qualify for the full Federal rebate in 2020...which with lowered earnings due to COVID-19 would be a question mark at this point.

edit: Also, there are some used rebates and utility rebates that the car qualifies for so I will save a bit...

evtifosi said:
The Bay Area deals have been pretty hard to come by on new cars - I worked for 3 months trying to get the right incentives, discounts and everything. I worked with dealers hundreds of miles away. IF the new deals were better it might have made some since to look at a new car instead of the used one we bought.

When we bought our 2015 I received $5000 off for financing at 0% interest...$5000 more as a sales incentive, and then we were able to do the $7500 FTC and $2500 State rebate - so the $34,000 car cost $18k or so out of pocket.

The best prices on a 2020 SV were $27,000 - after factoring in all the rebates we would qualify for - and that is if I could qualify for the full Federal rebate in 2020...which with lowered earnings due to COVID-19 would be a question mark at this point.

edit: Also, there are some used rebates and utility rebates that the car qualifies for so I will save a bit...

Gotcha. Yeah, the best deals are on "2019" SV and SL Pluses. But if there aren't any in your area? One WA State dealer said they got a bunch from California because they weren't moving then the incentives poured in so they really got over.

Back